The Duggers' 17 children

  • Thread starter Thread starter monicatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
file this under** I **for “I’m gonna hate myself in the morning…”

but here goes:
None…of…YOUR…business.
i heartilly disagree.

their family image is rolled out on every facet of modern media. valubiliter, jugiter, ad nauseum.

they chose this.

they’ve made their family, and most of their family practices*** everyone’s ***business. the Duggar parents should have known they were choosing this, too. with wisdom and prudence, they should have chosen differently.
 
file this under** I **for “I’m gonna hate myself in the morning…”

but here goes:

i heartilly disagree.

their family image is rolled out on every facet of modern media. valubiliter, jugiter, ad nauseum.

they chose this.

they’ve made their family, and most of their family practices*** everyone’s ***business. the Duggar parents should have known they were choosing this, too. with wisdom and prudence, they should have chosen differently.
Oh, I don’t disagree that they’ve put their lives out there for the world to see.

What I was stating what none of her business was how long anyone breastfeeds (or even IF they breastfeed). She stated
It’s important to try and breastfeed longer, a year or more.
The fact is some people can’t, do not like to, or choose not to nurse for 1 year or more. The fact is also true that those children who are not nursed for a year or more are no less loved, cherished, or cared for by their parents! The fact is a woman’s fertility CAN return while nursing (mine did! that is why my children are so close together! Took us 3 babies to figure that one out!)

So when I say it’s none of her business, it is in general terms. She cannot dictate how someone else should nurse her child!
 
Not to mention the fact that that kind of comment is extremely hurtful to women who would love more than anything to be able to nurse their child, but are not able to. 😦 Nursing does not a good mother make. And this judgmental attitude is exactly why pro-breastfeeding advocates get a bad reputation.
I nursed my oldest until 2.5 years old and am still nursing my youngest at 22 months. Would I ever pass judgment on how long another mother nurses their baby? I sure hope not. Just like I don’t appreciate other people telling me that extended breastfeeding is wrong or gross or weird. And there are plenty of people out there that feel that way.
 
file this under** I **for “I’m gonna hate myself in the morning…”

but here goes:

i heartilly disagree.

their family image is rolled out on every facet of modern media. valubiliter, jugiter, ad nauseum.

they chose this.

they’ve made their family, and most of their family practices*** everyone’s ***business. the Duggar parents should have known they were choosing this, too. with wisdom and prudence, they should have chosen differently.
I watch sometimes, I actually can’t watch now because of the preemie. It just reminds me too much of last year.

But, the other day I realized something.

They don’t watch TV.

They might not be aware that they are considered controversial at all. I actually think they might be oblivious to the attention. I know that seems far fetched…but they might not be seeing the finished program. They might be seeing it as a way to evangelize. They seem blisssfully unaware of any criticism. I don’t mean here at this forum, but on secular forums, people are very, very mean about them.

I sort of want to tell Mrs. Duggar, “Honey don’t televise the baby in the NICU. She will be going through a great deal, and you are opening yourself up to criticsm from very mean people. Protect your child”

I homestly think they are innocently unaware of the media attention.
 
I just wanted to toss in to the discussion another thought about their motives for the TV show…

I wouldn’t be surprised if they felt that the show was sort of “sent to them” from God…after all, they believe in relying on the Lord. So, they have all these kids they have to support, and they believe that the Lord will help them to do it. Then, someone comes to them and days, “Hey, we will pay you if you let us film your family,” and they think it’s a good opportunity to evangelize, and to provide for their kids!

I don’t think they give a hoot about all the hateful things people say about them. They probably figure that Christians have been the object of scorn since the get-go, and that it is their cross to bear, and not be discouraged by it.

My best friend is from a Catholic family of 11 children. When asked why so many children, her mom’s answer: “I loved being pregnant, I had easy pregnancies & deliveries, I love babies & children, I always wanted a large family. I was grateful that God gave me so many children.” Perhaps Michelle feels the same way.

Mormons also place value on having many children (maybe not like QF people) but still, they feel it’s important to build up the family, for religious reasons. They also believe in dressing modestly, and in traditional gender roles.

Hasidic Jews feel it’s important to have a lot of children. To dress modestly, and in traditional gender roles.

ANd many posters in these forums believe in traditional family values, homeschooling, modesty, chastity, no ABC, etc…

So why do the Duggars get so much grief?

ETA: One other thing that’s funny – in another thread here, people are discussing whether SAHM’s “need” a college education. Some think it’s a waste of money.

I think the Duggars just believe that you don’t “need” a college education to provide for a family – for boys OR girls. They buy businesses, real estate, etc. The give their kids skills, like carpentry, etc. Maybe they just don’t believe that everyone needs a BA. I’ll bet if one of their kids wanted to be a doctor or something, they would be OK with college, but otherwise, I think the kids are expected to work, stay out of debt, and be able to support a family.
 
I homestly think they are innocently unaware of the media attention.
there’s nothing in their show, book, interviews (both filmed and in print) , website or broadcasted daughter’s engagement/ weddding etc that would support ‘innocently unaware.’ absolutely nothing.
 
there’s nothing in their show, book, interviews (both filmed and in print) , website or broadcasted daughter’s engagement/ weddding etc that would support ‘innocently unaware.’ absolutely nothing.
Guess 'm the unaware one.😊

Didn’t know they had all those media outlets. I had seen an episode that they needed to borrow a tv to see the parents on a program.
 
Not to mention the fact that that kind of comment is extremely hurtful to women who would love more than anything to be able to nurse their child, but are not able to. 😦 Nursing does not a good mother make. And this judgmental attitude is exactly why pro-breastfeeding advocates get a bad reputation.
I nursed my oldest until 2.5 years old and am still nursing my youngest at 22 months. Would I ever pass judgment on how long another mother nurses their baby? I sure hope not. Just like I don’t appreciate other people telling me that extended breastfeeding is wrong or gross or weird. And there are plenty of people out there that feel that way.
👍👍👍
 
Monica -

totally with you. They and their prairie chic completely creep me out. And they are subjects for criticism precisely because they have made their family the subject of a reality show.
 
I just read that Josie Brooklyn Duggar was born (prematurely) on December 10… Josie is child #19 to the Duggar Family… That’s making her about 2 months younger than her niece Mackynzie Renee Duggar who was born on October 8 (full term).

I just wonder what it will be like when all the kids are grown, married and having children of their own. Being raised in a very large family they are likely to want the same for their children… If they only have 5 each, the Duggars would be having 95 grandchildren… Try to imagine that family reunion…
 
I just read that Josie Brooklyn Duggar was born (prematurely) on December 10… Josie is child #19 to the Duggar Family… That’s making her about 2 months younger than her niece Mackynzie Renee Duggar who was born on October 8 (full term).

I just wonder what it will be like when all the kids are grown, married and having children of their own. Being raised in a very large family they are likely to want the same for their children… If they only have 5 each, the Duggars would be having 95 grandchildren… Try to imagine that family reunion…
Lol, I can imagine it easily because I attend one every summer. 😃

My great-grandparents had 13 kids and most of their kids had large families as well. It’s pretty cool.
 
Just because there are a lot of something, doesn’t mean they cannot be “enjoyed” or “relished” appropriately.

Like, God made billions of people, and he wasn’t like, Okay, NEXT! He loves us all individually.

Or, like if Mother Teresa continued to take in homeless children, one after another, that didn’t mean there were so many that she had to stop taking them in because they weren’t loved enough.

When we know that we ourselves could not love that many children, we like to assume that others are just like us; maybe the Duggard family can provide love that we cannot.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top