Unique Case Contraceptive

  • Thread starter Thread starter rick-t
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I said, not the same case but the same principles apply. The womb is inhospitable to new life due to a medical treatment. Then using contraceptives does not fill the “contra bonus prolis” requisite to be intrinsically evil
 
As I said, not the same case but the same principles apply. The womb is inhospitable to new life due to a medical treatment. Then using contraceptives does not fill the “contra bonus prolis” requisite to be intrinsically evil
No. Inhospitable wombs requiring hysterectomies are inhospitable by definition. Wombs that are inhospitable due to hormonal drugs taken for the explicit purpose of contracepting are accidentally so and, indeed, due to direct action of the woman taking such drugs. If she is electing to take these drugs for the sake of contracepting (even if she’s doing so for a noble purpose like saving the life of a conceived child who will face certain death due to another drug she’s taking for a serious neurological condition) then the direct object of the action is (temporary) sterilization, something your own source rightfully reaffirms as “intrinsically illicit.”
 
In the case described by the OP the womb is not inhospitable due to the use os contraceptive hormones. It is inhospitable due to another medical treatment used to treat a medical condition. During the period the woman is under this treatment her womb is inhospitable to life so, applying CDF reasoning, as long as she is under that treatment she can use contraceptives
 
This would not be a case where contraceptives were used for a medical problem, because the contraceptives have to be used to treat the problem.
 
During the period the woman is under this treatment her womb is inhospitable to life so, applying CDF reasoning, as long as she is under that treatment she can use contraceptives
That is not at all apparent in the plain reading of the CDF communique and I’d actually argue to the contrary, that the CDF is speaking of an admittedly rare scenario in which case the medical impossibility of live parturition by an organ allows for the removal of that organ and doesn’t at all allow for an intrinsically evil action in the case of an accidental impediment/impossibility to parturition.
 
There is a medication like this; I do not know what it is used for. But the Catholic bioethics group would probably be able to answer this question since it is an existing issue. Someone here knows the name of the group–I cannot remember it right off-hand.
 
Last edited:
The argument used is not that the removal of the organ is allowed since the organ is defective. They argue that removing the organ is no sterilization since it is not capable of bringing a child to viability because if the child does not reach viability there is not procreation and no “contra bonum prolis” action could exist.
 
I do not like the CDF note. I think it is an absolute fail.

But, it is a responsum from the CDF signed by the Pope.
 
Rhetorical questions: Where is a “normal” sex life guaranteed in a marriage with a clearly abnormal situation? Is it immoral to refrain from marital relations, given that the mental/psychological state of one of the spouses is at risk? Is continence in this situation not part of the “For better or for worse, in sickness and in health” that one vowed during the marriage ceremony? Is continence not a part of the denial of the self, the taking up of one’s cross and following Christ?

As I said, rhetorical questions. Shock, outrage and excoriation to follow…
 
Abstinence is the only way to completely prevent pregnancy.

My spouse has suffered from a life threatening condition for years now, while we are past childbearing, the marital act itself could put too much strain in his heart. We have never been closer, this sacrifice out of love is a beautiful thing.

I cannot fathom a loving spouse would want to put his wife at risk.
 
That’s an interesting concept. I’d say if one purposely tried to get pregnant knowing that it would kill a baby then there would be some culpability but if one just unified with spouse and happened to get pregnant then no culpability but I’m not 100 percent on this.
I know that Jone writes about this, but, my copy of Jone is at home 😦
 
Hello Rick,
In Catholicism, we are not moral relativists. We believe there is an objective moral law. The situation and circumstances do not change the objective part of morality because they are objective. So asking if the situation would make contraception okay ends up sounding like “Ok is this still an evil in this situation?” Yes, it’s always an evil.

NOW, though, there is one thing to consider: moral culpability. The heart of the moral law is charity/love–love of God and love of neighbor. This situation involves a grave reason to avoid pregnancy, meaning avoiding it is a moral mandate. Disregarding the health and wellbeing of mother and baby for the sake of avoiding a particular sin is not what we’re called to do. Hence, the couple is between a rock and a hard place.

Now, abstinence is not immoral, though St. Paul warns us about it. This path may stretch us beyond the virtue we have cultivated in ourselves.

So in this case, sin seems to trap us. We can’t morally risk pregnancy. We can’t contracept. We may be too weak to completely abstain.

In such a case, I’d say the “lesser” sin is a vasectomy. But make no mistake, the lesser of two evils is not a Catholic moral teaching. Avoiding the graver evil does not justify the lesser evil. It remains objectively evil. But considering everything, I would say such an individual has mitigated moral culpability.

I’m sure others would disagree with me because of the amount of deliberate effort one has to put into getting a vasectomy. Sometimes the temptation is to prefer slipping into a greater evil. But avoiding the lesser evil does not justify knowingly slipping into the greater evil either. This fails to recognize the amount of immorality an the gravity of sins the individual is trapped in. There’s a lot of spiritual pride in preferring the route beyond your strength. There is no virtue there.

But ideally, this is something that you shouldn’t seek counsel on the internet or from a friend over. Such an individual should discuss their situation with their priest. In an ideal world, the priest would counsel the penitent to continue to recognize the sin but to humbly accept their limited culpability. The priest would counsel the penitent to encourage anyone else in similar situations to talk to their priest privately rather than causing confusion through a game of telephone where suddenly people start saying “contraception is justified in some cases, says this Catholic priest.” No, not justified. Culpability is mitigated. There’s a difference. In the meantime, people wouldn’t go on forums double checking their priest’s answer to then have a bunch of self-righteous strangers proclaim the priest is a heretic, leaving the person caught up in their own guilt and uncertainty, finding their situation and the lack of mercy they experience from others scandalizes their faith in the Catholic Church.

But we don’t live in a perfect world.

We should pray for our priests and such situations, and pray for the wisdom to know when God wants us to be an instrument of mercy, consoling people in their troubled times. This really isn’t all that different from a poor person stealing out of necessity.
 
In such a case, I’d say the “lesser” sin is a vasectomy. But make no mistake, the lesser of two evils is not a Catholic moral teaching. Avoiding the graver evil does not justify the lesser evil. It remains objectively evil. But considering everything, I would say such an individual has mitigated moral culpability.
We ought never advise our brother or sister to sin.
 
Contraception is immoral.

But in the situation described by the OP using a condom or hormonal contraptives is not the sin of contraception as per the CDF note since no child could reach the viability in case conception occurs.

There is no need to overburden people.
 
Last edited:
We ought never advise our brother or sister to sin.
sigh 😞 I say again. In an ideal world, you would express sympathy with the individual and advise they talk to their priest, or maybe even advise them to talk to a specific priest you trust. Such a saintly priest would basically council them away from the legalistic thinking that says that the Church doesn’t care for their life and health or the life and health of their children. The priest would identify why the couple feels like the Church’s teaching is saying that and council them on their moral misunderstanding about moral culpability and no one would cause others to second guess the priest’s council.

We don’t live in that world though. And the Church’s teaching does often come across as “we don’t care about you.”

You’re not advising someone to sin. You’re advising them to recognize they are slaves to sin and that the Church never asks us to choose the greater sin to avoid the lesser sin. The hard part is accepting you ARE a sinner.
 
Last edited:
Contraception is immoral.

But in the situation described by the OP using a condom or hormonal contraptives is not the sin of contraception as per the CDF note since no child could reach the viability in case conception occurs.

There is no need to overburden people.
Actually it is. The act of taking a pill or using a condom to prevent pregnancy is exactly what contraception is.

The easiest way to think about, I believe, is would a single woman do the same thing? So, when I had a medical problem and my GYN talked to me about “the pill,” would she have talked to a single woman about the same thing? If yes, then “the pill” is treating the disease or symptoms. If I only “need” this treatment because I am married and I have sexual relations with my husband, then it is for contraception.
 
“If I only “need” this treatment because I am married and I have sexual relations with my husband, then it is for contraception.”

Read the CDF responsum
 
Last edited:
Obviously. And removing the uterus to avoid pregnancies is not always sterilization
 
As someone that has had a hysterectomy, I know that.

But you are equating things that are not equal.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top