Swearing a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jamess12
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamess12

Guest
Is swearing, when not being offensive and just with friends a sin?
 
Depends on who you ask, if you ask someone who isn’t a die hard " Church Militant " or strict to the follower of everything Catholic online, then yes to some degree they will tell you it is a sin.

Everyone else online is going to tell you no it isn’t.

God did give you a conscience though, if that conscience is telling you it is a problem, then deal with it. If you are looking for concrete solid advise from strangers on the internet to guide your immortal soul, You found the wrong place.
 
Last edited:
I don’t think it is sinful in and of itself as long as you are not using it against someone, blaspheming, or causing scandal. Maybe not the best choice of words though.
 
Depends on who you ask, if you ask someone who isn’t a die hard " Church Militant " or strict to the follower of everything Catholic online, then yes to some degree they will tell you it is a sin.

Everyone else online is going to tell you no it isn’t.

God did give you a conscience though, if that conscience is telling you it is a problem,
Agree with OSN (due to 10 char rule)
 
40.png
Jamess12:
Is swearing, when not being offensive and just with friends a sin?
How is swearing not offensive? And why does it being with your friends change anything?
Agreed, that’s what I was thinking
 
Are you using the Lord’s Name in vain, or are you just talking in foul language about bodily functions, etc.?

Are you actually swearing false vows, or are you just using God’s Name carelessly or offensively? Are you actually trying to bring down a curse on someone’s life and property, or are you just saying nasty insults?

Basically these are the distinctions between mortal sin, venial sin, and just having a potty mouth. There is a very long thread where I quoted St. Alphonsus Liguori on these distinctions, if you are interested.

It is better to keep it clean, and to say what you mean and mean what you say. But there is leeway before you hit sin.
 
Last edited:
It’s best to stop cussing/swearing as soon as you can. I had a very foul mouth until my daughter was born. It was extremely difficult to stop cussing so much but I had to because I did not want her to hear that language. Regardless the sinful nature, it’s a bad habit and one that’s hard to break the longer you do it.
 
Not to hijack the thread but… how even did you? I’d REALLY like to know.
 
Letters that form words are not sinful. It’s the intent of the words. Saying I stepped in “s” not sinful. Calling someone that name with anger and malice… sinful.
 
How did I stop swearing?

Oh man, hardest thing I’ve ever done only second to quitting smoking.

Lots of mindfulness. Practicing delaying your reactions in speech and thinking about what you say. I will still let out a certain vulgarity on occasion when scared or when I accidentally hurt myself, but that is more frequently becoming “crap”. My wife helped me out because we quit together and would call each other out when we would slip up.
 
Of course having been raised in a conservative evangelical home, the worst word I ever heard, and only once when my dad was extremely angry, was “sh*t”.
 
Of course having been raised in a conservative evangelical home, the worst word I ever heard, and only once when my dad was extremely angry, was “sh*t”.
sounds good to me. just last week I had dinner in a rough neighborhood where parents tell their children it’s ok to robe and physically assault people…
 
To the OP - Yes. James 3:10:

New International Version
Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be.

New Living Translation
And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!

English Standard Version
From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.
 
Last edited:
How is swearing not offensive? And why does it being with your friends change anything?
Something becomes offensive when there is somebody who’s offended.

If I say something like ‘my toe ______ hurts’, ‘this looks like _____’ , the curse word technically isn’t offensive if my friends do not mind such language.

That being said, it’s still better to avoid cursing even if it’s not a sin. Once you’re used to saying certain words, they can come out at the wrong time and it’ll cost you.
 
40.png
Irishmom2:
How is swearing not offensive? And why does it being with your friends change anything?
Something becomes offensive when there is somebody who’s offended.

If I say something like ‘my toe ______ hurts’, ‘this looks like _____’ , the curse word technically isn’t offensive if my friends do not mind such language.
Everyone should be offended. Just because a group of people are not offended doesn’t mean it isn’t offensive, rather I would say there is something wrong with the people that think cursing is acceptable as long as no one is offended.
 
I mean, I get where you’re coming from. But then again I wonder why such words have that much power in the first place, especially when the words are not insults towards someone.
 
Yeah well the problem is in this day and age everyone is offended by everything… so this idea that we need some sort of societal Vatican III to study linguistics is silly. Language is fluid and changes. There is no moral difference between saying dog feces in my yard and dog “s” in my yard. None…
 
Swearing is venial sin.

I guess it’s understandable if you drop say a hammer on your toe and you let out an expletive. But dropping the F bomb every other word in a common sentence reads to me as someone not intelligent enough to express what they’re saying.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top