The Bible is a Catholic Document

• Thread starter Thread starter Little_Mary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Little_Mary

Would anyone like to comment on the historical fact that the Bible is a Catholic document compiled by Catholics for Catholics?

Little Mary:
Would anyone like to comment on the historical fact that the Bible is a Catholic document compiled by Catholics for Catholics?
I always thought that the Bible was God’s document.

It is inspired by God, but it written by believers for beleivers…God worked though beleivers to give us scripture and the church to cannonize the books that belong on the chrisitna bible, she also protected and transcribed it for 1500 years until the printing press…

By the way did you know Guttenberg was Catholic…:whistle:

40.png
Ric:
I always thought that the Bible was God’s document.
The Bible is not, per se, a document, but, rather, a collection of documents. Those documents were written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit so that they may be said to have God for their author. Those inspired documents can also truly be said to have human authors. Those books that comprise the New Testament were all written by members of the Church—the Church which. by the way, antedates all of the New Testament writings. The Church brought the New Testament into being, not the other way around.

Justin

O.K. I’ll take the bate.

Do you want only Catholics to have it? I would want to share it with as many different people as I could. I suppose the Old Testament was written by Hebrews for the Jewish.

Well if it is yours, I want to thank you. I read my Bible everyday. I state verses from it when I pray at every meal, and I mean every meal. This might be a bit surprising but when I finish a private prayer I do the Sign of the Cross.

I suppose there are many things that happened in the early Church that we should thank them for sharing with the rest of us.

Do you want only Catholics to have it?
No, but I think it needs to be understood with the context of the Church, not just “me, Jesus, and the Bible”.
I would want to share it with as many different people as I could.
Me, too…along with the rest of God’s truth whose fullness is found in the Catholic Church.
I suppose there are many things that happened in the early Church that we should thank them for sharing with the rest of us.
Indeed. In fact, there are volumes upon volumes written by the early Christians which, while not inspired Scripture, are just waiting for you. I invite you to investigate that which the early Christians have left to share with the rest of us.

Justin

40.png
Shibboleth:
O.K. I’ll take the bate.

Do you want only Catholics to have it? I would want to share it with as many different people as I could. I suppose the Old Testament was written by Hebrews for the Jewish.

Well if it is yours, I want to thank you. I read my Bible everyday. I state verses from it when I pray at every meal, and I mean every meal. This might be a bit surprising but when I finish a private prayer I do the Sign of the Cross.

No, no I do not want only Catholics to have it. Please forgive me if it sounded like that to you. We do not claim it as our own and no one elses, but historically Catholics were the only christians around when it was compiled and finalized.

Catholics are sometimes wrongly criticized by others who THINK that we pay little or no attention to the bible or that we are even anti-biblical , neither of which is true.

And yes, we should thank “them” for many things that happened in the early Church, and for the faith that we have now. I am a cradle Catholic, but inasmuch as I was born 1,964 years later, I am very thankful that all of the teachings, traditions, sacraments, and what we now know as the bible, have been preserved and handed down, all the way to today!🙂

40.png
1962Missal:
The Bible is not, per se, a document, but, rather, a collection of documents. Those documents were written under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit so that they may be said to have God for their author. Those inspired documents can also truly be said to have human authors. Those books that comprise the New Testament were all written by members of the Church—the Church which. by the way, antedates all of the New Testament writings. The Church brought the New Testament into being, not the other way around.

Justin
:yup: :amen:

Little Mary:
No, no I do not want only Catholics to have it. Please forgive me if it sounded like that to you. We do not claim it as our own and no one elses, but historically Catholics were the only christians around when it was compiled and finalized.
🙂
It is true. Catholics, with the exception of small isolated pockets of heresy were the only Christians at the time the cannon was closed in 397 AD by the Church through the council of Carthage. This is simply a matter of historical record, not a device to exclude our separated brethren from using those same scriptures.

Gerry

Yes! Yes! For example the Pope’s documents are not a far cry from St. Paul’s letters.

Protestanst you need to understand the Catholic community spirit of Scripture. People talk about taking Scripture out of context. The Catholic Church is the context of Scripture. By not being part of the Catholic Church Protestants are taking the entire Bible out of context.

Little Mary:
It is an assertion that assumes that the Catholic Church of today is the same church that complied the Scriptures. Many Protestants, including myself, reject this assertion.

~Matt

Richard Lamb:
It is inspired by God, but it written by believers for beleivers…God worked though beleivers to give us scripture and the church to cannonize the books that belong on the chrisitna bible, she also protected and transcribed it for 1500 years until the printing press…

By the way did you know Guttenberg was Catholic…:whistle:
:amen:

40.png
p90:
It is an assertion that assumes that the Catholic Church of today is the same church that complied the Scriptures. Many Protestants, including myself, reject this assertion.

~Matt
Just because you think otherwise, doesn’t make it any less true (except for you). The Catholic Church is indeed the same church that compiled the Scriptures.

Originally posted by p90 (Matt)
oh. Can you start another thread with this? Or get Little Mary’s permission to run with this statement on this thread? This is a topic all by itself! So much Scripture can be explored in that statement!!!

Your Catholic sister in Christ,
Maria

The Catholic Bible was the only Bible in use until Luther removed a number of books. This is fact. The Protestant Bible is the Catholic Bible minus those books.

Before Luther there wasn’t Protestantism. So the Catholic Church until Luther was the very same Catholic Church of 397AD

In the Church’s three year cycle - just about the entire Bible is read everyday at Mass. First Reading OT - Second NT - Third - Gospels.

The old testament is mainly a document compiled by jews, not catholics.

Contrary to common belief Luther did not exclude any books from the catholic Bible, and included all the deuterocannonicals. I suppose this point silly though since the deuterocannonicals didn’t actually become part of the Bible until the Council of Trent was held AFTER Martin Luther had made his translation.

40.png
Andyman1517:
Contrary to common belief Luther did not exclude any books from the catholic Bible, and included all the deuterocannonicals. I suppose this point silly though since the deuterocannonicals didn’t actually become part of the Bible until the Council of Trent was held AFTER Martin Luther had made his translation.
You are very wrong here are some quotes from the councils.
“[It has been decided] that nothing except the Canonical Scriptures should be read in the church under the name of the Divine Scriptures. But the Canonical Scriptures are:Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Josue, Judges, Ruth, four books of Kings, Paraleipomenon two books, Job, the Psalter of David, five books of Solomon**, twelve books of the Prophets, Isaias, Jeremias*, Daniel, Ezechiel, Tobias, Judith, Esther, two books of Esdras, two books of the Maccabees. Moreover, of the New Testament: Four books of the Gospels, the Acts of the Apostles one book, thirteen epistles of Paul the Apostle, one of the same to the Hebrews, two of Peter, three of John, one of James, one of Jude, the Apocalypse of John.” Council of Carthage III,Canon 47(A.D. 397),in DEN,39-40
  • Included Baruch.
    ** Includes [Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom, and a portion of the Psalms]

Besides the canonical Scriptures, nothing shall be read, in the church under the title of divine writings.’. The canonical books are:—Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, the four books of Kings, the two books of Paraleipomena(Chronicles), Job, the Psalms of David, the five books of Solomon**, the twelve books of the (Minor) Prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah*, Daniel, Ezekiel,** Tobias**,** Judith**, Esther, two books of Esdras, two books of the Maccabees. The books of the New Testament are:—the four Gospels, the Acts of the Apostles, thirteen Epistles of S. Paul, one Epistle of S. Paul to the Hebrews, two Epistles of S. Peter, three Epistles of S. John, the Epistle of S. James, the Epistle of S. Jude, the Revelation of S. John. Concerning the confirmation of this canon, the transmarine Church shall be consulted." Council of Hippo, Canon 36 (A.D. 393), in HCC,2:400
"Likewise it has been said: Now indeed we must treat of the divine Scriptures, what the universal Catholic Church accepts and what she ought to shun.The order of the Old Testament begins here: Genesis one book, Exodus one book, Leviticus one book, Numbers one book, Deuteronomy one book, Josue Nave one book, Judges one book, Ruth one book, Kings four books, Paraleipomenon two books, Psalms one book, Solomon three books**, Proverbs one book, Ecclesiastes one book, Canticle of Canticles one book, likewise Wisdom one book,** Ecclesiasticus** one book. Likewise the order of the Prophets. Isaias one book, Jeremias one book*,with Ginoth, that is, with his lamentations, Ezechiel one book,Daniel one book, Osee one book, Micheas one book, Joel one book, Abdias one book, Jonas one book, Nahum one book, Habacuc one book, Sophonias one book, Aggeus one book, Zacharias one book, Malachias one book. Likewise the order of the histories. Job one book, Tobias one book, Esdras two books, Esther one book, Judith one book, Machabees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back