G
godisgood77
Guest
Hilarious! There is no end for you enderDoes the question of a threat matter?
Hilarious! There is no end for you enderDoes the question of a threat matter?
It’s a simple question; why not answer? This goes to the problem with your understanding of what the church teaches. Your position is sustained by ambiguity, which is why it is so threatened by specific yes or no questions, even simple ones like this. The difficulty for you with this one is that either answer will expose a problem.Hilarious! There is no end for you ender
I see no difficulty with this Ender… I won’t answer your question in this thread because it is NOT pertinent to this discussion. if you would like to parse out all of the nuance of the Church’s teaching on the death penalty, then please go ahead and start a thread about it.It’s a simple question; why not answer? This goes to the problem with your understanding of what the church teaches. Your position is sustained by ambiguity, which is why it is so threatened by specific yes or no questions, even simple ones like this. The difficulty for you with this one is that either answer will expose a problem.
In the first comment you claim my question is not relevant to the discussion, and in the second one you make a statement that demonstrates its relevance. Your claim is that the use of capital punishment is “at odds with the Church’s teaching”, yet when I try to show this is based on a misunderstanding you dodge my question by claiming it is irrelevant.I won’t answer your question in this thread because it is NOT pertinent to this discussion. if you would like to parse out all of the nuance of the Church’s teaching on the death penalty, then please go ahead and start a thread about it…
The decision has been panned pretty universally by faith leaders and stands at odds with the Church’s teaching on the matter - no threat and easy alternatives (backed up by quote after quote from the catechism, St JPII, PBXVI, etc.)
I don’t know what legislative tactics would be involved given that no legislation can pass the Senate without the concurrence of 8-10 Democrats. This charge is baseless.This thread is about the Trump administration re-introducing the death penalty through aggressive legislative tactics
OK, then answer my question: does the church allow the execution of prisoners who present a real and serious threat to the public?if you would like to make an argument in favor reintroducing the death penalty in the US in 2020 and the good reasons for executing the inmates that are securely incarcerated rather than rehabilitating them, I’m all ears.
Agreed.Another bad day for life.
I’m not dodging any questions… Go ahead and make your argument in favor of reintroducing the death penalty for these long secured prisoners and we can explore the topic from there…OK, then answer my question: does the church allow the execution of prisoners who present a real and serious threat to the public?
How can we discuss the topic if we fundamentally disagree about what the church teaches? How can I make any argument if you think I start from a totally flawed understanding of church doctrine? If we do not clarify the question of church doctrine then debate is useless.I’m not dodging any questions… Go ahead and make your argument in favor of reintroducing the death penalty for these long secured prisoners and we can explore the topic from there…
How does a difference in our respective understanding of Church teaching prevent you from putting your case forward?How can we discuss the topic if we fundamentally disagree about what the church teaches?
The just war doctrine of the Catholic Church found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, lists four strict conditions for “legitimate defense by military force”:If all lives matter, then not a single war in the history of the world could ever have been justified. Does this mean you and all Catholics should be pacifists?
No. Catholic Just War Doctrine pre-supposes the belligerents be independent nation states. The Church opposes using violent means to make internal political changes.Does this mean that a second American Civil War over abortion would be justified?
How are we to resolve our differences if you refuse to explain what you believe?How does a difference in our respective understanding of Church teaching prevent you from putting your case forward?
I’m not sure I’d take his attorneys’ word for that.This is the man who was suffering from dementia.
His crime was heinous.
But he was in prison, and now suffering from a debilitating illness.
This is the question I asked godisgood77, and to which it’s clear I’m not going to get an answer. Since I consider this a serious question, and since yes or no are the only possible answers, I’d like to point out the problems no matter which answer is given.does the church allow the execution of prisoners who present a real and serious threat to the public?
Hi Ender, I plan on responding, have just been very busy. Will get to it.This is the question I asked godisgood77, and to which it’s clear I’m not going to get an answer.