I just came on this thread and I am NOT going to read through 91 pages of thoughts.
My answer to the question is this – which according to the law of averages has already been presented numerous times.
Was Jesus deliberately ambiguous? NO NEVER
My wife gets confused with my words when I’m as clear as my abilities allow. In other words, applying my experience to the question of this thread - I don’t think we should give Jesus the credit for our taking His statements as ambiguous. I think we can do that effortlessly on our own.
In fact, since I believe that the Holy Spirit resides in all Christians and that all Christians don’t agree I don’t fault the Holy Spirit. I fault our maturity. We can be SO SURE of what we think God is doing in our lives – only to be totally wrong – and sometimes being only partially correct – and sometimes being almost correct. – but very seldom being totally correct.
Don’t forget St. Peter, one who in spite of his huge heart, said candidly …
(1 Pet 4:18) And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
As a total speculation here … Maybe God gives each of us JUST ENOUGH grace to squeak by. Being too confident is poison to a Christian because God can say something as simple as DON’T EAT THE FRUIT OF
THAT TREE. Yet, that simple unambiguous statement can be made incredibly complex by subtlety. My experience tells me that sin puts one on a instant guilt trip. It makes us think stupider and stupider. As Proverbs says - the wicked flee when no one pursues. God said - Adam; where are you? And Adam is trying to hide himself from God. Sin has screwed up his thinking so badly that Adam is thinking he can hide from God. That’s pretty pathetic. St. Francis I think was a clear thinking an individual as we’re going to find. He said at the end of his holy life – I’M JUST BEGINNING. All that He did up to that point he considered as not much. Dumb us – We think St. Francis is demonstrating humility. I say perhaps NOT. Maybe St. Francis is demonstrating TRUTH. TRUTH was his holiness and the truth was exactly the sentiments of St. Peter who, I’m sure through his personal experience at being a Christian was --** that the righteous will scarcely be saved.**
This is the great part about being Catholic. Because we walk on the shoulders of midgets. Midgets who really knew they were midgets and in their smallness God made them GIANTS. Being a Christian puts us on the path of smallness. While we’re on that path statements of scripture seem ambiguous because we’re too big. We can’t fit through the door. We’re too broad and the door is narrow. The greatest saints saw the TRUTH of their smallness and God made them great. To me the greatness of God was most profoundly manifest in his smallness when scripture reveals —
(Phil 2:6-9) Jesus, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Jesus is the WAY. The way to greatness is to understand the truth of our smallness – my goodness – look at what we are in comparison to the universe. The the great God has an interest in US who are less that a speck of nothingness in the vastness of the universe. What did Satan do to us? He has made up stark raving mad. Being a Christian is very counter intuitive. It takes real faith, a real gift of God, to believe His word - that He was going to build a Church through a man like St. Peter (but someone who had an uncanny counter intuitive idea that the righteous are barely going to make it) and because of that faith - faith that His eyes saw in the man before him one day in Ceserea Phillipi - YOU are the Christ, the Son of the Living God – Jesus could perceive in this man one who REALLY GOT IT!! and one who He could say I’m going to build a Church through YOU and the gates of hell won’t prevail against it. St. Peter saw TRUTH – the truth of who he was and the truth of who was before Him. Clear thinking saved him and there wasn’t anything ambiguous about it.
MonFrere