V
VanitasVanitatum
Guest
I missed the reasoning for that one.
“Innate” is the relevant concept, not nature. (though they are related) Natural law is written on our hearts, ie exists as a part of us. That is analogous to our physical body in some senses, and not in others.And your usage of “nature” is not is usually meant. It has nothing to do with hot stoves, rather an alleged “moral nature”. They are all “naturally” envious, vengeful and brutish. That is what needs to be “chiseled down”.
If I only have to be cordial and I don’t have to honour, then we are down to 9.I missed the reasoning for that one.
This is the point when I will thank you for your contribution. Our heart only pumps blood, and has nothing to do with anything else.Natural law is written on our hearts,
I think that we may to agree to disagree that it implies honouring. I’m using it in the sense of being formally polite.Being cordial is a sign of respect and honor.
You can clarify what you meant by it, by all means. In which case I disagree with what you said.I’m using it to mean in a warm and friendly. Since I suggested it, I can clarify, right?
Buy some pineapples, mangoes, kiwi and papaya to share.without coming to some agreement about the “ethical system” we shall use… there can be no fruitful discussion. We are doomed to talk past each other. Any suggestions?
I think you are taking the commandments out of context. Many parents had to do a lot of sacrifices to provide for their children upbringing, education and core values. Without them, many people would never have achieved much of what they have today.So if your parents were abusive you still will have to honour them?
Is there an asterix alongside the commandment I missed.Wozza:![]()
I think you are taking the commandments out of context. Many parents had to do a lot of sacrifices to provide for their children upbringing, education and core values. Without them, many people would never have achieved much of what they have today.So if your parents were abusive you still will have to honour them?
It would be a grave injustice to then abandon them during their senior years, when they need us the most.
If you are looking for an Asterix, it seems to suggest you are looking for ways to disregard the law.Is there an asterix alongside the commandment I missed.
I’m not looking for an asterix. Just pointing out that as it stands, people with abusive parents still have to honour them. John has qualified the commandment to highlight the fact that we should IF they have been good parents.Wozza:![]()
If you are looking for an Asterix, it seems to suggest you are looking for ways to disregard the law.Is there an asterix alongside the commandment I missed.
All the law of God hangs and depends on the greatest commandments to love God and neighbour. The parents should love their children as they love themselves, the children should love their parents as they love themselves.
If you search for a greatest good meaning of these commandments, then there should be peace in families and communities and peace on Earth.
Agreed that is why as I had previously stated on another post I rely on Catholic Church teachings, magisterium and doctrine to better understand it’s implications and meaning.All the commandments need to be interpreted.
Then we don’t have commandments. We have guidlines which ‘need to be interpreted’. Needless to say, one person’s interpretation will rarely align with another’s.Wozza:![]()
Agreed that is why as I had previously stated on another post I rely on Catholic Church teachings, magisterium and doctrine to better understand it’s implications and meaning.All the commandments need to be interpreted.
I found the below articles, which seems to provide some guidance to your concerns:
https://catholicexchange.com/honor-father-mother-limit
We have commandments, however the only one authorized to fully interpret them is the Catholic Church. Catholics are required to fully embrace the Catholic Church teachings, dogmas, doctrines and magisterium.Then we don’t have commandments. We have guidlines which ‘need to be interpreted’. Needless to say, one person’s interpretation will rarely align with another’s.
So why did you link to an article with some suggestions on how we approach the problem written by a mental health professional?Wozza:![]()
We have commandments, however the only one authorized to fully interpret them is the Catholic Church. Catholics are required to fully embrace the Catholic Church teachings, dogmas, doctrines and magisterium.Then we don’t have commandments. We have guidlines which ‘need to be interpreted’. Needless to say, one person’s interpretation will rarely align with another’s.