The thing that stinks most about dating

  • Thread starter Thread starter sw85
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isnt the bigger issue that there are plenty of good Catholic men that are single that desire marriage but they are the “safe” choice when most women these days want their prince charming type that normally turns to be like the man you dated.
See, I’ve been told that this is an issue, but for me personally, I am attracted to good character, and I don’t want someone who’s super good-looking. (Good-looking people tend to be high maintenance and into their appearance, so I just avoid them.)

My issue was that any of the Catholic guys I met weren’t “good Catholic men.” They were otherwise good guys that had some very strange theological ideas.

Other than that, though, I never had any problem finding dates. You would be surprised how many people you suddenly enjoy dating (and who enjoy dating you) when you are attracted to people of good character, good intelligence, and average appearance. Even if you are a single parent.
 
Isnt the bigger issue that there are plenty of good Catholic men that are single that desire marriage but they are the “safe” choice when most women these days want their prince charming type that normally turns to be like the man you dated. You are not alone in then painting that Catholic men in general are like that guy.

If Catholic women went with the safe choice and married the many normal, average Catholic men, it would mean far less single women and it would also force a change in the guys like your ex boyfriend. Why should guys like him change when they have an endless supply of women that refuse to settle for less than perfect guys?

My brother and I are both single and have been so far most of our adult lives. We are both mid twenties and have jobs, are tall. He has the muscle and I am the book smart office worker. We are overall average guys. Yet us and many of our friends are single.

I know of many cases where women go for guys that have no job and take care of the guy financially. They guy wont even care for the kids. He just has free sex pretty much and the woman allows it because she needs the relationship.

I have also seen many of my friends get married. The women they married realized long ago that the perfect man wasnt a reality and went out to find a guy that would be a good and loving father.

It is not settling for less to go with a guy that is more average and maybe boring compared to the expectations I see many women desire. In the end, if a woman wants to be loved it may not come from a place thats not sexy or popular to society.

As an example, I see many average to below average looking women on Catholic dating sites and they all want the best looking, highest paying job, perfect virtues man. They also turn down many average to below average guys and remain on those sites for years without finding anyone while posting in the website forums about how few good guys there are. Well, at some point you need to be realistic and realize that you may not be good enough for the high standards you desire. It may take some compromising to find the best situation with what is available and in your league.

I am single because I havent done enough to find a wife and because I have turned down dozens of women for being too fat, too ugly, too nagging, etc, etc, and in the end I find myself wishing I had taken the safe choice instead of holding out for a more perfect fit because it is much better to be in a relationship with a loving person than it is to be single and wishing for someone that may never come. I think too many singles think that there is always something better out there when in fact that something better may either not exist or ever come. In most cases, I think singles have been given the chance by God to have someone and turn it down for superficial reasons. But where does that leave us? Single and alone.
It is funny you say this, because I always felt like the guy I was dating was slightly out of my league.

I know the type of women you are speaking of. I overheard a conversation at work where this woman was remarking on the picture of a guy that a girl she went to high school with was engaged to. She had never met this guy, but her first remark was that she thought her girlfriend could do better! I saw the picture and the guy looked just fine to me, nice and friendly. Plus, we have no idea about the dynamic of that relationship, or how happy they are together.

Honestly, I think most women just want men to have the confidence to make the first move, and to do it in person. Not by email or text. Look to your grandparents’ generation for an example of how men should treat women, because that is what women with depth want, and it will set you apart from other men. Just my advice to you. I hope you meet someone soon.
 
Honestly, I think most women just want men to have the confidence to make the first move.
This is true. Women won’t date guys who don’t ask them out (with very few exceptions). It has been my observation (in the circles I ran with when I was younger), that certain guys will take it slow, hang out as friends, and not say a word about wanting to go on an actual date. Meanwhile, everyone else in my circle is asking when we are going to start dating because “It’s obvious he likes you.” Obvious to whom? :confused: Certainly not me.

Certain other guys will ask for a phone number the day they met me, and then actually call the next day and ask me out. Guess who I ended up dating? Here’s a clue: It wasn’t the guy that waffled around.

I don’t know about the “in person” part. It doesn’t really matter to me as long as the date itself is in person. 😉
 
This is true. Women won’t date guys who don’t ask them out (with very few exceptions). It has been my observation (in the circles I ran with when I was younger), that certain guys will take it slow, hang out as friends, and not say a word about wanting to go on an actual date. Meanwhile, everyone else in my circle is asking when we are going to start dating because “It’s obvious he likes you.” Obvious to whom? :confused: Certainly not me.

Certain other guys will ask for a phone number the day they met me, and then actually call the next day and ask me out. Guess who I ended up dating? Here’s a clue: It wasn’t the guy that waffled around.

I don’t know about the “in person” part. It doesn’t really matter to me as long as the date itself is in person. 😉
All true, all so very, very true. Also taking things slow and developing a friendship with an intrest in possibly dating later on has a higher rate of success in my book than just some guy waffling around “waiting” for the right time to ask me. If a guy likes me and wants to ask me out then he NEEDS to ask me out. The worst I could say is no.
 
All true, all so very, very true. Also taking things slow and developing a friendship with an intrest in possibly dating later on has a higher rate of success in my book than just some guy waffling around “waiting” for the right time to ask me. If a guy likes me and wants to ask me out then he NEEDS to ask me out. The worst I could say is no.
You may have to explain that more, because it sounds a bit contradictory. Either the guy asks a girl out soon or he takes it slow and develops a friendship first (which is also seen as waffling).
 
You may have to explain that more, because it sounds a bit contradictory. Either the guy asks a girl out soon or he takes it slow and develops a friendship first (which is also seen as waffling).
Ok I’ll elaborate, I have dated guys who have asked me out the very day that they met me and I have also dated a couple of guys who started out as friends but then later on dated for a time, and then there are the guys who hung around my group with the sole purpose getting to know me to date but take so long to ask me out that I started dating someone else. Does that help? Also in my experience the relationships that lasted the longest were the ones where the guy just straight up asked me out than the ones who started out as friends (just felt weird dating my friend).
 
Ok I’ll elaborate, I have dated guys who have asked me out the very day that they met me and I have also dated a couple of guys who started out as friends but then later on dated for a time, and then there are the guys who hung around my group with the sole purpose getting to know me to date but take so long to ask me out that I started dating someone else. Does that help? Also in my experience the relationships that lasted the longest were the ones where the guy just straight up asked me out than the ones who started out as friends (just felt weird dating my friend).
Sort of. So basically if a guy is decisive about what he wants (whether that’s a date or a friendship, but then he wants a date later), rather than waffling, we like that. I think I understand.

That’s interesting what you say about dating a friend. I hear a lot about this “friend zone” thing, especially from a lot of my guy friends who are stuck in it with various girls they would like to date. Personally, I don’t have a natural friendzone; if I were single, I would be attracted to any or all of my guy friends (although hopefully not at the same time - that might get problematic). Once I got married, I actually had to force myself to develop a friend zone because most of our friends are guys and I care about fidelity. 😉
 
Sort of. So basically if a guy is decisive about what he wants (whether that’s a date or a friendship, but then he wants a date later), rather than waffling, we like that. I think I understand.

That’s interesting what you say about dating a friend. I hear a lot about this “friend zone” thing, especially from a lot of my guy friends who are stuck in it with various girls they would like to date. Personally, I don’t have a natural friendzone; if I were single, I would be attracted to any or all of my guy friends (although hopefully not at the same time - that might get problematic). Once I got married, I actually had to force myself to develop a friend zone because most of our friends are guys and I care about fidelity. 😉
That is exactly what I am saying.
 
Girls are complicated in my brain.
We have to be in order to find a suitable mate 😃 and I don’t think I’m that complicated. I know what I like and find attractive in a potenial mate and I know what I don’t like. How is that complicated?
 
We have to be in order to find a suitable mate 😃 and I don’t think I’m that complicated. I know what I like and find attractive in a potenial mate and I know what I don’t like. How is that complicated?
But every girl says that same exact thing 😃
 
I know there are many fickle and shallow women, but I think most women have a simple desire to love and be loved by one man. I have not dated around, and don’t care to. I wish the first guy I ever dated would have been the last I ever needed to. I see a recurring pattern in Catholic men over 30. They like their bachelor lifestyle, they are free of responsibility, and St Paul backs them up.
St. Paul also says marriage is ‘all honourable’, which he doesn’t say about dating around. There is also a difference between being single in order to be closer to God and being single in order not to have to deal with commitment and responsibility. So I’d hazard a guess that St. Paul might be more on your side than you’d think.
I know this is not all men. But I do think it is a huge problem in the Catholic Church now. There is so much talk about the assault on marriage from the outside, with issues like gay marriage, divorce, easy annulment, etc. But this seems like the last straw to me: this growing number of devout Catholic men who do not see the good of marriage.
Well. Perhaps that guy had not had previous opportunity to experience a relationship with a woman or otherwise the opportunity to learn to make his decisions faster or communicate them better. Or he might have lost interest in you despite a bona fide start. Or perhaps you wanted an engagement within a relatively short time span while he preferred a slower approach. (Which is not necessarily to say anything about your general approach or his; sometimes how fast we want to move to the next stage depends on the intensity of our interest in someone or some other factors, so this isn’t necessarily a constant for someone in all his or her relationship attempts.)

For the record, just because somebody’s vaguely ready for marriage doesn’t mean he or she has a particularly good idea of whom he or she would like to marry. And general issues with commitment or lack of readiness are a typical excuse of people who just can’t find it in themselves to tell the other person they are not sufficiently interested (any more)… as well as a common accusation by people who have been denied a relationship by someone else. I guess we all feel an urge to accuse the person who doesn’t ultimately want a relationship with us, after a period of dating, of not being ready, not having his or her priorities straight etc.

So I’d suggest just moving on, if I may. It might be a good idea to use the lesson to improve your filter and set the record straight on things important to you earlier in a relationship. But you still don’t want to drop the “marriage” bomb too early. It’s not like men fear it. Basically, anybody reacts with a measure of fear when this is mentioned a bit too insistently by a new dating or perhaps-dating-perhaps-not acquaintance.

Hah, I once had a could-have-been who was totally okay with hypothesising about being married to me (not in a bad way, in fact somewhat refreshingly candid and energetic about it, although surprising even to an eager stakeholder) in a long run, while totally balking out from anything resembling a defined relationship in the short run. That was the opposite or the reverse or whatever of the typical commitment phobia scenario.
We have to be in order to find a suitable mate 😃 and I don’t think I’m that complicated. I know what I like and find attractive in a potenial mate and I know what I don’t like. How is that complicated?
With all due respect, it does not help you find a suitable mate. And not directly because of anything to do with the mate. It interferes with the functioning of your picker and impairs it. You end up not really knowing what you want (admittedly, I have a bit of this problem too) and you also end up picking the wrong guys. Following a simpler, less complicated, less (over-)dramatic course could have saved you that. One of the reasons you need a man for is to save you from yourselves (i.e. from sinking into that complicated thinking any further). 😛 Call me sexist if you want — as long as you have cold beer, I don’t mind. :p;)
Sort of. So basically if a guy is decisive about what he wants (whether that’s a date or a friendship, but then he wants a date later), rather than waffling, we like that. I think I understand.
Not always. From the perspective of a man with plenty of battle scars, it’s hard to fit in in the woman’s ideal balance of decided vs waffling and what is preferred in the abstract (as in if you poll women on which quality is preferred) doesn’t have that much bearing on practical outcomes. I believe what ultimately matters most is basically your subjective attractiveness to a woman. If she’s sufficiently into you, then you can’t do anything wrong. If she just isn’t into you, then you just can’t do anything right. It just might be as simple as that.

Women, especially young women, should be careful not to mistake a man’s persistence in thoughtless impulses with his ability to decide and stick to his decisions. This is especially true when you send dismissive or mixed signals or outright tell him to go away and he sticks around, you could end up with a guy who can’t take a no or can’t see anything else than what he wants to see.
That’s interesting what you say about dating a friend. I hear a lot about this “friend zone” thing, especially from a lot of my guy friends who are stuck in it with various girls they would like to date.
There is nothing like the smell of friend zone in the evening.
 
I feel lucky; the girl I am dating is an agnostic. Her father and her mother live in different states. At the moment she lives with her father.

I am a Catholic and I’ve made this fact very clear. I told her flat out, chastity is a requirement. I said that, just in case, if we were to get married no contraception whatsoever. I told her all of my views, religious and otherwise (she agrees with some and disagrees with others).

And although she is an agnostic who doesn’t believe she has any moral obligation to anything I might consider essential she said that all of this was absolutely okay by her.

In fact, she once told me that one of the reasons she loved dating me was BECAUSE I wanted to be chaste-it means that I like her for her, not for completely physical reasons.

Now we have other issues, mostly involving her parents living in different states, and I don’t know how or if that’ll work itself out. But at the moment, I did learn something for this or other any other relationships I might get in-that whole “honesty” thing people talk up all the time actually works! 😃

Who knew? 🤷 😉
 
Who knew? 🤷 😉
You’d be surprised. I once knew a wiccan girl who had an attraction to Catholic men possibly along those lines. On the other hand, I once had an agnostic girlfriend who was okay with the stance on premarital sex and would not abort but contraception would have been a different issue and real trouble started when it came to discussing what we tell to any children re: abortion, premarital sex etc. She decided to split for that reason.

For the record, do make sure you really do stand on the same page when it comes to life issues. It’s not just the final outcomes, sometimes the reasoning is important. For example, I couldn’t live with someone who would agree human foetuses were children (and persons) but would still find it acceptable to kill them in the name of the mother’s liberties. Stuff like this can drive wedges between people. Heh, once met a wonderful girl. Never before had I met a person so kind, open and basically good perhaps, a bit at a loss with the adjectives here, a golden girl and all. Turned out she was a neonatologist who supported abortion rights.

Okay, I’m going away before I start sharing stories.
 
For the record, do make sure you really do stand on the same page when it comes to life issues. It’s not just the final outcomes, sometimes the reasoning is important. For example, I couldn’t live with someone who would agree human foetuses were children (and persons) but would still find it acceptable to kill them in the name of the mother’s liberties.
Abortion was a discussion. Her mother had an abortion because at the time her father and mother were doing drugs and were worried about potential problems with the baby (her father and mother are completely clean now). I told her I was completely against abortion and explained why and she didn’t disagree. I think she’s still thinking on it.
 
Abortion was a discussion. Her mother had an abortion because at the time her father and mother were doing drugs and were worried about potential problems with the baby (her father and mother are completely clean now). I told her I was completely against abortion and explained why and she didn’t disagree. I think she’s still thinking on it.
Just make sure you can love her when the novelty of her charm fades and her views do not.
 
Just make sure you can love her when the novelty of her charm fades and her views do not.
That’s an important point.

I love this quote, from a priest giving advice on finding the person to marry: He said to “Run toward the Lord — and when you get there, look out of the corner of your eye to see who has been running with you.” ncregister.com/daily-news/pray-date-marry/#ixzz20Mmb7VBD

Greg Popcak (Catholic, PhD in pastoral counseling) also discusses the treasure of spiritual intimacy in marriage in The Exceptional Seven Percent: The Nine Secrets of the World’s Happiest Couples.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top