M
maryjk
Guest
Ah, so now you are changing what you wrote after someone responds?Read the CDF responsum
Tells me all I need to know.
Ah, so now you are changing what you wrote after someone responds?Read the CDF responsum
It’s not possible to get pregnant if you reserve sex to the week prior to the period. Phase three NFP is pretty safe, but its super strict and heard. And moreover, I would use every Crosscheck possible and ensure she’s regularly cycling even if that means abstaining from sex post partum completely until she is regularly cycling.NFP is not infallible.
If you want to be ultra safe I would say 10 days.So generally there should be nearly two weeks that are safe
When people are suffering from severe illness, it is amazing how much easier it is to abstain.I’d say the toughest part about this is that it’s so restrictive on sex, the abstinence will get super hard.
Strange things can happen. Anyone using NFP has to be open to the possibility, however remote and far-fetched it might be, that a pregnancy could occur. If there is absolutely no way that a couple can risk even the remotest chance of a pregnancy, then abstinence is the only way to avoid this. Even immoral means of birth regulation are not 100% foolproof, and there are even rare cases of pregnancy when one partner has been surgically sterilized (vasectomy or tubal ligation). A woman cannot become pregnant if both of her ovaries have been removed, but I have never heard of a woman having this done solely to avoid pregnancy. That would be pretty drastic, and I’m not sure any doctor would agree to this.NFP is not infallible.
The object of the act of taking this medicine is to enable normal functioning. That it might cause the death of a fetus is not the chosen object, but a second effect, so I assume double effect principles apply here?The medication which allows her to function would also be deadly to a child in her womb.
Questions:
- Normal marital relations resulting in conception would be knowingly taking a life?
This is the “It would be better if I had never been born” scenario. From Job to George Bailey, the answer is the same. “The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.” Any child created by God deserves however much life God has chosen to give him or her. Even if he dies without being noticed, God knows and loves whoever was created. Grief includes thanksgiving for the life given by God, no matter how little it was, as well as sorrow that it was so little.Would a birth control method be allowed in this case to allow normal marital relations? To save the couple from the grief of knowingly participating in the creation of a child knowing the child’s fate?
It can also be harder, if the severe illness is some kind of mental illnessWhen people are suffering from severe illness, it is amazing how much easier it is to abstain.
It’s about as common as being pregnant with children who are at different stages of development.Strange things can happen. Anyone using NFP has to be open to the possibility, however remote and far-fetched it might be, that a pregnancy could occur.
I’ve heard of that happening. Very, very rare, but not impossible.Strange things can happen. Anyone using NFP has to be open to the possibility, however remote and far-fetched it might be, that a pregnancy could occur.
Getting pregnant by rape is more commonI’ve heard of that happening. Very, very rare, but not impossible.
Well there’s a point where you just have to accept that life has risks. I think living your life in fear of that is like not getting out of bed because of all the possible wrongs that could happen to you at any step of the journey.I’ve heard of that happening. Very, very rare, but not impossible.
True, and different people are willing to risk different things. Even if it were licit for a couple to have relations and practice NFP if the wife were taking a medication that would kill any child conceived — and I cannot accept that it is licit — I would not take that chance.Well there’s a point where you just have to accept that life has risks. I think living your life in fear of that is like not getting out of bed because of all the possible wrongs that could happen to you at any step of the journey.
Just a clarification: NFP is not possible while being on hormonal contraceptivesA side note: if a woman has to take a potentially abortifacient contraceptive for therapeutic purposes (to regulate the cycle, to alleviate endometriosis, etc.), it seems to me that she and her husband would be bound to go through the motions of practicing, at the very least, conservative NFP
It is licit, but not mandatory. You can abstain if you want, but “I would” or “I wouldn’t” are just that.Even if it were licit for a couple to have relations and practice NFP if the wife were taking a medication that would kill any child conceived — and I cannot accept that it is licit — I would not take that chance.
I was imprecise in my wording, sorry. I meant that the couple would have to abstain during the period when ovulation can be foreseen as a reasonable possibility (several days on either side of approximately day 14-15, give or take).A side note: if a woman has to take a potentially abortifacient contraceptive for therapeutic purposes (to regulate the cycle, to alleviate endometriosis, etc.), it seems to me that she and her husband would be bound to go through the motions of practicing, at the very least, conservative NFP
There is no such a period while on hormonal contraception. Periodcouple would have to abstain during the period when ovulation can be foreseen as a reasonable possibility
This sounds more like a “penance” than a scientific method to avoid conceiving a child that will die in the womb(several days on either side of approximately day 14-15, give or take).
If it is a method that absolutely suppresses ovulation (anovulant), and that is the only thing that it does, this is true. However, some BCPs work differently:couple would have to abstain during the period when ovulation can be foreseen as a reasonable possibility
https://www.catholicsistas.com/2013/07/how-does-the-birth-control-pill-work/
There is also an excellent essay on this subject, “The Pill Does Kill”, that was distributed several years ago by the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS), but I haven’t been able to find it online. The link I posted above is the next best thing. I have the WELS essay in text format but it would run far longer than the character limit on CAF.
No “penance” is necessary when the contraceptive aspect of a therapeutic drug is not directly willed.(several days on either side of approximately day 14-15, give or take).