UoM How to be Gay course --- this is not a joke

  • Thread starter Thread starter Daniel_Marsh
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel_Marsh

Guest
ENGLISH 317. Literature and Culture.
Section 002 — How to be Gay: Male Homosexuality and Initiation.

Credits: (3; 2 in the half-term).

Instructor(s): David M Halperin (halperin@umich.edu)

Course Description:

Just because you happen to be a gay man doesn’t mean that you don’t have to learn how to become one. Gay men do some of that learning on their own, but often we learn how to be gay from others, either because we look to them for instruction or because they simply tell us what they think we need to know, whether we ask for their advice or not.

This course will examine the general topic of the role that initiation plays in the formation of gay male identity. We will approach it from three angles: (1) as a sub-cultural practice — subtle, complex, and difficult to theorize — which a small but significant body of work in queer studies has begun to explore; (2) as a theme in gay male writing; and (3) as a class project, since the course itself will constitute an experiment in the very process of initiation that it hopes to understand.

In particular, we will examine a number of cultural artifacts and activities that seem to play a prominent role in learning how to be gay: Hollywood movies, grand opera, Broadway musicals, and other works of classical and popular music, as well as camp, diva-worship, drag, muscle culture, taste, style, and political activism. Are there a number of classically ‘gay’ works such that, despite changing tastes and generations, all gay men, of whatever class, race, or ethnicity, need to know them, in order to be gay? What is there about gay identity that explains the gay appropriation of these works? What do we learn about gay male identity by asking not who gay men are but what it is that gay men do or like? One aim of exploring these questions is to approach gay identity from the perspective of social practices and cultural identifications rather than from the perspective of gay sexuality itself. What can such an approach tell us about the sentimental, affective, or subjective dimensions of gay identity, including gay sexuality, that an exclusive focus on gay sexuality cannot?

At the core of gay experience there is not only identification but disidentification. Almost as soon as I learn how to be gay, or perhaps even before, I also learn how not to be gay. I say to myself, ‘Well, I may be gay, but at least I’m not like that!’ Rather than attempting to promote one version of gay identity at the expense of others, this course will investigate the stakes in gay identifications and disidentifications, seeking ultimately to create the basis for a wider acceptance of the plurality of ways in which people determine how to be gay.

Additional note. This course is not a basic introduction to gay male culture, but an exploration of certain issues arising from it. It assumes some background knowledge. Students wishing to inform themselves about gay men and gay culture in a preliminary way should enroll in an introductory course in lesbian/gay studies.

umich.edu/news/index.html?BG/317descr
 
There was a big to-do about this course when it was first “outed” (pun intended). 😉 Then the excitement faded away.

Good old UM, liberally social haven. Sigh…
 
ENGLISH 317. Literature and Culture.
Section 002 — How to be Gay: Male Homosexuality and Initiation.

Credits: (3; 2 in the half-term).

Instructor(s): David M Halperin (halperin@umich.edu)

Course Description:

Just because you happen to be a gay man doesn’t mean that you don’t have to learn how to become one. Gay men do some of that learning on their own, but often we learn how to be gay from others, either because we look to them for instruction or because they simply tell us what they think we need to know, whether we ask for their advice or not.

This course will examine the general topic of the role that initiation plays in the formation of gay male identity. We will approach it from three angles: (1) as a sub-cultural practice — subtle, complex, and difficult to theorize — which a small but significant body of work in queer studies has begun to explore; (2) as a theme in gay male writing; and (3) as a class project, since the course itself will constitute an experiment in the very process of initiation that it hopes to understand.

In particular, we will examine a number of cultural artifacts and activities that seem to play a prominent role in learning how to be gay: Hollywood movies, grand opera, Broadway musicals, and other works of classical and popular music, as well as camp, diva-worship, drag, muscle culture, taste, style, and political activism. Are there a number of classically ‘gay’ works such that, despite changing tastes and generations, all gay men, of whatever class, race, or ethnicity, need to know them, in order to be gay? What is there about gay identity that explains the gay appropriation of these works? What do we learn about gay male identity by asking not who gay men are but what it is that gay men do or like? One aim of exploring these questions is to approach gay identity from the perspective of social practices and cultural identifications rather than from the perspective of gay sexuality itself. What can such an approach tell us about the sentimental, affective, or subjective dimensions of gay identity, including gay sexuality, that an exclusive focus on gay sexuality cannot?

At the core of gay experience there is not only identification but disidentification. Almost as soon as I learn how to be gay, or perhaps even before, I also learn how not to be gay. I say to myself, ‘Well, I may be gay, but at least I’m not like that!’ Rather than attempting to promote one version of gay identity at the expense of others, this course will investigate the stakes in gay identifications and disidentifications, seeking ultimately to create the basis for a wider acceptance of the plurality of ways in which people determine how to be gay.

Additional note. This course is not a basic introduction to gay male culture, but an exploration of certain issues arising from it. It assumes some background knowledge. Students wishing to inform themselves about gay men and gay culture in a preliminary way should enroll in an introductory course in lesbian/gay studies.

umich.edu/news/index.html?BG/317descr
I I wonder if the course would admit straight women? It could be extremely enlightening to attend such a course. The idea of “disidentification” interests me as I know a handful of Anglican clergy who have SSA but who soundly reject the lifestyle, the agenda, the morality and everything else associated with it. Hmm. What would professor Halpering make of such one-hundred-percent “disidentifiers”?
 
What would professor Halpering make of such one-hundred-percent “disidentifiers”?
My guess? He would call the liars.

~Liza
Actually, I believe he would call them what the APA’s DSM IV calls them.

Mentally ill.

You see, in the DSM IV, rejecting homosexuality is the only form of sexual deviance or disorder left. (That includes pedophilia which is simply classified as a crime.)
 
ENGLISH 317. Literature and Culture.
Section 002 — How to be Gay: Male Homosexuality and Initiation.

Credits: (3; 2 in the half-term).

Instructor(s): David M Halperin (halperin@umich.edu)

Course Description:

Just because you happen to be a gay man doesn’t mean that you don’t have to learn how to become one. Gay men do some of that learning on their own, but often we learn how to be gay from others, either because we look to them for instruction or because they simply tell us what they think we need to know, whether we ask for their advice or not.

This course will examine the general topic of the role that initiation plays in the formation of gay male identity. We will approach it from three angles: (1) as a sub-cultural practice — subtle, complex, and difficult to theorize — which a small but significant body of work in queer studies has begun to explore; (2) as a theme in gay male writing; and (3) as a class project, since the course itself will constitute an experiment in the very process of initiation that it hopes to understand.

In particular, we will examine a number of cultural artifacts and activities that seem to play a prominent role in learning how to be gay: Hollywood movies, grand opera, Broadway musicals, and other works of classical and popular music, as well as camp, diva-worship, drag, muscle culture, taste, style, and political activism. Are there a number of classically ‘gay’ works such that, despite changing tastes and generations, all gay men, of whatever class, race, or ethnicity, need to know them, in order to be gay? What is there about gay identity that explains the gay appropriation of these works? What do we learn about gay male identity by asking not who gay men are but what it is that gay men do or like? One aim of exploring these questions is to approach gay identity from the perspective of social practices and cultural identifications rather than from the perspective of gay sexuality itself. What can such an approach tell us about the sentimental, affective, or subjective dimensions of gay identity, including gay sexuality, that an exclusive focus on gay sexuality cannot?

At the core of gay experience there is not only identification but disidentification. Almost as soon as I learn how to be gay, or perhaps even before, I also learn how not to be gay. I say to myself, ‘Well, I may be gay, but at least I’m not like that!’ Rather than attempting to promote one version of gay identity at the expense of others, this course will investigate the stakes in gay identifications and disidentifications, seeking ultimately to create the basis for a wider acceptance of the plurality of ways in which people determine how to be gay.

Additional note. This course is not a basic introduction to gay male culture, but an exploration of certain issues arising from it. It assumes some background knowledge. Students wishing to inform themselves about gay men and gay culture in a preliminary way should enroll in an introductory course in lesbian/gay studies.

umich.edu/news/index.html?BG/317descr
**
hmmmmmm.
might be time to take me out and shoot me.**

IN-CRE-DI-BLE.
 
Excerpts from the course description:
Are there a number of classically ‘gay’ works such that, despite changing tastes and generations, all gay men, of whatever class, race, or ethnicity, need to know them, in order to be gay?
Almost as soon as I learn how to be gay, or perhaps even before, I also learn how not to be gay.
I thought the whole idea was that one was BORN gay. If you have to “learn how to be gay”, then that blows the whole genetic basis for homosexuality argument out of the water.

Sigh. I’m glad I’m in the medical school and not the college of LSA. That’s not quite as bad as some of the courses on things like sexual fetishes and porn that are offered at some schools, but still. Will it really contribute to a well-rounded education?
 
Excerpts from the course description:

I thought the whole idea was that one was BORN gay. If you have to “learn how to be gay”, then that blows the whole genetic basis for homosexuality argument out of the water.

Sigh. I’m glad I’m in the medical school and not the college of LSA. That’s not quite as bad as some of the courses on things like sexual fetishes and porn that are offered at some schools, but still. Will it really contribute to a well-rounded education?
I don’t think the course is about teaching people THAT they are gay but about how a person with SSA forms into a “gay” person. Yet, with the material covered in the course, it points in the direction of canonizing a certain literature and a sequence of developmental stages as passage-points. I guess this is a crossover course between literature and sociology.

Sigh. I’m still going to support the Michigan Men’s Glee Club, though. It’s my one frivolous charity.
 
I don’t think the course is about teaching people THAT they are gay but about how a person with SSA forms into a “gay” person. Yet, with the material covered in the course, it points in the direction of canonizing a certain literature and a sequence of developmental stages as passage-points. I guess this is a crossover course between literature and sociology.
I did get that, but between the course section title and those passages from the course description, it really seems more like cultural indoctrination rather than overview.
 
I did get that, but between the course section title and those passages from the course description, it really seems more like cultural indoctrination rather than overview.
Sorry to say that I have to agree with you.

O Alma Mater! Quomodo ceciderunt fortes in proelio!
 
This is absolutely ridiculous. What in the heck is this type of thing doing in a college curriculum?
 
And people wonder why, when I was in school there, Ann Arbor was called the “twit magnet of the midwest.” I’ll never forget when the Public Health grad students dressed up as spermatozoa, and went over to the School of Public Health and began to bounce off the building, all in an effort to promote condom use on campus. Don’t even ask me about the atrocities that occurred at the student chapel every Sunday.(affectionately referred to as St. Mary’s Flying Circus!):grouphug:
 
I I wonder if the course would admit straight women?
I don’t see why not. It wouldn’t be any different that a guy taking a 300 level Women’s Studies course. It might feel a bit like being a fish out of water, but there is no reason to think that the situation would be unworkable.

English 317 has a provocative title, but its premise is substantially what Simone de Beauvoir meant when she wrote: “One is not born a woman, but becomes one.” In other words, the course looks at the social and psychological construction of the gay role in society and culture.
40.png
SeekerJen:
…between the course section title and those passages from the course description, it really seems more like cultural indoctrination rather than overview.
Well, yes and no. It does assume the validity of being gay. But the course specifically says that it is not intended to be an overview and refers people seeking such a course to look elsewhere. This course, after all, is an advanced class (300 level) .
 
This course will examine the general topic of the role that initiation plays in the formation of gay male identity. We will approach it from three angles: (1) as a sub-cultural practice — subtle, complex, and difficult to theorize — which a small but significant body of work in queer studies has begun to explore; (2) as a theme in gay male writing; and **(3) as a class project, since the course itself will constitute an experiment in the very process of initiation that it hopes to understand. **
What does this mean? Do members of the class have to initiate a gay relationship in order to understand the process of initiation?
 
What does this mean? Do members of the class have to initiate a gay relationship in order to understand the process of initiation?
Putting the best face on it that one can, one might speculate that it is role playing. As a graduate student in psychology at Columbia, our intro to family counseling involved acting out scenarios . . .
 
Kind of looks to me like Prof Halperin found a way to get paid for cruising. He won’t even have to tap his foot under a toilet stall. They’ll all be right there in his class, ready to “learn”!
 
Putting the best face on it that one can, one might speculate that it is role playing.
No, I don’t think that is it. I think that it is self-referential. Anticipating that most (if not all) of the students will be gay males, the class project is about self-understanding - acceptance of a personal identity of being gay and what it means to identify as being gay.
 
Don’t even ask me about the atrocities that occurred at the student chapel every Sunday.(affectionately referred to as St. Mary’s Flying Circus!):grouphug:
I’ve been to Mass at St. Mary’s and while it’s not great, it’s several levels better than St. John’s at Michigan State. That place is disturbing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top