M
mrs_abbott
Guest
Edit: almost forgot my favorite pejorative, “Popery”.
A fragrant aroma before God.
Peace and God Bless
Nicene
Edit: almost forgot my favorite pejorative, “Popery”.
A fragrant aroma before God.
Peace and God Bless
Nicene
More from the Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians:No, some of the other comments Ignatius made clarify what he was saying. For example:
“But shall I, when permitted to write on this point,** reach such a height of self-esteem, that though being a condemned man, I should issue commands to you as if I were an apostle?**” (The Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians, 2)
No, just copying and pasting.…wonders if anyone actually comes here to have “dialogue”…![]()
This is from a letter to the Church in Rome from St. Ignatius, the bishop, who was aware that his martyrdom was imminent.Ignatius
Roman Catholics often accuse evangelicals of being rebellious, being disobedient to godly authorities. Passages of scripture like Jude 11 are cited, and are applied to Protestantism. Often, Catholics quote passages from the writings of the church fathers such as the following from Ignatius:
"I do not, as Peter and Paul, issue commandments unto you. They were apostles; I am but a condemned man: they were free, while I am, even until now, a servant." (The Epistle of Ignatius to the Romans, 4)
Just waiting for the storm to settle a little, didn’t think that I’d get everyone involved so fast.…wonders if anyone actually comes here to have “dialogue”…![]()
Seems pretty commonplace on the forum… Don’t you think?No, just copying and pasting.![]()
Unfortunately, you did not prepare by reading the actual documents in question. You simply read Eric Svendsen’s blog and then pasted his blog page into a series of posts in this thread. You are clearly not seeking truth or you would have expended more energy into researching the context of the original documents before posting.Seems pretty commonplace on the forum… Don’t you think?
It’s how I knew the manner I would be responded against, I viewed my previous ECF thread…Always walk in prepared, right?![]()
Some of my work is from Eric, but I’ve never as far as I know been to his blog.Unfortunately, you did not prepare by reading the actual documents in question. You simply read Eric Svendsen’s blog and then pasted his blog page into a series of posts in this thread. You are clearly not seeking truth or you would have expended more energy into researching the context of the original documents before posting.
My opinion … Christ is the rock whom the church is built but will get into that later.Since you view the church as a “body of believers”, what about when Jesus tells Peter “upon this rock I will build my church”? What does that mean?
So Jesus in a way is Kepha? Since Kepha in Aramaic means Rock?My opinion … Christ is the rock whom the church is built but will get into that later.
Yes Tertullian was Catholic but later in his life fell into the heresy of Montanism, however, he was Catholic in his theology save his Montanistic failings and most certainly believed Apostolic succession and one Church established by Christ which was then deposited down through succession to the other bishops as his writings prove…And I quote you saying tertullian “Tertullian was VERY Catholic”
hmmmmm![]()
His website is a blog. If you’ve been to his website, you’ve been to his blog. Mr. Svendsen’s site www.ntrmin.org is a “Real Clear Theology Blog”. “They do the theology for you… so you don’t hurt yourself”. (Or check actual documents yourself).Some of my work is from Eric, but I’ve never as far as I know been to his blog.
Eden, dont think I am done here.
Thanks! That’s what I was looking for . . . your opinion.My opinion … Christ is the rock whom the church is built but will get into that later.
It definitely helps.Seems pretty commonplace on the forum… Don’t you think?
It’s how I knew the manner I would be responded against, I viewed my previous ECF thread…Always walk in prepared, right?![]()
1Cr 10:4 And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them:** and that Rock was Christ. **So Jesus in a way is Kepha? Since Kepha in Aramaic means Rock?
And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Kepha, and on this kepha I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Matthew 16:17-19.
The name Peter came from the Greek Word, Petros which means Rock.
Wrong,Unfortunately, you did not prepare by reading the actual documents in question. You simply read Eric Svendsen’s blog and then pasted his blog page into a series of posts in this thread. You are clearly not seeking truth or you would have expended more energy into researching the context of the original documents before posting.
4th century church councels, is that the best you’ve got. Even I know this was after Romes grab for power.“Concerning this Holy Catholic Church Paul writes to Timothy, ‘That thou mayest know haw thou oughtest to behave thyself in the House of God, which is the Church of the Living God, the pillar and ground of the truth’” Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures,18:25(A.D. 350).
"[T]he Article, In one Holy Catholic Church,’ on which, though one might say many things, we will speak but briefly. It is called Catholic then because it extends over all the world, from one end of the earth to the other; and because it teaches universally and completely one and all the doctrines which ought to come to men’s knowledge, concerning things both visible and invisible, heavenly and earthly… for this cause the Faith has securely delivered to thee now the Article, And in one Holy Catholic Church;’ that thou mayest avoid their wretched meetings, and ever abide with the Holy Church Catholic in which thou wast regenerated. And if ever thou art sojourning in cities, inquire not simply where the Lord’s House is (for the other sects of the profane also attempt to call their own dens houses of the Lord), nor merely where the Church is, but where is the Catholic Church. For this is the peculiar name of this Holy Church, the mother of us all, which is the spouse of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Only-begotten Son of God.” Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lectures, 18:23,26 (A.D. 350).
“I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the remission of sins, the resurrection of the flesh, and eternal life. Amen.” Apostles Creed (A.D. 360).
“And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the life-giver, Who proceeds from the Father, Who with the Father and the Son is together worshiped and together glorified, Who spoke through the prophets; in one holy Catholic, and apostolic Church.” Constantinopolitan Creed (A.D. 381).
“Those who from heresy turn to orthodoxy, and to the portion of those who are being saved, we receive according to the following method and custom: Arians, and Macedonians, and Sabbatians, and Novatians, who call themselves Cathari or Aristori, and Quarto-decimans or Tetradites, and Apollinarians, we receive, upon their giving a written renunciation [of their errors] and anathematize every heresy which is not in accordance with the Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church of God.” Council of Constantinople I, Canon 7 (A.D. 381).
).
The catholic church from the first and second and dare i say into the 3rd century(certainly to Ireneaus 190 ad) is not and was not the Church at Rome as we now know it. And the ECF’s did not consider it as such…So Jesus founded Protestantism on Peter? That’s the church?
Or do you believe the CC used to be the correct church until the scandals started arising in 700 A.D.?
Unfortunately, you didn’t take the time to consult the actual documents for this thread topic. You just pasted Eric’s quotes and commentary. Eric says “We do the theology… So you don’t hurt yourselves”. I disagree. I think you hurt your credibility by trusting his evaluations.Wrong,
I’ve read many many ECF’s and the contextual verbage around them.