The Anglican Church Doesn't Really Expect Much of Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnStrachan

Full disclosure - I am an Anglican. I converted from RC church in 2010.

There is lots to love about being Anglican (for me anyway):
  • married clergy
  • female clergy
  • pronounced involvement of laity in the life, ministry and governance of the church
  • inclusivity
  • strong commitment to social outreach
  • willingness to tackle difficult issues (even if they cause fracture)
  • wonderful music and liturgy
  • emphasis on bible study and prayer
  • commitment to stewardship education
For all the things I love about my chosen faith, I can’t help but notice that the church actually expects very little of it’s adherents.

For example;
  • the is no Sunday obligation
  • no holy days of obligation
  • no requirement to fast or abstain
  • very little in the way of devotions
  • sin is often discussed of in social terms as opposed to personal terms
Is this the case in other Protestant churches. Is the bar so low that pretty much anyone can come and go as they please with very little in the way of commitment?

Last edited:
I can’t help but notice that the church actually expects very little of it’s adherents
This is very different from my experience when I was an Anglican, although I lived in a very conservative diocese. The minimum expectations for orthodoxy and orthopraxy were quite high.

What diocese were you a member of?
Sydney. Very evangelical, very Reformed, very conservative (socially and theologically, but not liturgically!). Although I was an Anglo-Catholic, I did generally reflect the diocese’s conservative theological positions.

Last edited:
Hi John,

Having been a member of the Methodist church as well as a member of several non-denominational Christian churches all over the U.S., I can unequivocally state that your experience is almost identical to mine.

One non-denominational church I attended had me playing in the band during Sunday services after I had only been attending for three or so weeks. While I wouldn’t have considered myself a “member” at that point, I was pretty darn close pretty darn quick.

Last edited:
If you’d like, l can find you Anglicans who differ on many of those points.

I doubt you’d find the overall experience to your liking.

For example;
Is this the case in other Protestant churches. Is the bar so low that pretty much anyone can come and go as they please with very little in the way of commitment?
In my Reformed community, yes, it’s the same.

It depends on the Protestant church. There are plenty of Baptist, Evangelical, and non-denominational churches where you’re expected to show up for scheduled worship unless you’re ill, and expected to support the church financially, and maybe even expected to behave to a certain standard in public, or else you’ll get called out on your behavior and maybe even expelled. And I know LDS (not Protestant, but close enough) has a significant level of expectations for its members.

On the other hand, quite a few mainline Protestant churches these days seem to leave it up to the individual.

Last edited:
It is hard to quantify this aspect of Church membership, but what about the interior obedience and progression - that is, the walking of one’s faith - to holiness? That interior call is certainly acknowledged in the Catholic Church (“All are called to holiness and to the perfection of charity.”) in the teachings - in the words - in the Faith. But is it present in the local parish? That call into Christ, into His Life, into His fullness - is certainly present to all who hear it personally and long for it, in the Catholic Church. Individual pastors may or may not emphasize it, or even acknowledge it.

But I found some non-Catholic churches respond to such talk with “Huh?”

There are plenty of Baptist, Evangelical, and non-denominational churches where you’re expected to show up for scheduled worship unless you’re ill, and expected to support the church financially, and maybe even expected to behave to a certain standard in public
This jumped out at me. I don’t know how it works in the Anglican/Episcopal church, but I do know that the Catholic Church has very modest financial expectations of its adherents, compared to many other churches. The huge, very wealthy Baptist church across the road from me requires you to submit your tax returns, so that they can see how much you make, and whether you are fulfilling your tithe. I was told this by someone who attends this church from time to time (I don’t think she’s a member, she also attends another “non-denominational” church), and a guy who tried to sell me a car told me that “there’s a lot of money in that church”.

I would probably be more “at home”, in a temporal sense, at the very, very conservative, traditionalist Anglican church in my city — temperamentally, culturally, socially, and so on. They celebrate Mass from the 1928 BCP, ad orientem, communion rail, traditional black vestments and pall for Requiem Masses, much to like about the place. If they were to come under Anglicanorum coetibus, that would be my parish. However, there is not enough money or fortune in the entire world, that could compel me to leave the Catholic Church. Never.

Last edited:
I will say you are bang on about the giving. I would know - I’m knee deep in it for a living. I often lamented as an RC how the clergy had this perception that their flock was poor so they didn’t ask. As a result, they didn’t get.

married clergy
Eastern Catholics have that
female clergy
That’s not a good thing
  • pronounced involvement of laity in the life, ministry and governance of the church
  • inclusivity
I refer you to Matthew 7:13
strong commitment to social outreach
The Catholic Church is the largest charity on earth
willingness to tackle difficult issues (even if they cause fracture)
Gay marriage and abortion aren’t the gospel
wonderful music and liturgy
Not arguing that one
emphasis on bible study and prayer
I’ve always been told the importance of both these things as a Catholic.
commitment to stewardship education
Again, why do you think Catholics don’t do this?

Yeah, I know about the Sydney Anglicans from Robert Haddad, I’d say they are definitely not Anglo Catholics.

very little of it’s adherents.

For example;
Again, I’m baffled on why you didn’t just stay Catholic

Since other users have pointed out that your problems (assuming that the “low expectations” are bothering you) could probably be solved merely by moving dioceses, couldn’t you have remained Catholic and gained what you found in the Anglican church merely by switching rites or parishes? The Eastern rite permits married men to the priesthood, and everything else you mentioned (besides female clergy, which I don’t understand being a stumbling block) could be found merely by attending a different parish, or becoming more involved, inclusive, and studious yourself, while encouraging others to join you. That’s how involvement works.

There was an Episcopal Priest in my family. You pretty much covered it. On Sundays the EC congregation asks for forgiveness in a general prayer before communion. That is it I think. I am sure there are other prayers, but no. No rules save one very old one that I don’t think is observed.
It used to be that if you were divorced, you would have to get permission from the Bishop before you could be married in the EC. There is also confirmation at the age of 13. Classes if you convert I believe. Can’t think of anything else.

As a cradle Anglican in the CofE that is not my experience, especially during my preparation for Confirmation. I can see that your observations might apply in some cases today however. As fide has already noted, some ministers may or may not emphasise such things.

In the 1950’s the Archbishops of Canterbury and York issued a short guide to the duties of church membership. As far as I’m aware it still applies although some have called for it to be adapted as recommendations rather than requirements. In brief it says that all baptised and confirmed members must follow the example of Christ; to be regular in private daily prayer; to read the Bible carefully; to attend church every Sunday; to receive Holy Communion frequently and faithfully; to give personal service to the church; to give money for the work of the Church; to uphold marriage and ensure children are brought up to love and serve the Lord.

If you are within the CofE it may help to read the introductory pages of the 1662 BCP which deal with feast days to be observed together with days of fasting and abstinence.

With regard to sin, read ‘A Commination or Denouncing of God’s Anger and Judgements Against Sinners’ in the 1662 BCP. Also read the opening sections of Morning and Evening Prayer. For preparation for Holy Communion see the Exhortations in the 1662 rite for Holy Communion. The 1662 BCP has been criticised in some quarters as placing too much emphasis on sin but it is still the official prayer book of the CofE and one of its sources of doctrine.

In terms of devotions many of the late Medieval practices particularly those surrounding the Cult of Saints were toned down or thrown out by the English Reformers as some bordered on superstition or were blatantly superstitious. (The Catholic Church acknowledged that this was an issue at the time and addressed it at the 25th Session of the Council of Trent.)

Many Catholic style devotions were later reintroduced into the CofE by the Ritualists during the 19th century and Anglo-Catholic prayer books are a source of these.

would probably be more “at home”, in a temporal sense, at the very, very conservative, traditionalist Anglican church in my city — temperamentally, culturally, socially, and so on. They celebrate Mass from the 1928 BCP, ad orientem , communion rail, traditional black vestments and pall for Requiem Masses, much to like about the place.
You would like my parish, too. For these reasons and more.

The prayer before the Eucharist is the general confession, followed by the general absolution, from the celebrant or the Bishop, if present. Which Anglicans consider as efficacious as the also available individual auricular confession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back