M
Madaglan
Guest
Originally Posted by tgdesq:
Ok, that’s your experience. I’ve met with several Eastern Catholics who embrace Latin approaches and formulations of the Christian faith, but I’ve also met numerous Eastern Catholics who challenge the Latin approaches and formulations and are determined to effect the removal of these so-called “Latinizations” from the Eastern Catholic Churches.I don’t really have an answer for what you are calling a common attitude amongst ECs. I am assured over and over again by the Orthodox here that this is their view, but have only had one or two ECs express any problem with the filioque. Even then it’s gone along the lines that it isn’t part of their tradition, not that they believe it’s heretical. That’s all I can tell you.
For about two years and until several months ago, I’ve attended a Ruthenian parish and have had many opportunities (due to my location and studies) to interact with Eastern Catholics. I acknowledge that there are many Eastern Catholics who do not have problems with the filioque. The parish I went to included the filioque in the Creed and very few people seemed to care. The elderly parishioners had been brought up with the Latinizations. It was natural to them. The filioque will hopefully be removed soon, per the recent liturgical directives of the Ruthenian ordinary.
I know several Eastern Catholics who adamantly defend their particular Byzantine understanding while affirming the Pope as infallible and the center of unity in the Church. The Vatican has acknowledged that the Byzantines and other Eastern Catholic Christians do not simply have different rites but also distinct theological traditions of their own. The Vatican charges them with the task of preserving their venerable rights and spiritual traditions. Orientalium Ecclesiarum especially drove this point, and I know John Paul II, in his lifetime and in his encyclicals, likewise affirmed this.