Washington Post settles Nicholas Sandmann defamation lawsuit in Covington Catholic High School controversy

  • Thread starter Thread starter KMC
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those in leadership should protect their followers, instead of cravenly offering them as sacrifice to appease the mob of non-believers. That course of action is the exact opposite of Jesus Christ.
 
A boy was unfairly maligned for no reason.
I agree with your post except this. There was a reason he was maligned, just not a good reason. People who support the killing of totally helpless human beings cannot tolerate disagreement from an adolescent who stands up for himself even a little bit. The young are our future, and only their view of the future can be tolerated. Thanks be to God that Nick’s parents did not choose to abort him.
 
What really impresses me is that Mr. Sandman was an adolescent (a high school student) at the time in which he went to Washington to participate in the March for Life.
After the settlement Sandman tweeted this:

On 2/19/19, I filed $250M defamation lawsuit against Washington Post. Today, I turned 18 & WaPo settled my lawsuit.

On its face that appears to be more than a coincidence, but I certainly don’t know one way or the other. I am curious all the same about whether the settlement was in any way connected to his age.
 
He remained so calm, while another group shouted insults at he and his classmates and smiling even as a person moved in on him, banging a drum in his face.
There’s a difference between a smirk and a smile. If I were in high school with him, we would have met on the way home!
Tell me again why you are being such a buzzkill instead of saying “I am glad for him.”
I think he had no legal claim to recovery.
 
If I were in high school with him, we would have met on the way home!
What the heck is that supposed to mean? Some kind of threat? Tough guy talk like that on the internet only makes the poster seem kinda beta.
 
What the heck is that supposed to mean? Some kind of threat? Tough guy talk like that on the internet only makes the poster seem kinda beta.
Simple fact of life and a historical allusion. Many folks met me, too. It was a learning experience.

In my sermon to highschoolers on career day, I always inform them that the guy we called ‘Weasel’ in high school and hung out of the window is now a doctor married to a doctor. So who got the last laugh?
 
Last edited:
Charity is one of the three theological virtues. I’ve always appreciated the way Mr. Sandman strove to interpret the actions of those who approached him at the bus stop in a charitable manner and to respond in a manner consistent with the calls of our faith-to care for those who persecute us.
This seems a good time to revisit his experience that day. Here are some quotes from his statement, but the entire article is well worth a reread as one ponders the charity and self-restraint of a teen-ager facing hostility.


"The protestors said hateful things. They called us “racists,” “bigots,” “white crackers,” “faggots,” and “incest kids.” They also taunted an African American student from my school by telling him that we would “harvest his organs.” I have no idea what that insult means, but it was startling to hear. "
I never understood why either of the two groups of protestors were engaging with us, or exactly what they were protesting at the Lincoln Memorial. We were simply there to meet a bus, not become central players in a media spectacle. This is the first time in my life I’ve ever encountered any sort of public protest, let alone this kind of confrontation or demonstration.
"I was not intentionally making faces at the protestor. I did smile at one point because I wanted him to know that I was not going to become angry, intimidated or be provoked into a larger confrontation. I am a faithful Christian and practicing Catholic, and I always try to live up to the ideals my faith teaches me – to remain respectful of others, and to take no action that would lead to conflict or violence.
“I harbor no ill will for this person. I respect this person’s right to protest and engage in free speech activities, and I support his chanting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial any day of the week.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top