[/INDENT]And when i ask the meaning of this, When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
(Matthew 16:13-19)
Catholics say He meant this,“And I tell you that you are Peter, and on [you] I will build my church…”
but Protestants tell me He meant this,“And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this [truth that I am the Son of God] I will build my church…”
This really isn’t an issue for most protestant scholars any more. - …you are Peter and on this rock, I will build my church.
Grammatically, Peter (petros which is masculine as opposed to petra, the second rock, which is feminine) - as the rock would logically be the rock itself, Jesus’ Church is built on. Grammatically speaking the second rock would have to refer to Peter, the first rock, since it is the closest noun! The pronoun “this” refers directly to the closest noun, which is Peter. ( rock)
There was no distinction between petra and petros in koine Greek. If anyone can prove that petra and petros meant 2 different things in koine Greek, I will gladly concede!

Just as there are current languages that have gender differences such as Spanish, Koine Greek too, had gender differences.
Furthermore the bible clearly states that Jesus and Paul refered to Simon as Cephas (Aramaic) - which means massive rock. If Jesus wanted to denigrate Simon by renaming him little pebble, He would have renamed him kevna, which gives way to the Greek word lithos, but He didn’t; He called Simon Cephas which is the transliteration of the word kepha:
“Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter).” John 1:42
“For I delivered to you first of all, what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day, according to the Scriptures and that He appeared to Cephas, and after that to the twelve.” 1 Cor. 15
“Have we not a right to take about with us a woman, a sister, as do the other apostles, and the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?” 1 Cor. 9
“Let no one take pride in men. For all things are yours, whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death; or things present, or things to come - all are yours, and you are Christ’s, and Christ is God’s.” 1 Cor. 3
“For I have been informed about you, my brethren, by those of the house of Chloe, that there are strifes among you. Now this is what I mean: each of you says, I am of Paul, or I am of Apollos, or I am of Cephas, or I am of Christ. Has Christ been divided up?” 1Cor. 1
Then, three years later I went to Jerusalem to become personally acquainted with Cephas. I stayed with him for fifteen days. Galations 1:18
“…and when they recognized the grace that was given to me, James and Cephas and John who were considered the pillars, gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the circumcised) provided only that we should be mindful of the poor, the very thing I was eager to do. But when Cephas came to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was deserving of blame. For before certain persons came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles… I said to Cephas before them all: ‘If thou, though a Jew, livest like the Gentiles, and not like the Jews, how is it that thou dost compel the Gentiles to live like the Jews?’” Galatians 2
My actual purpose is to find out whether Christ was ***deliberately ***ambiguous, and if He was, then what purpose would be served by making the New Testament ambiguous by design. Such ambiguity seems counter productive to His purpose, for He prayed:“Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one.”
(John 17:11)
Ambiguity is counter productive to Christ’s purpose, and it is due to individual/private interpretation. Perhaps that’s why Peter said:
“Above all, you must understand that no prophecy (teaching) - of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation. For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.”
The holy spirit was sent to Jesus’ established church on Pentecost who were/are in turn carried along by the Holy Spirit in perpetuity:
*"When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit *and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. Acts 2
“If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever— the Spirit of truth.”
Peace brother…