The thing that stinks most about dating

  • Thread starter Thread starter sw85
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if you feel that’s necessary, so be it. But I feel sorry for you and your wife - you are missing out on a lot of great friendships by limiting yourselves in such a manner.
Birds of a feather flock together. I read some where that the Mormans had a 3% divorse rate per Ward, but that the secular world had a way of slanting the figures to make it look like most people are divorced. The article also said that Mormans never mention divorse, so we can learn from them.
 
Birds of a feather flock together. I read some where that the Mormans had a 3% divorse rate per Ward, but that the secular world had a way of slanting the figures to make it look like most people are divorced. The article also said that Mormans never mention divorse, so we can learn from them.
Interesting that you choose define your “feathers” as marital status. There is so, SO much more to a person than whether they are married. It would be as silly as me defining my “feathers” as white, or as female, or as a CPA. Better to focus on “feathers” of more depth, such as personality, values, hobbies.

My personal experience has been that as a divorced person, I had quite a few married couples as friends. And no, it wasn’t because I was sleeping with the husbands.
 
I am a big fan of taking things slow. And I’m very wary of men who fall in love in a matter of weeks or even just a few months. It seems disingenuous to me to say that you love someone before you’ve seen them at their worst, gone through some of life’s problems together, really worked on building trust, etc. In short, you can’t love someone until you really know them.

Yeah, the warm fuzzies give us rose colored glasses. But, if you really can’t set that aside to work on getting to know someone for who they really are, then dating will be extremely problematic for you.
This is so true. 👍

OP, you say that a couple is “either the kind of couple that can make things work once the initial high wears off or you aren’t, and if you aren’t, there’s not a lot you can do”. This type of thing (the ability to truly love and commit to someone even though you don’t always feel ‘in love’) isn’t just some personality trait that you either have or don’t. Love is a choice. You either have two people who choose it, or you don’t, but it’s not dependent on the “kind of couple” you are.

Also, that “puppy love” stuff doesn’t just go away all the time. I think that for a lot of married people, it comes back in smaller doses at various times throughout your marriage. It’s even better than the beginning of a relationship, because you know your spouse actually loves you and doesn’t just love how he feels about you, and vice versa. You have a shared history and choose each other despite all your shortcomings, and that love is better than any initial butterflies you get before you really know a person.
 
Also, that “puppy love” stuff doesn’t just go away all the time. I think that for a lot of married people, it comes back in smaller doses at various times throughout your marriage. It’s even better than the beginning of a relationship, because you know your spouse actually loves you and doesn’t just love how he feels about you, and vice versa. You have a shared history and choose each other despite all your shortcomings, and that love is better than any initial butterflies you get before you really know a person.
I’m here to witness that “puppy love” is VERY much alive in my 14+ years of married life. There was no 6-month drop off or waning of being in love with each other. We were engaged before that, after 5 months of dating. I’m sorry OP that you seem to be experiencing so much trouble in the dating world, but all it takes is ONE person for you to find that the experience is different from the rest. It doesn’t matter what every other person did at 6 months or more.
 
The problem here is that you are confusing love with that warm fuzzy feeling you get at the beginning of a relationship. You’re saying that after the chemicals settle you’ll know if the love was real. But if you don’t know than it isn’t love.

I am a big fan of taking things slow. And I’m very wary of men who fall in love in a matter of weeks or even just a few months. It seems disingenuous to me to say that you love someone before you’ve seen them at their worst, gone through some of life’s problems together, really worked on building trust, etc. In short, you can’t love someone until you really know them.

Yeah, the warm fuzzies give us rose colored glasses. But, if you really can’t set that aside to work on getting to know someone for who they really are, then dating will be extremely problematic for you.
This so far is the best advice.
 
Studies show that the chemical rush from puppy love wears off around 6 months in, plus or minus maybe three months. Unsurprisingly, this is around the time most relationships end. You’re either the kind of couple that can make things work once the initial high wears off or you aren’t, and if you aren’t, there’s not a lot you can do.

The thing that stinks is, there is no way to know if you’re the kind of couple that can make it work until you do (or don’t). Even if there were, the chemical rush would ensure you’d be in no position to evaluate it objectively.

So a man must walk into every serious relationship knowing that its future is utterly indeterminate: that no matter how wonderful the girl is, no matter how much she loves him or he loves her, it remains a very real possibility that all that love will evaporate before she gets her next haircut. All his plans and dreams and desires regarding her are contingent on something that is beyond his control and, very often, beyond his ability even to recognize or understand. (All this applies just as much to the woman).

The other thing that stinks is how easy it is for a man to get discouraged, because this will continue to happen to him – until the one time that it doesn’t.
I don’t see this as being something that “stinks” about dating. I see this as being a test of real love and commitment before making the life long promise to be one with another person.

All I can say is to go into a relationship very carefully and very realistically. Don’t let the initial feelings of “excitement” for the other person get confused with love.

My husband and I dated for 4 years before we got married. Although we were crazy about each other and hit it off very well very quickly, we still kept a cool head and it wasn’t until we were together for 7 months that my husband first told me he loved me and could see himself marrying me.
 
If it wasn’t clear from the context, folks, I’m not the one who bails when the puppy love wears off.
 
If it wasn’t clear from the context, folks, I’m not the one who bails when the puppy love wears off.
How do you know that your girlfriend broke up with you solely due to the puppy love wearing off?
 
If it wasn’t clear from the context, folks, I’m not the one who bails when the puppy love wears off.
Well, then keep going until you find one who doesn’t bail. The one who sticks around is the keeper, but you can’t expect to find that one first try.
 
Well, then keep going until you find one who doesn’t bail. The one who sticks around is the keeper, but you can’t expect to find that one first try.
👍

That’s what it’s about.

Also remember to take what you can from that relationship in terms of learning experiences. Each relationship will teach you something new about yourself and about the type of person that is right for you.
 
If it wasn’t clear from the context, folks, I’m not the one who bails when the puppy love wears off.
Actually it was clear.

And like the previous posters said, all it takes is the ONE not to bail. You should thank the ones that do bail, for making it so obvious they weren’t the ONE that God wants you to be with for the rest of your life.
 
If it wasn’t clear from the context, folks, I’m not the one who bails when the puppy love wears off.
In that case, it is good that you are no longer in a relationship with someone who relies on a feeling to keep her in the relationship. This is not a woman you’d want to be married to.

It is true that you can’t know whether another person is going to stick around or not. This is the nature of dating, but it doesn’t mean there are no clues about a person’s personality or that there is absolutely nothing you can do. People who are dating can and should be a bit guarded and avoid being serious initially. The “puppy love” you describe can only exist if you let it, and shouldn’t be confused with actual love. When you date a bit more slowly, you have a better idea of whether you’re with the kind of person who just likes feeling wanted or a person who is serious about discerning marriage.
 
Studies show that the chemical rush from puppy love wears off around 6 months in, plus or minus maybe three months. Unsurprisingly, this is around the time most relationships end. You’re either the kind of couple that can make things work once the initial high wears off or you aren’t, and if you aren’t, there’s not a lot you can do.

The thing that stinks is, there is no way to know if you’re the kind of couple that can make it work until you do (or don’t). Even if there were, the chemical rush would ensure you’d be in no position to evaluate it objectively.

So a man must walk into every serious relationship knowing that its future is utterly indeterminate: that no matter how wonderful the girl is, no matter how much she loves him or he loves her, it remains a very real possibility that all that love will evaporate before she gets her next haircut. All his plans and dreams and desires regarding her are contingent on something that is beyond his control and, very often, beyond his ability even to recognize or understand. (All this applies just as much to the woman).

The other thing that stinks is how easy it is for a man to get discouraged, because this will continue to happen to him – until the one time that it doesn’t.
I can assure you that even a simple crush tends to last longer than 6 months in my brain (male). (I’ve also heard versions of the same claims where 2 years were given, with also the possibility of falling in love anew with the same person as before for another such period.)

While I can never guarantee that a woman’s feelings or attraction for me will not indeed evaporate before she gets her next haircut (for the record, a change of haircut is an external symbol of a life change in a young woman, e.g. forgetting an ex boyfriend ;)), I do not worry that in a couple of months I will suddenly not feel all that about her. I can make a decision that, for example, I can’t live with her views, I can’t accept her behaviour, I can’t trust her or something yet else (including something that puts me off), but it’s not just the passage of time.

It may be different if people look only for attraction and are limiting themselves solely to responding to stimuli. But when value judgements and conscious preferences come into play, this isn’t really like that any more.

On the other hand, I can indeed say that a woman’s attraction to me generally has the tendency to pass quickly even if she’s the one initiating and is being easy to read. This is rather inexplicable to me. But I think they probably have a concrete reason they’d probably prefer not to tell, or they just intuitively think this is not the guy they want to spend the rest of their life with. So if someone were more interested, things wouldn’t necessarily go down that way.
 
Hello SW85, I have spent a life time being married to 2 women, and i was widowed (not divorced) from the first one… What I have learned through past mistakes is to keep my woman away from single or divorced women. !
:confused: How did your friends treat you when you were not married?

It seems that you’re suggesting that all unmarried people are not respectable.
 
I question how many people today are really prepared for marriage, and understand that love is a commitment of the will.

I was in a relationship for about a year and a half. It seemed to start well - friendship that turned into dating after a few months. A solid Catholic guy who worked for the Church. We were both in our early thirties, and I assumed that we were both serious about seeking marriage (to someone, if not each other). He told me he loved me, and he would bring up marriage in a hypothetical sense. But his actions were not in sync his talk.

After the relationship ended, I found out that he had/has no intention to marry. He just wanted to try the experience of a relationship. It’s been seven months, but I am still in disbelief that a person could do that to someone else. It is the fact that there was never a reason for us to start dating, and thus, for me to feel this pain now. He sees nothing wrong with it; the closest thing to an apology I heard was that he did me a “disservice”. He is very close to a married priest (converted after marriage), and this priest strongly advocates for the single life, quoting St Paul about how marriage is an impediment to growing closer to God.

I know there are many fickle and shallow women, but I think most women have a simple desire to love and be loved by one man. I have not dated around, and don’t care to. I wish the first guy I ever dated would have been the last I ever needed to. I see a recurring pattern in Catholic men over 30. They like their bachelor lifestyle, they are free of responsibility, and St Paul backs them up.

I know this is not all men. But I do think it is a huge problem in the Catholic Church now. There is so much talk about the assault on marriage from the outside, with issues like gay marriage, divorce, easy annulment, etc. But this seems like the last straw to me: this growing number of devout Catholic men who do not see the good of marriage.
 
I question how many people today are really prepared for marriage, and understand that love is a commitment of the will.

I was in a relationship for about a year and a half. It seemed to start well - friendship that turned into dating after a few months. A solid Catholic guy who worked for the Church. We were both in our early thirties, and I assumed that we were both serious about seeking marriage (to someone, if not each other). He told me he loved me, and he would bring up marriage in a hypothetical sense. But his actions were not in sync his talk.

After the relationship ended, I found out that he had/has no intention to marry. He just wanted to try the experience of a relationship. It’s been seven months, but I am still in disbelief that a person could do that to someone else. It is the fact that there was never a reason for us to start dating, and thus, for me to feel this pain now. He sees nothing wrong with it; the closest thing to an apology I heard was that he did me a “disservice”. He is very close to a married priest (converted after marriage), and this priest strongly advocates for the single life, quoting St Paul about how marriage is an impediment to growing closer to God.

I know there are many fickle and shallow women, but I think most women have a simple desire to love and be loved by one man. I have not dated around, and don’t care to. I wish the first guy I ever dated would have been the last I ever needed to. I see a recurring pattern in Catholic men over 30. They like their bachelor lifestyle, they are free of responsibility, and St Paul backs them up.

I know this is not all men. But I do think it is a huge problem in the Catholic Church now. There is so much talk about the assault on marriage from the outside, with issues like gay marriage, divorce, easy annulment, etc. But this seems like the last straw to me: this growing number of devout Catholic men who do not see the good of marriage.
Isnt the bigger issue that there are plenty of good Catholic men that are single that desire marriage but they are the “safe” choice when most women these days want their prince charming type that normally turns to be like the man you dated. You are not alone in then painting that Catholic men in general are like that guy.

If Catholic women went with the safe choice and married the many normal, average Catholic men, it would mean far less single women and it would also force a change in the guys like your ex boyfriend. Why should guys like him change when they have an endless supply of women that refuse to settle for less than perfect guys?

My brother and I are both single and have been so far most of our adult lives. We are both mid twenties and have jobs, are tall. He has the muscle and I am the book smart office worker. We are overall average guys. Yet us and many of our friends are single.

I know of many cases where women go for guys that have no job and take care of the guy financially. They guy wont even care for the kids. He just has free sex pretty much and the woman allows it because she needs the relationship.

I have also seen many of my friends get married. The women they married realized long ago that the perfect man wasnt a reality and went out to find a guy that would be a good and loving father.

It is not settling for less to go with a guy that is more average and maybe boring compared to the expectations I see many women desire. In the end, if a woman wants to be loved it may not come from a place thats not sexy or popular to society.

As an example, I see many average to below average looking women on Catholic dating sites and they all want the best looking, highest paying job, perfect virtues man. They also turn down many average to below average guys and remain on those sites for years without finding anyone while posting in the website forums about how few good guys there are. Well, at some point you need to be realistic and realize that you may not be good enough for the high standards you desire. It may take some compromising to find the best situation with what is available and in your league.

I am single because I havent done enough to find a wife and because I have turned down dozens of women for being too fat, too ugly, too nagging, etc, etc, and in the end I find myself wishing I had taken the safe choice instead of holding out for a more perfect fit because it is much better to be in a relationship with a loving person than it is to be single and wishing for someone that may never come. I think too many singles think that there is always something better out there when in fact that something better may either not exist or ever come. In most cases, I think singles have been given the chance by God to have someone and turn it down for superficial reasons. But where does that leave us? Single and alone.
 
Isnt the bigger issue that there are plenty of good Catholic men that are single that desire marriage but they are the “safe” choice when most women these days want their prince charming type that normally turns to be like the man you dated. You are not alone in then painting that Catholic men in general are like that guy.

If Catholic women went with the safe choice and married the many normal, average Catholic men, it would mean far less single women and it would also force a change in the guys like your ex boyfriend. Why should guys like him change when they have an endless supply of women that refuse to settle for less than perfect guys?

My brother and I are both single and have been so far most of our adult lives. We are both mid twenties and have jobs, are tall. He has the muscle and I am the book smart office worker. We are overall average guys. Yet us and many of our friends are single.

I know of many cases where women go for guys that have no job and take care of the guy financially. They guy wont even care for the kids. He just has free sex pretty much and the woman allows it because she needs the relationship.

I have also seen many of my friends get married. The women they married realized long ago that the perfect man wasnt a reality and went out to find a guy that would be a good and loving father.

It is not settling for less to go with a guy that is more average and maybe boring compared to the expectations I see many women desire. In the end, if a woman wants to be loved it may not come from a place thats not sexy or popular to society.

As an example, I see many average to below average looking women on Catholic dating sites and they all want the best looking, highest paying job, perfect virtues man. They also turn down many average to below average guys and remain on those sites for years without finding anyone while posting in the website forums about how few good guys there are. Well, at some point you need to be realistic and realize that you may not be good enough for the high standards you desire. It may take some compromising to find the best situation with what is available and in your league.

I am single because I havent done enough to find a wife and because I have turned down dozens of women for being too fat, too ugly, too nagging, etc, etc, and in the end I find myself wishing I had taken the safe choice instead of holding out for a more perfect fit because it is much better to be in a relationship with a loving person than it is to be single and wishing for someone that may never come. I think too many singles think that there is always something better out there when in fact that something better may either not exist or ever come. In most cases, I think singles have been given the chance by God to have someone and turn it down for superficial reasons. But where does that leave us? Single and alone.
This is an execellent post and so true. Everyone is looking for that “PERFECT” match that they bypass all those that could be perfectly nice but do not meet certain criteria or are average looking.
 
While I can never guarantee that a woman’s feelings or attraction for me will not indeed evaporate before she gets her next haircut (for the record, a change of haircut is an external symbol of a life change in a young woman, e.g. forgetting an ex boyfriend ;)), I do not worry that in a couple of months I will suddenly not feel all that about her.
I hope that a new haircut isn’t too bad-after dating for about four months my girlfriend recently cut her hair! :eek:

But we just went on a very nice date Friday, so I think we’re fine at the moment 😛

Now if you want my opinion, the thing that sucks most about dating is finding a date! :bigyikes: 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top