Wedding Suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter JMJSHJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JMJSHJ

Guest
I am getting married to the most beautiful lady on August 25, 2012 and with my parents looking down on us from Heaven as well as her Dad, we are looking for ideas on how to have an inexpensive wedding that still retains some festiveness or elegance.

Please share with everyone here your great ideas for the wedding Mass, reception and honeymoon.
 
Congratulations!

Depending on your Diocese, Catholic Weddings can be quite expensive. My husband and I found that it was much cheaper to have the wedding in the chapel than in the main church (The fee was considerably different. 400 versus 1,000 just to use the Church for less than an hour :()

Also, hiring minimal musicians for the Mass will cut costs. We had just one vocalist and a piano player.

If anyone has land or a large house you can use for the event, those can be some of the most genuine feeling wedding receptions around. It lacks a lot of the pomp and ridiculous pageantry of so many ballroom style weddings. People feel a little more relaxed and comfortable. You end up throwing a way better party that people stay to enjoy.

Your MP3 player can be your best friend when it comes to music for the reception. Either use speakers you have or rent stereo equipment which is still cheaper than a band or DJ. Making a playlist for the reception was one of the things I really enjoyed in preparing for our wedding.

Honeymoon ideas? Well I guess it depends on what you like. My husband and I went on a roadtrip together. We had some cities we wanted to visit and a few ideas for sight seeing, but mostly winged it and had such a great time. We stayed where we wanted for however long we thought was best. Very very loose iteneraries are the way to go. I didn’t want to fly because I was being a freak about the body scanners. Our roadtrip from Texas through Memphis, Nashville, Chatanooga and then back in a different direction was so fun. Two music cities full of talented musicians and fun night life, and one beautiful scenic city full of traditional roadtrip sites (See Rock City!).
 
Make your own flowers/bouquets. It is infinitely cheaper to go to Michels/Joanns and buy fake flowers and put them together yourself than to get real. I purchased the bridal bouquet and that was over $100. But we got all the flowers/leaves/wire/ribbon/green tape to make the 4 bouquets and dozen or so boutonnieres for closer to $70.

Make your own invitations. You can buy sets of invitations for $15 to $20 a piece, (I think we purchased 3 for 150 guests. Then you design and print them your self.

Limit the bridesmaids/groomsmen to just a few. Maybe make use of personal assistants for the bride instead of all the bridesmaids. (I had 3 bridesmaids and 1 junior bridesmaid, and 3 groomsmen). We also used younger cousins as ushers/hand out programs, instead of having men rent a tux. This will be cheaper for your friends and save you on incidentals (like food). I had two personal assistants, and one did my dress and the other did my make up and hair, so no salon fees. 👍

We were able to utilize the flowers and decorations inside the church and thus did not purchase any decorations or flowers for church itself. I thought it was still a very elegant wedding.

As for the reception, I would say shop around!!! We found that hotels are expensive places to have a wedding reception. We found a hall, that came with its own decorations, with a minimum decorations provided for no cost. It was a nice looking hall on its own, which was nice, so it wasn’t gym or plain hall. Its food was also decent and the cheapest in the area.

Prioritize what is important. To me flowers were not important, so we didn’t spend a lot on them. In contrast we spend more on our Church music because it was important to me. (Approximately $300 on music, but we utilized a family member as one of our singers. $150 on the music coordinator $75 a piece on one male singer, and one violinist. These were the rules of our church, however, our violinist was a highschooler who occasionally played for Mass, so without these rules it could have been cheaper. The coordinator commented that the music at my wedding was one of the best she has ever been involved in). Which reminds me, if you are looking for cheaper musicians you could try the local highschool/college for instrumentalists or singers.

The dress ended up being important to me, even though I didn’t think it would be. It ended up being more expensive that I thought. So you might want to put a little buffer in the budget for something that comes up, or becomes more important that you originally thought.

Photos, find a photographer that will give you the rights to your photos. We own ours in electronic form (cd and they are all on my “other” computer, or I would post a sample) and it was so much cheaper than a more traditional wedding package. We are able to print photos as we want them/can afford them. Some photos I am very glad we have, but are not really ones I would have wanted to pay for as prints with my original photo package.

Congrats on your engagement. Don’t make the planning too stressful.

ETA: If you have a Friday evening wedding rather than a Saturday wedding you can probably save $1000 or more, on the church and reception hall alone.
 
Congratulations on your upcoming marriage! Since you already have the date set, I assume you have the price for any costs you’ll incur at your parish for using the premises.

You’ve already had some great ideas, here are a couple more.
  1. Pare down the guest list to the most important people. Better to have 25-50 of your closest family and friends and be able to host a reception than to have 200 and be stressed over finances.
  2. Consider getting a smaller cake for “show”, and having a sheet cake made in the same flavors that can be sliced and served behind the scenes.
  3. Make your own favors/ flowers/ decorations for the tables at the reception.
  4. Host a mid-day reception (tea and cake only) rather than a meal.
  5. Think of which family and friends you have that could help with things. Someone to play DJ? Another that would give you a discount to take photographs? You might even check local colleges to see if a student is looking to build their portfolio, and would give you discounted rates.
  6. Look for discounts on dresses from Craigslist rather than spending huge amounts on a dress for one day… there are great discounts to be hand.
  7. Our parish has a wedding coordinator who can help with suggestions specific to our church, you might check and see if there is a similar service available to you.
  8. Honeymoons-- start scoping out the discount travel sites to get a feel for available discounts. Some hotels have discounts just for signing up on their sites. Try Holiday Inn and Marriott to name two.
 
I am getting married to the most beautiful lady on August 25, 2012 and with my parents looking down on us from Heaven as well as her Dad, we are looking for ideas on how to have an inexpensive wedding that still retains some festiveness or elegance.

Please share with everyone here your great ideas for the wedding Mass, reception and honeymoon.
My husband and I were married for less than 500 USD.

My clothes = $0
I wore the nicest dress and pair of shoes that were already in my closet,

My husband’s clothes = $0
He wore a suit he already owned with his best dress shirt and tie.

Photographer = $0
Mother-in-law used her camera, and we’ve got fabulous pictures.

Church = $275
We were married at our parish’s Friday morning Mass. It was wonderful to be married in our Catholic community surrounded by our fellow parishioners. Plus, there were no musicians, servers, etc. to tip (that’s not why we we got married in a weekday Mass, but it was to our financial benefit!). The use of the church was $200, and the $75 was for the pre-cana class.

Flowers = $0
The altar flowers were enough for us.

Wedding cake = $100
We did splurge on a cake because I fell in love with one I found on the Internet and wanted it replicated. It was small, but it was beautiful. We ate our fill, froze a small slice for our first anniversary, and drove the rest to the rectory that afternoon for the office staff and priests to enjoy.

Reception = $25
We invited five people to our wedding, and afterwards my mother-in-law had everyone around for coffee and cake. My in-laws bought a mini-bottle of sparkling wine for the toast, and between that and the coffee, napkins, etc. I’d say we spent around $25. Our best friends took everyone out to lunch afterwards as their gift to us.

Rings = $100
We found lovely pair of tungsten rings online. Years later they look as new as when they arrived in the mail.

I understand an ultra-cheap wedding isn’t for everyone, but it had sooooo many advantages and I would do it again this way in a heartbeat. We’ve got absolutely no regrets. There was minimal stress, we weren’t emotionally and financially exhausted at the end of the day, and we could focus our time and energy on working towards becoming a married couple in the weeks and months leading up to the wedding instead of planning for what’s essentially a lavish party.

Luna
 
Make your own flowers/bouquets. It is infinitely cheaper to go to Michels/Joanns and buy fake flowers and put them together yourself than to get real. I purchased the bridal bouquet and that was over $100. But we got all the flowers/leaves/wire/ribbon/green tape to make the 4 bouquets and dozen or so boutonnieres for closer to $70. .
This is good advice. Also, if your church has rules about real flowers, some do for liturgical reasons, ordering fresh flowers wholesale online can be very cheap as long as you time it right.
Photos, find a photographer that will give you the rights to your photos. We own ours in electronic form (cd and they are all on my “other” computer, or I would post a sample) and it was so much cheaper than a more traditional wedding package. We are able to print photos as we want them/can afford them. Some photos I am very glad we have, but are not really ones I would have wanted to pay for as prints with my original photo package. .
I agree, you definitely want to right to do what you want with the photos. Uncles, Cousins, and Friends with nice cameras or photography hobbies works awesomely if they are talented and you are trying to save money. I was lucky I had two uncles and two cousins who are really talented just walking around snapping photos. I didn’t realize that all of them were, I knew one uncle was. It was their wedding gift to us.
 
Congratulations on getting married! You’ve already gotten some great suggestions.

Do you know anyone who could help out with things like set up, pictures, etc? I am good friends with the music director at my parish, and when I got married, she and her husband did the music free of charge as their gift to us. We had a similar setup for our photographer. Do you have any tech-friendly friends who could act as a DJ?

We had our reception at our parish school cafeteria, which saved lots of money. We paid the altar society ladies to do the serving for us. Their fee was much lower than hiring a catering service. My family and inlaws did all the setup and cleanup. We also put together our own flower arrangements.

Also, limiting the number of bridesmaids and groomsmen helps. We had 2 each at my wedding. Also, you don’t have to get expensive tuxes and gowns. Nice dresses and suits that they may already own can look lovely.
 
  1. Consider getting a smaller cake for “show”, and having a sheet cake made in the same flavors that can be sliced and served behind the scenes.
.
ooh, this is a good one. We had about 120 guests, and it would have been expensive to get a cake to feed them all. So we got a relatively small wedding cake and then sheet cakes to feed everyone else. The cake people can tell you exactly how much the cake you order will feed.
(Also you might want to price out cupcakes to see if they are cheaper).
 
My husband and I were married for less than 500 USD.

My clothes = $0
I wore the nicest dress and pair of shoes that were already in my closet,

My husband’s clothes = $0
He wore a suit he already owned with his best dress shirt and tie.

Photographer = $0
Mother-in-law used her camera, and we’ve got fabulous pictures.

Church = $275
We were married at our parish’s Friday morning Mass. It was wonderful to be married in our Catholic community surrounded by our fellow parishioners. Plus, there were no musicians, servers, etc. to tip (that’s not why we we got married in a weekday Mass, but it was to our financial benefit!). The use of the church was $200, and the $75 was for the pre-cana class.

Flowers = $0
The altar flowers were enough for us.

Wedding cake = $100
We did splurge on a cake because I fell in love with one I found on the Internet and wanted it replicated. It was small, but it was beautiful. We ate our fill, froze a small slice for our first anniversary, and drove the rest to the rectory that afternoon for the office staff and priests to enjoy.

Reception = $25
We invited five people to our wedding, and afterwards my mother-in-law had everyone around for coffee and cake. My in-laws bought a mini-bottle of sparkling wine for the toast, and between that and the coffee, napkins, etc. I’d say we spent around $25. Our best friends took everyone out to lunch afterwards as their gift to us.

Rings = $100
We found lovely pair of tungsten rings online. Years later they look as new as when they arrived in the mail.

I understand an ultra-cheap wedding isn’t for everyone, but it had sooooo many advantages and I would do it again this way in a heartbeat. We’ve got absolutely no regrets. There was minimal stress, we weren’t emotionally and financially exhausted at the end of the day, and we could focus our time and energy on working towards becoming a married couple in the weeks and months leading up to the wedding instead of planning for what’s essentially a lavish party.

Luna
I second this approach. Our wedding was similar. Somewhat more expensive, because I had a wedding dress and my huhsband purchased a new suit. We invited closest family only, and treated everybody for lunch and desserts at a nearby restaurant (we made a reservation before as there were about 20 of us, but they did not know it was for a wedding party). Everybody ordered what they liked to eat and drink, so all were happy with the food. No stress with printing wedding invitations, flowers, cakes, reception, musicians, menu… My father took pictures and my sisters in law took care of my hair. It was wonderful! Everybody had a good time and we were as relaxed and stress free as it gets on a wedding day. I would do it the same way in a heartbeat.
 
I didn’t read the other posts, so pardon any repeats:
  1. Keep a small guest list (if possible). Some people have large, very close families so I know that this can’t always happen.
  2. If your parish permits it, see if you can get married during a regular Sunday/Saturday Vigil mass. (Many of the parishes where I freelance don’t permit weddings during the regularly scheduled mass, but you can try.) I’ve heard that you will often not be charged the regular wedding fee since it would be during a scheduled mass. Where I live, it is very typical to pay from $500 to $2000 depending on the parish. The parishes where I work, for example, charge between $800-$1000 for use of the church, clean-up, heating/cooling, etc. You more than likely won’t get to walk down the aisle and won’t choose your own readings/music, but you would be saving yourselves a lot of money.
  3. Do your own flowers or see if a no-frills nursery has an on-staff person to do flowers. My sister recently got engaged and we will be going to a wholesale place to get the flowers and a couple very artistic cousins of ours will be doing the arrangements. When I got married, we used a nursery owned by my best friend’s family. They did a beautiful job and we paid a fraction of the price that a fancy florist would charge. Keep the arrangements and bouquets simple and use flowers in the season so that you keep the cost down.
  4. Try ebay or craigslist to get your gown or dresses. My sister-in-law bought a couture wedding gown for $90 bucks (originally in the $1000s) on ebay. Actually, she bought two since they were so cheap and then just resold the one she decided against wearing. She paid some money for the alterations, but it was dirt cheap and she got a gorgeous, high quality gown out of it.
  5. Skip the favors. It’s apparently the trend, now, not to provide favors because most people don’t care about them and it’s just a waste of money.
  6. See if you can get married during the week rather than on a weekend. You can sometimes get a nice discount from vendors by getting married during a weekday. A Friday or Sunday wedding can also provide a discount, as well as getting married during off-peak months.
  7. For receptions, find a place that is all-inclusive. When doing research and pricing for my wedding, I found some of the seemingly affordable places ended up being much more costly because it wasn’t all-inclusive. Also, if you are thinking about having a reception at a family home/property, really do as much pricing as you can with everything needed for rental. You sometimes can end up spending much more for a home reception than one at a restaurant or hall because of the rental fees, caterer fees and hidden costs. So research, research, research!!!
  8. If you are allowed to hire outside musicians, check out universities with music schools. You can sometimes get very good talent for a bit less than professional musicians. Experience in liturgy, though, is always a plus.
Also, unless quality of musicianship isn’t a concern or priority, make sure you are getting somebody worthwhile. If the parish organist is a hack, but you have to use them or pay a bench fee, it might be worth paying the bench fee and just hire an outside organist or other instrumentalist.
  1. Hire a photographer for just the ceremony and the formal photos, if possible, and then let your family and friends take pictures during the reception. Or hire just a photographer and don’t hire a videographer. Just have a family member or friend who you trust record the wedding and the reception.
  2. Forgot one more thing with flowers… some brides, if they are getting married on the same day at the same church, will split the costs of the flower arrangements and other church decor at the church. That can save a boatload of money. I’ve seen it a few times.
Always remember that for some things you do get what you pay for, so see what is more of a priority (besides the actual sacrament and liturgy, of course) and allocate money accordingly.
 
I was married four years ago. We never set a real budget, we just wanted enough left over to start our marriage in our own home. I don’t remember how much the total bill came to but we were both surprised and excited that it did not cost as much as we thought it would. My mother bought my wedding dress and my husband rented his tux. His parents helped a lot with paying for the ceremony decor. My step-sister is a wonderful photographer and granted us a discount. We kept our ceremony music small and didn’t ask for much from the musicians And our guest list was relatively small.
 
My advise-
Wedding Gown - Get the wedding gown from either Ebay (I had a roommate who found one and didn’t even need alterations. Since it was used, the style was much more modest) or order a modest one online. latterdaybride.com has a good selection of modest wedding gowns. Eternitygowns.com you have to get from a store. I got my dress from them, but drove two hours to a retailer that carried the brand. If the store carries “Bonny”, Bonny has a Bliss collection for modest brides. Unforunately unless you live near an area with tons of Mormons, finding an actual modest gown to try on is nearly impossible. I’d suggest reading up online on cuts that fit the brides body type. The bride can then just go to David’s Bridal and try on dresses that are very simple in the cuts that seem to be recommended for her figure. When she finds a cut she likes, she can then look online for dresses of that cut. My mom thought I was crazy for doing it that way, but my gown was perfect!

Bridesmaids dresses - STAY AWAY FROM BRIDAL SHOPS. They make their money off of alterations. They require you to order dresses super in advance. If anything goes wrong (wrong size ordered) it can only be fixed in alterations as there is no way to return and reorder in a reasonable time for a wedding. Some shops can be really manipulative to force alteration costs on bridesmaids. I’d recommend just going to JCPenny’s and having the bridesmaids order the same cocktail dress. This one is $50 jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1bf4401&DeptID=70656&CatID=80145&SO=0&SelDim=4294957900%7e&CatSel=4294936938%7cevening+%2b+cocktail&NOffset=2&Ne=4294957900+1490+1031+29+3+8+585&x5view=1&shopperType=G&N=4294936938&Nao=42&PSO=0&bcCat=3&CmCatId=70656|80145&sa=1
Plus the girls will be more appreciative that they can actually wear the dress on another occassion.

Groomsmen - buying the same suit say from JCPenny may be about the same price as renting a tuxedo. I’m just saying

Flowers - Stick with easy to find flowers in an easy to find color. Red roses are easy. Go to a grocery store, pick them up the morning of the wedding and you’ve got it. A friend of mine had all her bridesmaids carry just one red rose while she carried a bouquet of roses.

Photos - If you have a friend whose good with a camera, have the friend take pictures. I found a very cheap photographer to do my wedding and it was a complete rip off. I thought it was silly to have wedding photos look like they came from a magazine. I thought that was the explaination for the insane photography prices. But I still thought someone who was somewhat professional would be better than a friend. Nope. My best picture was taken by a bridesmaid, and it was months before I got my photos from the woman who did this whole thing as a side business. So just realize with wedding photographer there are only two reasonable choices: spending over $1200 for basic wedding photos (that’s probably the least expensive you can get) or having a friends send you digital copies. Anyone who says “I’ll do it for $700” is not going to be worth that $700.

Reception - My best advise is to skip it. If you have a reception, try Church halls and go the easiest route. Do not just think cheap. I would not recommend a do-it-yourself reception. If they offer decoration rentals and have people doing the decorating, go with least expensive package and go with the flow. Do not try to force them to acheive your ultimate cheap dream. They will not know how to compensate and will hassle you throughout the reception and stress you out as they did me. My reception was beautiful and inexpensive (though it looked expensive), but it was very stressful.

Honeymoon - Find a local bed and breakfast and stay there more than one night. You’ll actually enjoy the bed and breakfast more. You can also make it a tradition to stay again on your anniversaries. Make sure you tour the local bed and breakfasts first before making your pick. Pictures can be deceiving and you’ll be choosing which room you’ll be staying in.

A lot can be done to save costs. I had a beautiful wedding complete with a DJ, a decked out wedding chapel, a Latin Mass (low because my schola fell through last minute), and personalized invitations and everything. My wedding cost me less than $8,000 when the average amount spent on a wedding today is about $20,000. A lot of the do it yourself stuff through just gave me a ton of work to do. Some of my ideas saved money but added lots of stress.
 
Great ideas!

I hope my wedding is done tasefully, cheaply and small.

I found a wedding dress I like on a discount site. It seems legit and I can get the alterations done by a friend. Its $120.

My brother can double as alter server & DJ. I’ll pay him and pay for his hotel. So $300ish

I love the idea of a friday wedding…weekends are too short anyway. Friday afternoon sounds splendid.

Did anyone do pew bows? I’ve always dreamed of them MUCH more than flowers. Even that wide shiny ribbon can get expensive but I think it’s worth it.

Anyone get married at not their parish? I would like to get married at a small stone church. Also, what did you do if you were moving. I am 45 mins from my FH and his house and if all else fails like the church in my town. (geographic parish). I like one priest in particular but dislike the others.

My goal is 25-30 adult guests, 5-8 kid guests (including babies), and 1 bridesmaid, 1 bestman.
 
Get a list of all the stuff weddings entail now days. Go through it and eliminate all of the stuff you don’t care about, don’t want, don’t need. The smaller you keep your ceremony, the better. The party isn’t the most important part, what matters is your vows before God. Our society gets this wrong as with so many other things…People spend all their time pre-marriage planning a giant extravaganza, hoping the good feelings they get from that day will carry them through the rest of their lives, I guess. Nope! Not even if you have the best of everything will you be able to get through your first real argument by looking at those wedding photos…

:rolleyes:
 
Honeymoon: check VRBO (Vacation Rental By Owner) on internet and look for areas that are off season. Rates are much cheaper. Also use discount sites for rooms. Pick area and go for 4 star put low bid in you can always raise it. You can get great deals.

Centerpieces: Mums should be in season in August. Buy potted ones, wrap base, use as table favor allowing a guest to take it home.

Reception: Everyone at church invited to church hall for champagne and wedding cake. Have a pianist and table with cheeses and canapes. At end of two hours, leave for honeymoon OR leave and later meet with a small group of family and friends for intimate dinner.

Have morning wedding on Friday followed by brunch with quiche, fruit, breakfast rolls etc. and champagne and cake. Hire pianist.

Photos: Get a photographer. And provide each table with throw away cameras so guests can take candid shot which they leave for you to develop.

Invitations: Get good quality paper and have printer do it. Get stamps with your pictures on them and silver seals for back or use sealing wax. Yes, you must include reception card with return postage but you are not having that many so just do it.

Favors: get small inexpensive silver frames try thrift shops, dollar stores, or fav shop like TJ Maxx. They don’t have to match. Put names of guest inside with table #.

Thank you notes: Picture of guests at wedding cut to size of above frames used as front of thank-you. Or do same but with your wedding picture.

Clothers: dark suit for you with flower in lapel. Bride can find great discounts expecially in sample gowns.
 
I’m liking the idea of a lunchtime reciption…perhaps in the church hall. But I have my heart set on my first dance with my FH…did anyone who did a not-full-reception have the traditional “dances”?
 
I’m liking the idea of a lunchtime reciption…perhaps in the church hall. But I have my heart set on my first dance with my FH…did anyone who did a not-full-reception have the traditional “dances”?
Not sure how you would work that into a lunchtime reception…I think you have to make choices…If dancing is important perhaps you can cut other corners…Or save it for your honeymoon…

🙂
 
I had friends who had a reception in the parish hall. There was enough room for dancing, depending on how you set up the tables. Ask beforehand, though, because there are some very weird music licensing hassles that you don’t want to drag the parish into.

If you go to a restaurant or bar with a dance floor, even if all their music is just a jukebox, you can always have a few songs for your benefit. (Albeit it’s also more polite to arrange this beforehand, if you want something over their sound system and not just coming from their jukebox. And if it is a jukebox, you’ll need somebody to guard the song selection from other patrons or your more mischievous guests. Heh.)
 
Good news is my brother is lisenced to perform music & dj. So lisencing shouldnt be an issue.

Luncheon also solves the problem of alcohol…I am afraid of the alcoholic tendencies of several guests. I know that most would respect the early hour 12 or 1 or 2 more than anything else. That way it dosnt have to be dry…which I dont want, either.
 
I’ve remembered one more bit of advice: when you order your wedding cake** DO NOT tell the bakery that it’s for a wedding**. Maybe it’s just in our area, but when bakeries found out we wanted a wedding cake, it was no longer a matter of just ordering a confection. No, we had to set up a “tasting appointment” ($50), we were encouraged to select “wedding flavors” (for a surcharge), and the bakeries wanted to charge us so many cents per mile to transport the cake and a “set up” fee (again, another $50). And, my friends, we just wanted a sheet cake that fed 10-12 people. Wedding cakes are a racket! (No disrespect to any bakers or wedding cake makers out there, but sheesh!)

In the end we went with a bakery that came recommended from friends. I printed out a picture of the cake I fell in love with. We went to the bakery on a Saturday morning, showed them the picture, and asked if they could do something like that. When they asked what the cake was for we told them it was for a “gathering.” 😉 When we chose the flavors we stayed away from ones like “wedding while” and “matrimonial marzipan” lest they became suspicious. On the day of the wedding my husband and his best friend picked it up and brought it to my in-laws’ house.

I say we saved right around $125 by leaving out the word “wedding” from our conversations with the baker.

Luna
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top