M
Matt25
Guest
I received a leaflet from AI UK this weekend. It asked me to write to the Royal Nepalese Army on behalf of Nepali student Sanjiv Kumar Karna currently imprisoned. It also mentioned Chinese citizen Rebiya Kadeer recently released from jail in China and Timonsheno Pekmezi released in Albania as a result of AI campaigns. None of these campaigns are likely to be much reported on Fox.A couple of people have replied to my comments about Amnesty International by telling me that I have been unaware of AI’s balanced approach because the media has only highlited the anti West side of AI’s comments.
However, while this arguement seems reasonable, it does not explain why the majority of major public demonstations that AI have had in my city over the last 20 years, have been directed against the United States or my own government.
Again I make the point that AI seems to have been somewhat one sided in its attack on infringements against human freedom and dignity.
I suppose you will think that somehow these below the radar AI campaigns which change lives around the world are less important than AI reports on Gauntanamo Bay. Human Rights activists however are less partisan than you. A wrong is a wrong whoever commits it.
On the subject of China you can see an AI report at web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGASA170012004 and you can see what AI Canada, to take a random example, is doing about it at amnesty.ca/china/actions/