unmarried and pregnant RE teacher

  • Thread starter Thread starter bakerst
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Charlotte, you really surprise me.

You call yourself Catholic, yet you believe in sin. I suppose that you believe in punishment for sin. You probably also believe that mortal sin is punishable by eternity in hell. You believe that babies born out of wedlock are called illegitimate. You probably also believe that sex outside of wedlock is a mortal sin called fornication. You think that teachers have a great responsibility and are held to an even higher standard than others. I suppose that you believe that we have souls and that saving our own souls and helping to save others is a higher priority than figuring out a way to live in sin and also keep one’s job. Geeez.

You are a pleasant surprise. 🙂
 
I realise that some posters are going to get really annoyed. Bakerst has not aborted her baby, so every other choice she makes here on in should be heralded! I disagree, and so does God. His Word makes it clear that the teachers of His faith are held to a much higher accountability than the rest of us. And since she asked our Catholic opinion on a Catholic forum, and she claims to be Catholic and is teaching our faith, we need to give a Catholic opinion, not an emotional opinion, not an opinion that reflects popular culture!
Oh, not annoyed at all.

She is pregnant, she isn’t planning on getting married anytime soon and she wants to know how much she can get away with. Yep, that’s how I read it.
 
As someone who went through the UK “catholic” schools system I have seen first hand the devastating spiritual effects of watered-down, lukewarm, non-existent and vague catechesis.
It is most likely that the OP doesn’t know that she doesn’t know.
I have many friends from catholic school who would honestly and in ignorance consider themselves catholics in good standing.
They would be unlikely , for example to go to confession since they honestly believe they have no need of it-a relic from the past perhaps-plus we were taught that God is nice and we are nice and everyone is basically good.
I come from a generation that doesn’t know that strolling along to Mass every so often is a sin (never heard the word) and that what is in our hearts matters (whatever that means).
Since we were also taught that we are all going to Heaven, why should it matter how we live?
I don’t know what my point is. Pray for the UK. Pray for our teachers.Pray.
 
And is anyone else completely sickened that Bakerst compares herself situation to the situation of Our Blessed Mother, Ever Virgin, who conceived Our Lord in total chastity by the power of the Holy Spirit???

This is really disgusting! Is anyone else seeing this??
I admit that I raised an eyebrow to it, but then gave her the benefit of the doubt. I don’t think she was equating herself (or even her situation) to Mary. She’s probably more likely looking to Mary for help knowing Mary was probably pretty scared too. Regardless of how one gets pregnant while unmarried, it’s probably pretty terrifying.
 
Reading all of the responses on here has certainly given me very much to think about. Thank you all!

I have spoken to the Chaplin here who has given me some advice and my union. My contract does have a clause related to behaviour that is not in line with Catholic ethos, but it does not say that it is a sackable offence. I was in the process of applying for new jobs when I discovered my pregnancy, as I am relocating with my partner. This is something I will have to put on the back burner for a while. Someone on here mentioned that I should follow my conscience and yes my conscience tells me I have made a mistake falling pregnant under these circumstances. My conscience also tells me that my priority now is the life that is growing inside me, and I must ensure that I, that we, are able to provide for this baby, and to my mind that involves receiving my maternity pay. I have thrown my heart and soul into this job and gone above and beyond the call of duty in my roles. I would say that I am well respected and I think that people will be pleased for me.

The Chaplin is a Catholic priest, no? If so, you actually did speak with a priest and looked into the moral ramifications, etc (contrary to what others have said here). What did he say/advise? And how do you feel about what he said?

I intend to speak to my boss on his return, by that time I will be engaged. My partner has told me he will marry me if the school requests that we do, however, I personally am not comfortable with that, judge me as you will, but I do not want to get married under pressure for a job as much as I love it. I want to marry for the right reasons, and many of you here will say that having a child is reason enough, but I know, my conscience knows I will be doing it because I have been told to. I want us to marry, just not right this minute. Sorry to those of you who disagree with me here.

I** also think you need to marry for the right reasons (and your boyfriend must not feel pressured). Also, keep in mind that, as many have said here, you may not be able to have a sacramental marriage while pregnant anyway. At the same time, you need to make changes in your life as you move towards marriage…to make yourself right with God and His Church. You need to stop living with your boyfriend.**

If this had happened to a male colleges of mine it would not even be an issue would it? I suppose it’s because I am a woman and it will become visible soon. I hope my boss will be supportive and I believe that he will, as does my Chaplin. I love God, I love my faith, I love my job and I love my baby and partner. I have made a mistake, but I am also overjoyed by the blessings that God has granted me giving me this more precious task of being a parent. Mary herself was unmarried when she discovered her own pregnancy and it is to her I have been praying to a lot of late.

Part of me thinks that despite how wrong all of this is that it could be a huge opportunity to teach the children…about sinning and repenting…perhaps that is what your Chaplin and boss see too. However, that requires that you do everything you can to make things right. You need to be able to show the children that you have “gone and sinned no more”.

I do hope this will be resolved in some way or another. There is sadness and anxiety hanging over what should be a celebratory time for me. I have to remain silent to all the people I know and that is hard. I also realise that I have put my institution in a difficult position. By law, I cannot be fired, but that is not the point here I feel. I must speck to my Boss and take it from there.

Someone else mentioned, I should possibly reconsider my vocation, and yes, this is something I too have struggled with and considered a lot in the past and when I leave it is certainly something I should consider further, as to whether I should teach in a faith school. However, despite my mistakes I think I also have a huge amount to offer too, and I still feel that this is where God wanted me to be. I know despite my sins, I have inspired young people to consider their faith and think about Jesus and God and I think this is something special in our ever increasing secular society. Most of the pupils here are not active Catholics, sad as that is.

I’m not convinced that you should pack it in either…we’re all sinners. Its just that this sin is so visible. Let the Chaplin (PRIEST) and your boss decide what would be best for the children, the school and your soul.

Again thank you your words have helped me greatly. God bless you all
 
I’m not convinced that you should pack it in either…we’re all sinners. Its just that this sin is so visible. Let the Chaplin (PRIEST) and your boss decide what would be best for the children, the school and your soul.
Really? She needs someone to tell her what is best for her soul and the children and she is a religion teacher? Doesn’t she already know about the sixth commandment? Has she read the Catechism? The Catechism seems very clear:
2353 Fornication is carnal union between an unmarried man and an unmarried woman. It is gravely contrary to the dignity of persons and of human sexuality which is naturally ordered to the good of spouses and the generation and education of children. Moreover, it is a grave scandal when there is corruption of the young.
I would not want her teaching my children.
 
Really? She needs someone to tell her what is best for her soul and the children and she is a religion teacher? Doesn’t she already know about the sixth commandment? Has she read the Catechism? The Catechism seems very clear:

I would not want her teaching my children.
Even if she repented and changed her life?
There’s also a lot in the Catechism about forgiveness.

The key here is… is she willing to change her life? Right now it doesn’t sound like she is willing to do so, but I don’t really know that.
 
Even if she repented and changed her life?
There’s also a lot in the Catechism about forgiveness.

The key here is… is she willing to change her life? Right now it doesn’t sound like she is willing to do so, but I don’t really know that.
If she changed, of course, my statement would be different.

This is important. The subject involves one of the hardest challenges facing parents. Parents must teach their children about morality and especially chastity. It is sooo difficult when peers, tv, movies, music, and teachers are against you.
 
I have spoken to the Chaplin here who has given me some advice and my union. My contract does have a clause related to behaviour that is not in line with Catholic ethos, but it does not say that it is a sackable offence.

I intend to speak to my boss on his return,

I hope my boss will be supportive and I believe that he will, as does my Chaplin.
I do not understand your reliance on support from your “boss”. The Headteacher has day-to-day management but, surely, you must know that the buck stops with the Governing Body of the school.
Bakerst’s choices and morals here are appearing uglier the more she has to say.

Yes, one would presume she is living with him, as she calls him"partner" - that is today’s tagline for “live-in lover with an ongoing sexual relationship”. And she was going to move with him, til the pregnancy came about. She is only not-moving with him now for the money - not for any moral reason.

…

And is anyone else completely sickened that Bakerst compares herself situation to the situation of Our Blessed Mother, Ever Virgin, who conceived Our Lord in total chastity by the power of the Holy Spirit???

This is really disgusting! Is anyone else seeing this??
Yes. On both parts highlighted above.
 
Even if she repented and changed her life?
There’s also a lot in the Catechism about forgiveness.

The key here is… is she willing to change her life? Right now it doesn’t sound like she is willing to do so, but I don’t really know that.
I think it is quite clear that she doesn’t plan on changing anything.
 
Bakerst’s choices and morals here are appearing uglier the more she has to say.

Yes, one would presume she is living with him, as she calls him"partner" - that is today’s tagline for “live-in lover with an ongoing sexual relationship”. And she was going to move with him, til the pregnancy came about. She is only not-moving with him now for the money - not for any moral reason.

Some of you may think it charitable to assume her un-saids mean she is doing everything on the up and up. Pardon me but I will just comment on the impressions as she gives them, and not attribute some loftier possibility to them. She is free to correct any wrong assumptions.

She wants her job for the money, she is not concerned about the morals she is teaching and should be upholding, only what she can get away with, and keep her paycheck. Basically, she has chosen to live the life as a hypocrite. Nice start for baby. But she will get money!!!

Perhaps she has not come across our Church’s teaching that the end does not justify the means?

It is not so lofty for her to use the excuse that she is prioritizing materially providing for her baby. Even criminals and murderers provide for their own children. So big deal. Not impressed.

I think my suggestion to ask the opinion of a holy and wise priest what is the right thing to do and spend time considering his advice is going to fall on deaf ears. She seems disinterested in moral advice, she wants practical advice, and to know what she can get away with. Which her contract adviser has told her. If she were morally motivated, she would seek the counsel of a priest reputed to be wise and holy BEFORE she asked what she can get away with in her contract (She can’t get fired for being pregnant! Woo-ee!).

And I did say find a priest with a reputation for being wise and holy. As there are some priests (and chaplains) with a reputation for being pleasantly and indulgently tolerant, and never speaking of sin.

Its true what Bakerst said - if a male were in this situation, he could hide his sin! And she cannot! The evidence cannot be hid when you are a woman. What terrible discrimination against woman! Gee!

Bakerst will certainly find support. Getting pregnant outside of marraige will probably gain her plenty of sympathetic support - it is politically and culturally correct to fawn over her! She may have the support of the majority of her colleagues who will express no concern over her marital state. And the engagement ring can fool many into politely assuming the best, that she is not planning on continuing in the same lifestyle that got her in the situation. And they would be wrong! But the ring helps deceive the intentions she has stated here, that she will continue until she “feels like” making it right.

Cafeteria Catholics may be in the majority in her Catholic school among staff and among the poor students, who are catechized by the likes of Bakerst. But I feel certain God has not abandoned that school and so there are some who will be deeply troubled, particularly if her intentions to not-repent get out, and while she is called as RE to teach her students otherwise. Object lesson in hypocrisy?? It will likely cause some to pull their kids out of school. But that won’t affect Bakerst’s paycheck, so, that will be okay!

😦

I realise that some posters are going to get really annoyed. Bakerst has not aborted her baby, so every other choice she makes here on in should be heralded! I disagree, and so does God. His Word makes it clear that the teachers of His faith are held to a much higher accountability than the rest of us. And since she asked our Catholic opinion on a Catholic forum, and she claims to be Catholic and is teaching our faith, we need to give a Catholic opinion, not an emotional opinion, not an opinion that reflects popular culture!

God is clear on the high standard he holds Bakerst to:

“Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.” James 3:1

Yes, bakerst should be aware of this, and also how God judges one who leads his little ones astray:

“Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were hung around his neck and he were thrown into the sea." Matthew 9:42.

And is anyone else completely sickened that Bakerst compares herself situation to the situation of Our Blessed Mother, Ever Virgin, who conceived Our Lord in total chastity by the power of the Holy Spirit???

This is really disgusting! Is anyone else seeing this??

There you go, Bakerst. You said, “Judge me as you will”. Well, I judged your actions and your words. That’s fair game. And my responsibility as a Catholic.

Sister in Christ, you are in grave sin on many accounts. Repent, and be saved.
You are wonderfully refreshing.👍
 
I was not equating myself with The Virgin Mary and would apologise to anyone who would think this, i can see how may comment may be taken out of context. It is her I am currently trying to find strength in . I thank you for your frank words, as hard as there are to read. These are things i spent my time agonising about all the time. I am seeing my priest tonight, lets hope he is ‘holy and wise’. God will be my judge. Thank you all again
 
I agree. Seems like it has morphed into a bunch of posts patting themselves on the back.
The deplorable lack of charity on here is ridiculous. Especially since the OP has been nothing but kind and charitable, even to those who are insulting her and being awful.

Oh sure, some say, we as Catholics must inform her she’s sinning, since we perceive she has no intention of repenting or rushing into a marriage. Well, it’s one thing to say it with kindness and another to rub her nose in it. Do people honestly think that some of the comments made on here are going to encourage her to change her mind or her ways?
 
The deplorable lack of charity on here is ridiculous. Especially since the OP has been nothing but kind and charitable, even to those who are insulting her and being awful.
Agreed. Some things posted on this forum from people that are extremely judgmental are simply ridiculous.
 
The deplorable lack of charity on here is ridiculous. Especially since the OP has been nothing but kind and charitable, even to those who are insulting her and being awful.

Oh sure, some say, we as Catholics must inform her she’s sinning, since we perceive she has no intention of repenting or rushing into a marriage. Well, it’s one thing to say it with kindness and another to rub her nose in it. Do people honestly think that some of the comments made on here are going to encourage her to change her mind or her ways?

Agree --100%.
 
I am an Religious Education teacher in a Catholic High School in the UK. I have along term partner and we intend to marry in the next few years. I have a strong faith although I have obviously not practised in some aspects of my life, otherwise I would not be in this position. I realise that I have not acted in the manner appropriate to my position by falling pregnant. The fact is I am and this is something I must now deal with and face up to. Part of me is happy, I have been blessed, and God willing I will have this baby.

I am also terrified. I do not know what will happen regards my job. Should I gracefully bow out and hand in my resignation? I have worked in my school for many years. I am happy and I have some wonderful people around me. It is a Catholic school however, and I understand the expectations of behaviour. This may sound callous, but I do not want to leave and not get the best out of my maturity pay, I will certainly need this in the coming months. Can they fire me? Or give me ultimatums such as get married quickly? We want to marry and we will, but my partner does not want to do it while I am pregnant plus the financial implications would be high and we now have a child on the way.

I feel ashamed of myself and scared. Scared of being judged and shunned from my community. I do not know my rights and I am looking into this, but I don’t want this situation to descend into any kind of a battle. Nor do I want to bring shame on the community.

Any advice welcome, I cannot seem to find any information on this kind of situation.

Best wishes all
God’s blessings on your sweet baby in your womb and upon you and baby’s father.

Please never be ashamed of your precious child.

It is natural to be ashamed of committing sexual sins, even when we think know one else knows of our actions.

Confession is important for you and for your baby’s father. Sorrow for the sins of fornication with a desire in your heart not to commit this sin again.

Your sin is not “falling pregnant”, but sexual relations with someone who is not your spouse.

Part of you is happy, and rightfully so…you should always be happy with this most beautiful child.

You are doing the right thing to meet with your boss. May God give you strength and courage as you discuss your situation.

I would think if you are asked to resign due to not upholding the standards set by the school and diocese, those standard should be living a morally acceptable lifestyle. To me, if a teacher is choosing to live with a man who is not her husband then she is not accepting the teachings of the Catholic Church. It is the “living together” that the teacher would be reprimanded for, not for the fact she is pregnant.

When we sin, we repent of that sin and plan to change our ways. We do this in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. In this case it means no longer living together. Since you call this man “your partner”, it is assumed he is a man you live with “as if” he is your husband, a man you are in an active sexual relationship with.

A unmarried pregnant teacher, IMHO, could remain a teacher in a Catholic School. Yes, it does mean you would be saying, “Kids, parents, I did commit a sin of sex outside of marriage. I have repented to God and I ask you to forgive me, too. All our sins affect each other. I am sorry.”

If as an unmarried teacher, pregnant or not, you are in a “partner” relationship, that is where you would be a poor example to the children and to the teachings of the Church. I think it becomes scandal, as the community sees you living with a man who is not your husband.

May God give you strength to live a celibate life until He unites you in Holy Matrimony. May you witness this celibate life by living in separate homes.

The Church does not encourage couples to marry because of a child. The Church does not encourage couples to “move up the date” of a planned wedding because of a child.

(This I base on the understanding that “partner” equals a couple living together with sexual relationships as if they had been united by God in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony.)

God’s blessings on each of you.
 
I was not equating myself with The Virgin Mary and would apologise to anyone who would think this, i can see how may comment may be taken out of context. It is her I am currently trying to find strength in . I thank you for your frank words, as hard as there are to read. These are things i spent my time agonising about all the time. I am seeing my priest tonight, lets hope he is ‘holy and wise’. God will be my judge. Thank you all again
ive just come across this post…

God bless you and your child… may he give you strength and wisdom…most of all courage to overcome adversity.

im sure you will get through this and come out the other end.

God bless you both…

im not posting to give advice,im posting for my support to you.if it helps…

you are both in my prayers…🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top