The "Hail, Holy Queen" prayer. Need thoughts please

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fox
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
“And the angel being come in, said unto her: Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women.”

Luke 1:28

If the Lord is with Mary, then by praying to Mary, we pray to the Lord.
 
Well no, in my prayerbook it’s ‘Hail Holy queen, Mother of Mercy, hail our life, our sweetness and our hope.’ The title is another way of addressing Mary, and is not referring to her as ‘Mother of’’ our life etc. The words are just not there. Are you using a different version?
There are, in fact, several different English translations. I have heard the one with the second hail in it, but that is not the most commonly used version, probably because there is no second salve in the latin. It is important to remember that the original prayer Salve Regina is in Latin; all else are translations.

Salve, Regina, mater misericordiae;
vita dulcedo et spes nostra, salve.
Ad te clamamus, exsules filii Evæ.
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
in hac lacrimarum valle.
Eia ergo, advocata nostra,
illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte.
Et lesum benedictum fructum ventris tui,
nobis post hoc exsilium ostende.
O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria
 
I’m sorry, what is a Dominican Rosary? The Rosary is not a Latin devotion, but a prayer of the entire Church.
The form that Latin rite Catholics use was popularized by St. Dominic, who, tradition has it, received it from Our Lady. Either way, he did popularize it and for that reason it is sometimes called by his name.
 
Is the 20 decade Rosary also called the Dominican Rosary? I’ve only seen the word “Dominican” associated with the traditional 15 decade Rosary.
 
There are, in fact, several different English translations. I have heard the one with the second hail in it, but that is not the most commonly used version, probably because there is no second salve in the latin. It is important to remember that the original prayer Salve Regina is in Latin; all else are translations.

Salve, Regina, mater misericordiae;
vita dulcedo et spes nostra, salve.
Ad te clamamus, exsules filii Evæ.
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
in hac lacrimarum valle.
Eia ergo, advocata nostra,
illos tuos misericordes oculos ad nos converte.
Et lesum benedictum fructum ventris tui,
nobis post hoc exsilium ostende.
O clemens, O pia, O dulcis Virgo Maria
Did you notice the salve at the end of the second line? That may be why some versions have hail twice.
 
Is there any other type of Rosary besides Dominican? Just wondering.
Yes, there are other versions. I used the word Dominican to avoid the barage of replies from those who would see fit to correct me and say “no, there are 20 Mysteries”. there are 20 when we include the Luminous Mysteries of JPII. But as Chatter explained, the word Dominican is used to denote the Rosary given to us by Our Lady.
I’m sorry, what is a Dominican Rosary? The Rosary is not a Latin devotion, but a prayer of the entire Church.
See Chatter’s reply. 😉
The form that Latin rite Catholics use was popularized by St. Dominic, who, tradition has it, received it from Our Lady. Either way, he did popularize it and for that reason it is sometimes called by his name.
Thank you 🙂
Is the 20 decade Rosary also called the Dominican Rosary? I’ve only seen the word “Dominican” associated with the traditional 15 decade Rosary.
I suppose it’s called just what you say, the 20 Decade Rosary. I never pray it in private, but have no problem meditating on the Luminous Mysteries with my fellow parishioners before noon Mass on Thursdays. However, I would never neglect to meditate upon the Joyful Mysteries on Thursday, and so when I pray the Rosary before Mass on Thursday with the flock, I make sure to do the Joyful Mysteries that evening. I’m just uneasy breaking with the traditional routine.
 
As a side note, Leo XIII recommended the Prayer to St Joseph be said at the end of the Rosary, especially during October.

Prayer to St. Joseph

To thee, O Blessed Joseph, we have recourse in our tribulations, and while imploring the aid of thy most holy Spouse, we confidently invoke thy patronage also. By that love which united thee to the Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God, and by the fatherly affection with which thou didst embrace the Infant Jesus, we humbly beseech thee graciously to regard the inheritance which Jesus Christ purchased with His Blood and to help us in our necessities, by thy powerful intercession.

Protect, O most provident Guardian of the Holy Family, the chosen children of Jesus Christ; ward off from us, O most loving Father, all taint of error and corruption; graciously assist us from Heaven, O most power protector, in our struggle with the powers of darkness; and as thou didst once rescue the Child Jesus from imminent peril to His life, so now defend the Holy Church of God from the snares of her enemies and from all adversity.

Shield each one of us with thy unceasing patronage that, imitating thy example and sported by thy aid, we may be enabled to live a good life, die a holy death, and secure everlasting happiness in Heaven. Amen.

For a good crash course on the traditional Rosary, visit this site …
fisheaters.com/rosary.html
 
Did you notice the salve at the end of the second line? That may be why some versions have hail twice.
Good point, and I would say that in this regard, the Latin is more clear.👍
 
look at the grammar of the full construction
Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope. the construction properly labels her for what she is, Mother of Mercy, that is, Mother of Jesus Christ, True God and True Man, who is Mercy, and who is our Life, our Sweetness, and our Hope. The reference IS to Jesus, not to her.
wow serious light bulb moment.

gramatically it does mean Mary is the mother of life, sweetness, and hope, it is talking about Christ in those descriptive words in an indirect way, not actually talking about Mary. Very interesting. Thank you!
 
So if the Latin has a salve at the end, wouldn’t it be “Hail our life, our sweetness and our hope”, thus, describing Mary?

The “Hail Holy Queen” hymn, based on the prayer goes,

“Our life, our sweetness here below, O Maria!
Our hope in sorrow and in woe, O Maria!”

This is an excerpt from the alternative in the Divine Office:

“Hail, our Queen and Mother blest!
Joy when all was sadness,
Life and hope you gave mankind,
Mother of our gladness!”
 
So if the Latin has a salve at the end, wouldn’t it be “Hail our life, our sweetness and our hope”, thus, describing Mary?
This is from Excerpts From
The Glories of Mary
St. Alphonsus de Liguori
Mary Is Our Life:
She Obtains Pardon for Our Sins
JUST as the soul gives life to the body, so grace gives life to the soul. And so our Lady, obtaining grace for sinners through her intercession, brings back life to their souls…
Mary Is Our Life:
She Obtains Perseverance for Us
Mary Is Our Life: She Makes Death Sweet
Mary Is the Hope of All
St. Thomas says that we can place our hope in a person in two ways — as a principal cause and as a mediate cause. Thus those who expect something from a king put their trust in him as their sovereign, and in his ministers or his favorite as intercessors.
When the favor is granted, it comes really from the king, though the favorite is the intermediary. Hence the petitioners have a right to call the minister or favorite through whom they received it their “hope.”
 
This is from Excerpts From
The Glories of Mary
St. Alphonsus de Liguori
I have never cared for St. Alphonsus de Liguori’s mariology. It gets too close to crossing the line, in my opinion. If I am a good example for someone who is away from the Lord and I pray for them and through my good example and prayers, the Holy Spirit draws them to Himself, then I have certainly been an instrument in leading that person to salvation, but I could not say that I was that person’s hope and salvation. Here is where I think the term Co-Redemptrix actually becomes helpful. It literally means the woman with the Redeemer. Mary cooperated in a singular way in our salvation, but of course, it does not come from her or through her in the most direct sense, obviously. She continues to helps on our journey by her example and prayers. She is Mother of mercy and life and sweetness and hope, but she is not the author and giver of these things.
 
I have never cared for St. Alphonsus de Liguori’s mariology. It gets too close to crossing the line, in my opinion. If I am a good example for someone who is away from the Lord and I pray for them and through my good example and prayers, the Holy Spirit draws them to Himself, then I have certainly been an instrument in leading that person to salvation, but I could not say that I was that person’s hope and salvation. Here is where I think the term Co-Redemptrix actually becomes helpful. It literally means the woman with the Redeemer. Mary cooperated in a singular way in our salvation, but of course, it does not come from her or through her in the most direct sense, obviously. She continues to helps on our journey by her example and prayers. She is Mother of mercy and life and sweetness and hope, but she is not the author and giver of these things.
Sorry, your opinion does not matter. He is a Doctor of the Church. Pe@ce and Gr@ce.
 
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the wording of the prayer. I can describe my parents as my life, my sweetness and my hope. Since Mary is the mother of all mankind, then she can truly be all those things.

Also, see Pope Benedict XVI’s “Spe Salvi”:

The true stars of our life are the people who have lived good lives. They are lights of hope. Certainly, Jesus Christ is the true light, the sun that has risen above all the shadows of history. But to reach him we also need lights close by—people who shine with his light and so guide us along our way. Who more than Mary could be a star of hope for us? With her “yes” she opened the door of our world to God himself; she became the living Ark of the Covenant, in whom God took flesh, became one of us, and pitched his tent among us (cf. Jn 1:14).
 
But more credible than you. Agreed? Whats the point of sainthood btw? Why does the Church bother to declare saints, and doctors?
Perhaps i’m splitting hairs in my treatment of St. Alphonsus’s teachings on Mary? I don’t know, it just seems a little overboard to me. Maybe it’s just hyperbole and not to be taken as literally as it reads. But I am not questioning his sanctity or intelligence, just some aspects of his mariology.
 
Perhaps i’m splitting hairs in my treatment of St. Alphonsus’s teachings on Mary? I don’t know, it just seems a little overboard to me. Maybe it’s just hyperbole and not to be taken as literally as it reads. But I am not questioning his sanctity or intelligence, just some aspects of his mariology.
Well, I am glad we both agree he is a saint and the point you bring up about his language is a good one…we are definetly, in america at least, out of touch with this style of writing, which I personally like more than modern english.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top