S
Sarabande
Guest
It’s also very nice of you and your fiance to give gifts to your wedding party. That seems to be the usual for almost every wedding I’ve been a part of, including my own. Traditionally, at least from what I’ve read and how the practice is done in my area, the couple will present gifts to their wedding party on the day/night of the rehearsal and the parents of the groom will host the rehearsal dinner, so they are often considered separate from each other. Of course, there are variations, especially as you have mentioned that both of your parents are now deceased. If you feel that you cannot afford to give a full-fledged dinner, then maybe do what your parents did for your brother’s rehearsal dinner… have a little reception with hors d’oeuvres and beverages at your home or someone’s home which would be large enough to accommodate your wedding party. And if you can’t do that, then just don’t have anything at all. Present your gifts to the party at the rehearsal. I think most people wouldn’t be offended. I know I wouldn’t. People are on tight budgets these days. The only ones I know of, personally, who would be offended are those who are sticklers for “etiquette” and believe that things should always be a certain way. From dealing with my own wedding and now my sister’s which is coming up in a few months… many younger people have no clue about etiquette from RSVP’ing on time to knowing that you don’t bring along additional people who weren’t invited to the wedding, among many other etiquette no-no’s. We kept telling my mother that you have to spell things out on invitations and response cards nowadays. She insisted that people would know better (she’s a stickler for etiquette). Then the response cards rolled in… This was one time that Mom was not always right. lol!Wedding planning is something definitely not my forte. The last wedding I attended was June 1994. The last wedding that I was a part of was my older Brother and that was 1984. At that time there was no rehearsal dinner, but a small reception after the rehearsal at my parent’s home.
People are saying that the dinner is a courtesy on our part to the people part of the wedding party. Just for the record, we are already giving small gifts to each person in the Wedding party over and above any reherasal dinner.
Links for nice Wedding program covers?
In regards to program covers: I have a whole file folder of them from weddings that I’ve done through the years. I keep them to give to future bridal couples when looking for formats, etc. In my opinion (just an opinion) I find that the most simple program covers are the most elegant. It is usually just something with a lovely script font. Sometimes, it will include a monogram of the couple’s married last name. Some might also include a simple design.