Trump's new "Biden's America" campaign ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminded me of the famous LBJ “Daisy” ad and some of the Nixon-era “law and order” ads.

I found it especially interesting that the ad is running on CNN’s page before its news videos.

 
Last edited:
The Lincoln Project’s ads are much more powerful and have better production values.

This looks like it’s simply playing to Trump’s base. Waste of money.

And, you just posted a campaign ad in World News. What do you want to discuss about it?
 
Last edited:
Agreed…and we saw how well that worked out. Fact not Fear is a better campaign approach by both candidates.
 
And, you just posted a campaign ad in World News. What do you want to discuss about it?
I wanted to hear people’s thoughts. I am interested in political ads generally and how people react to them and have watched a few documentaries on them and on people who create them (like Lee Atwater). I myself don’t vote based on ads as I usually see through whatever technique they are using, so I see them primarily as a form of political theater or as a standard use of marketing techniques. This one isn’t particularly creative but is about what I expected.

If you object to my posting an ad for one side, feel free to post ads for other parties and include them in the general discussion of ads. This isn’t intended to be a pro-Trump thread or anti-Trump thread, I couldn’t care less about discussing that and I reckon everybody will make up their own mind who to vote for or already has.

Alternatively, I could move the thread to “Popular Media” but it seemed to fit better in News esp since the ad is running on news channels and using news footage.
 
Last edited:
Alternatively, I could move the thread to “Popular Media” but it seemed to fit better in News esp since the ad is running on news channels and using news footage.
Well, there are probably a whole lot of people here with political opinions, so it’s probably a good place.

I am not swayed by ads, either. But, I do like to look at them and see what the other side thinks a particular candidate’s weaknesses are.
 
But, I do like to look at them and see what the other side thinks a particular candidate’s weaknesses are.
Yes, it’s interesting that Joe Biden in his ads (playing constantly in my Youtube) is portraying himself as a very kindly, laid-back, Mayberry sort of granddad figure. Joe is capable of being forceful too but he’s very clearly going for a big calming contrast to Shouting Trump.

Although he does trip over his grammar in the first line of a less than one minute speech in one of the ads. I wondered why that was left in rather than asking him to do another take. Maybe they thought it was endearing or folksy?
 
Last edited:
Although he does trip over his grammar in the first line of a less than one minute speech in one of the ads. I wondered why that was left in rather than asking him to do another take. Maybe they thought it was endearing or folksy?
Yeah, maybe folksy and maybe just being real. It might be worse if it leaked that he reshot something several times because he kept screwing up.

I find the anti-Trump ads very devastating, but I’m not sure they’ll have any effect.

 
I see that particular ad as playing to the anti-Trump “base”. I have friends who have always hated Trump who followed and continue to follow every detail involving Putin-Russia like it is the next Watergate scandal. Trump’s base has long ago rejected/ tuned out all of that, and the connection is too remote/ complicated for most people “on the fence” to understand or care about.

Anti-Trumpers would do better to focus on the domestic economy or Trump’s response to COVID. The economy is likely to be a big deciding factor. Trump himself sounds ready to concede if the economy tanks on him. I suspect that since he is very money-driven, he might even take economic failure to heart as a personal failure.
 
I see that particular ad as playing to the anti-Trump “base”. I have friends who have always hated Trump who followed and continue to follow every detail involving Putin-Russia like it is the next Watergate scandal.
Yeah, I minored in political science, but it was a long time ago, so I’m not sure how much energy should be spent energizing your base versus converting the undecided.

I think the economy and Covid are indeed the linchpins of the election.

The economy is in shambles right now, but who is directly affected, and how will they vote? That’s the question. Same for the Covid crisis. I just read a New York time article detailing how White people are affected much less by the virus than others. It’ll be interesting to see how that plays out.

NYT Graphic

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Last edited:
I wanted to hear people’s thoughts.
Trump’s campaign messages, at least the ones that I’ve seen, have been a bit on the dark side. Not that 202 has shaped up to a great year. But I remember stoking of fears in the 2016 election. So I can’t say that this is inconsistent.
 
I don’t have TV or watch political ads and such. That was a surreal experience. I don’t know much about defunding police but it seems like a blatant misrepresentation. I don’t think anyone will care about this ad as it seems like a caricature, also it doesn’t talk about Biden’s ideas on this at all, only his supporters, or people it says are his supporters

I’m probably thinking way too much about this ad and the purpose though.
 
Last edited:
That won’t have any effect. The democrats beating the Russia drum again.

The democrats need to get off the Russia theme. It is like beating a dead horse
for them.
 
And it is also reminiscent of the Willie Horton ad used by the George H.W. Bush campaign in 1988 against Dukakis.
 
Last edited:
They have been using the President in the White House since he beat Hillary as
their whipping boy for 4 years. Russia is the bogeyman in everything and Putin.
 
Maybe they did do several takes and that was the best they had.
 
I don’t know about that. I think fear ads work pretty well with many people.
 
Of course, we know between the 2, which one is really having trouble being
competent. “Hello, I am Joe Biden’s husband!” says Joe Biden. " Hello, I’m Joe
Biden and I am running for the United States Senate! " Pointing to his sister, “This is my wife Jill!”
 
Oh, you want to rehash that argument again. Keep beating your head against the
wall on this one. I am going to bed!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top