Wal-Mart redefines 'family' in new policy

  • Thread starter Thread starter katherine2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
katherine2:
Oh, then definately not. 😃 I play a lot of cards, but this is interesting where I win by simply not showing my hand. I’ll leave a note in my will that this should all be explained to you at my death.
:tsktsk:

Win? I starting counting the money several posts ago.
 
Brad,

But in that support we are also giving support to horrible things like abortion, child labor, etc…

Catholics cannot do evil in order to produce good. By supporting states so deeply entrenched in evil, we are directly supporting that evil…we are doing evil in order for good to result. Now, some good does indeed come out of that evil…but we are not allowed by our faith to do evil in order to gain a good.
 
Sorry if your going to use that logic to not shop at Walmart. Please throw out your PC because both Intel and AMD have a SS domestic policy, also stop drinking Coke or Pepsi, and your going to have to clean your clothes on rocks or homemade soap. Oh and forget most drug companies, clothing, car manufacturers etc, etc. Why not just join a hermit group in the end.
 
40.png
katherine2:
I believe we should have universal health care making domestic partner benefits a moot point ( and I believe this because this is what my Church tells me is right).

Of course, the Church also teaches that its not the employers place to reject unions, but a decision of the workers.
How do you conclude from the Church’s statement that it is acceptable to form labor unions that the Church thinks a universal health care plan is a natural right or simply a ā€œrightā€ as you indicate?

Fiat
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Brad,

But in that support we are also giving support to horrible things like abortion, child labor, etc…

Catholics cannot do evil in order to produce good. By supporting states so deeply entrenched in evil, we are directly supporting that evil…we are doing evil in order for good to result. Now, some good does indeed come out of that evil…but we are not allowed by our faith to do evil in order to gain a good.
You are oversimplifying the point. I understand what you are trying to say but buying a product made in China is not a sin. Purposely buying a product made in China because it puts money in the governments pocket to fund abortions would be a sin.
 
jermosh,

You would be surprised how many personal boycotts I have done, some have actually worked, others will not work until more people get involved.

One has to engage in the world, and we have to do our best to make the world a better place…walmart has many evil practices, and it is the single largest target on earth regarding retailers…so to make a dent in their bottom-line is not easy. Yet, Catholics cannot sit on their hands just because the world is filled to the brim with sin and evil…we are Jesus’ hands and feet…

The war is won one battle at a time. If Catholics caused walmart to improve their moral standings, that would place a tremendous pressure on other smaller companies.

With man nothing is possible…with God all things are possible.

Pick something and work it! šŸ™‚
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
jermosh,

You would be surprised how many personal boycotts I have done, some have actually worked, others will not work until more people get involved.

One has to engage in the world, and we have to do our best to make the world a better place…walmart has many evil practices, and it is the single largest target on earth regarding retailers…so to make a dent in their bottom-line is not easy. Yet, Catholics cannot sit on their hands just because the world is filled to the brim with sin and evil…we are Jesus’ hands and feet…

The war is won one battle at a time. If Catholics caused walmart to improve their moral standings, that would place a tremendous pressure on other smaller companies.

With man nothing is possible…with God all things are possible.

Pick something and work it! šŸ™‚
Many evil practices? I don’t think that is fair, nor a good demonstration of evil.

It is far too general. I’m sure I could apply this definition of evil over every single other company.

The proper way to handle this is to reward the company’s good beahvior and punish the company’s bad behavior.

Walmart allowes the Salvation Army - that is good.

Walmart doesn’t allow magazines that degrade women and push pornography to children - that is good.

Walmart has a very open and non-discriminatory hiring policy - that is good.

All this being said, I rarely shop there - but I don’t think companies should get beat up for surface level reasons when the real motivations may be unwillingness to face change.
 
Brad,

Cooperating with evil is a sin…we have trade agreements with China, our nation’s citizens profit and hold jobs because of the trade between our nations…that all adds-up to us supporting sin at the very least indirectly and in many cases directly. We look the other way while they continue hav child labor, imprison Priests and Bishops, kill dissenters, shutdown Churches, mandate one-child laws, commit large numbers of abortions…etc…

The world cannot improve if people of faith do not stand for something.
 
Greed drives our nation and that is why we constantly look the other way when horrible sins are commited…even in our own backyard with abortion, adultery, divorce, etc…
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
jermosh,

You would be surprised how many personal boycotts I have done, some have actually worked, others will not work until more people get involved.
A classic example being the Guiness boycott. The Guiness family, though living in Eire, is thoroughly anti-Catholic, and their hiring practices are very discriminatory.

Eire does not have Affirmative Action like we have – seeing it as simply another form of discrimination. So people in Ireland got together and boycotted Guiness.

The boycot dragged on all afternoon.http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
 
Brad,

Unwillingness to face change? If that is meant for me, you could not be more wrong.

The United States does much good, a ton of good actually, so I suppose we should not attempt to stop abortion because we already do a ton of good things?

Walmart does plenty of good things, I never said it did not…yet are we to look the other way just because they do good too?
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Brad,

Cooperating with evil is a sin…we have trade agreements with China, our nation’s citizens profit and hold jobs because of the trade between our nations…that all adds-up to us supporting sin at the very least indirectly and in many cases directly. We look the other way while they continue hav child labor, imprison Priests and Bishops, kill dissenters, shutdown Churches, mandate one-child laws, commit large numbers of abortions…etc…

The world cannot improve if people of faith do not stand for something.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t do something nor that we should look away.

I’m suggesting alternate strategy. Forcing China into isolation will not solve their problems. You are dealing with a Communist state. They will not stop persecuting their people because we sto p trading with them.

You may want to stop some trading and certainly not fund any immoral or illegal programs. You can condemn the Church persecution. You can sanction the government. But a blanket boycott of all products - I don’t think is going to do the trick.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Greed drives our nation and that is why we constantly look the other way when horrible sins are commited…even in our own backyard with abortion, adultery, divorce, etc…
I’m the last person to look away regarding these sins. I’m simply suggesting a more in-depth strategy to a complicated problem
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Brad,

Unwillingness to face change? If that is meant for me, you could not be more wrong.

The United States does much good, a ton of good actually, so I suppose we should not attempt to stop abortion because we already do a ton of good things?

Walmart does plenty of good things, I never said it did not…yet are we to look the other way just because they do good too?
I’m not saying you should look the other way. Write letters, don’t shop there, tell people what you disagree with etc. I just don’t see justification for an all-out boycott. If there is, I’ve got at least 250 companies to boycott before them - they all sell products made in China and they all are involved in promotion of immorality.

If you want to stand against China’s policies then stand against China’s policies, not Walmart’s policies. You will be more effective that way.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Brad,

Unwillingness to face change? If that is meant for me, you could not be more wrong.
The comment was not meant for you personally. It was meant for the many in this country that use artificial reasons to protest Walmart when the real motivation is their own personal wallet.
 
40.png
Brad:
I’m not saying you should look the other way. Write letters, don’t shop there, tell people what you disagree with etc. I just don’t see justification for an all-out boycott. If there is, I’ve got at least 250 companies to boycott before them - they all sell products made in China and they all are involved in promotion of immorality.

If you want to stand against China’s policies then stand against China’s policies, not Walmart’s policies. You will be more effective that way.
Writing letters works. They figure every letter represents 16,000 people.

Success Stories from OneMillionMoms

Parents TV
 
40.png
Fiat:
How do you conclude from the Church’s statement that it is acceptable to form labor unions that the Church thinks a universal health care plan is a natural right or simply a ā€œrightā€ as you indicate?

Fiat
Could you re-state that. I’m not sure I’m understanding what you are asking. thanks.
 
40.png
Brad:
You are oversimplifying the point. I understand what you are trying to say but buying a product made in China is not a sin. Purposely buying a product made in China because it puts money in the governments pocket to fund abortions would be a sin.
Sot of like voting (buying) for a candidate (product) that’s pro-choice is not a sin. Purposely voting for a candidate because he is pro-choice is a sin. Some people beleive economic sanctions to stop abortion are ineffective. Others think legal sanctions are ineffective. I beleive both can be effective and I support the use of both, though I respect those who differ on one or the other or both.
 
40.png
Brad:
The comment was not meant for you personally. It was meant for the many in this country that use artificial reasons to protest Walmart when the real motivation is their own personal wallet.
We have come to the sorry pass in this country where we must find demons and plots – it’s easier to blame Wal Mart for our ā€œmaterialism and greedā€ than to accept responsibility for our own behavior (and profitable, too for some.)

If only Wal Mart were blasted off the face of the earth, all evil would cease, and we would return to the Garden of Eden. http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon10.gif
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top