Wedding Suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter JMJSHJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the proper way to address Wedding invitation envelopes for couples and people in the following situations:

Couple:
Husband: Dan Smith
Wife: Sheila O’Grady

Mr. Dan Smith and Sheila O’Grady
123 Any Street

Widowed:

Mrs. Lisa Robinson

or

Lisa Robinson
I think legally Shelia is Mrs. Smith so I’d write it Mr. and Mrs. Dan Smith

Lisa deserves a title which would be Mrs.
 
My fiancee’s wedding dress has arrived! Where can you get a special garment bag with hanger for it? Is there a special name for this garment bag to store it in until the Wedding and obviously afterwards?
 
What is the proper way to address Wedding invitation envelopes for couples and people in the following situations:

Couple:
Husband: Dan Smith
Wife: Sheila O’Grady

Mr. Dan Smith and Sheila O’Grady
123 Any Street

Widowed:

Mrs. Lisa Robinson

or

Lisa Robinson
As for the first, it would depend on how well you know them. If they were somewhat distant I think the correct form is.
Mr. Dan Smith and Mrs.(Ms.) Sheila O’Grady
I have an aunt who kept her maiden name professionally. So in addressing envelopes we just wrote: Mr. and Mrs. Dan Smith. Or Dan and Sheila Smith. But we were rather close and knew she didn’t mind.

As for the second example she needs a title. You can play is safe or pc and use Ms. or you can go traditional and use Mrs. Either one is acceptable.
 
Quick question for those who have been to a wedding in the last 5-10 years: When you sit down for dinner, do you have arranged seating or just let people decide on their own? I am inclining towards assigned seating as some people that are coming don’t know anyone else but me and I don’t want them sitting by themselves.
We’ve had two daughters married in the last 8 years, with about 250 people at each reception (one of them in our beautiful new parish community center). We had assigned tables for each reception, and place cards with table #s on them. We put a good deal of time into assigning tables, and tried to seat people with others who would be compatible. Folks seemed to have a really good time, so I guess it was worth the effort!
 
I’m not sure if this will be helpful to anyone reading this thread or not, but I thought I would throw it out there. I saw someone mention purchasing disposable cameras and putting them out for guests to snap pictures on and then developing them later. This can actually get pretty costly, pretty quickly.

First of all, if you want the majority of the pictures to turn out, you aren’t going to be able to use the cheap-o cameras that most places sell in bulk specifically for this purpose. (I work in a photo lab, and have people drop these off quite often. They are actually recycled cameras, and generally don’t take decent photographs, ESPECIALLY in low light or with background light.) So if you pay a little extra for the decent disposables, that ups the cost considerably, depending on the number of cameras you’ll want.

Aside from that, developing prices continue to rise as 35mm cameras are increasingly replaced by digital. Many places won’t do it at all anymore, or only offer it as a send out service (where you risk your memories being lost in the mail.) But even those who do offer it are going to charge prices that are, in my opinion, far too high for what it actually costs to run a roll through a machine.

And then, there is also the consideration to be taken, aside from costs and whether or not the shots will actually turn out, what kinds of photos will you get? Important memories from your wedding, or 27 pictures taken of the ground and people’s shins by a five year old?

These are just things to consider. 🙂 Thanks for reading.
 
We are about to print off the wedding invites but there is something I need to know: What is the best way to specify how to limit the number of people on each invite? e.g. We have allocated 8 people for my sister but I don’t want her to stretch it to 10.
I’ve seen on response cards wording like, “X number of seats have been reserved in your honour.” Then “____ out of X guests will attend.”

The other invitation etiquette that is often used is to place the names of those invited on the invitation, but I’ve found that more and more people are becoming less familiar with “etiquette” and will completely ignore this and even when you spell it out on the response cards like in the above response.
 
We didn’t have a lot of money when we got married and were not about to get into debt in order to get married. I wore a beautiful dress that I had back in college. We had a discount on our church wedding because my mother-in-law volunteered there. Someone donated flowers. We made tamales the day before to serve and bought a simple cake at Costco. We bought a pinata for everyone to break and that was a lot of fun. We had the reception at my in-laws house because it was big enough to accomodate everyone. We got a discount on the hotel where we stayed at our honeymoon. Everything worked out well and we are so glad we did not splurge too much on our wedding.
 
I’m not sure if this will be helpful to anyone reading this thread or not, but I thought I would throw it out there. I saw someone mention purchasing disposable cameras and putting them out for guests to snap pictures on and then developing them later. This can actually get pretty costly, pretty quickly.

First of all, if you want the majority of the pictures to turn out, you aren’t going to be able to use the cheap-o cameras that most places sell in bulk specifically for this purpose. (I work in a photo lab, and have people drop these off quite often. They are actually recycled cameras, and generally don’t take decent photographs, ESPECIALLY in low light or with background light.) So if you pay a little extra for the decent disposables, that ups the cost considerably, depending on the number of cameras you’ll want.

Aside from that, developing prices continue to rise as 35mm cameras are increasingly replaced by digital. Many places won’t do it at all anymore, or only offer it as a send out service (where you risk your memories being lost in the mail.) But even those who do offer it are going to charge prices that are, in my opinion, far too high for what it actually costs to run a roll through a machine.

And then, there is also the consideration to be taken, aside from costs and whether or not the shots will actually turn out, what kinds of photos will you get? Important memories from your wedding, or 27 pictures taken of the ground and people’s shins by a five year old?

These are just things to consider. 🙂 Thanks for reading.
Maybe things have changed since I got married 14 years ago. BUT, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pics of our wedding from the disposable cameras we put on the table. It gave us a unique perspective on what our guests wanted to capture for us on our special day. Yes, we did get a couple of inappropriate shots from the adult guests. The pics by the kids, were actually cute. I am sooooo glad we were able to have this option at our wedding. Just my two cents.
 
Maybe things have changed since I got married 14 years ago. BUT, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pics of our wedding from the disposable cameras we put on the table. It gave us a unique perspective on what our guests wanted to capture for us on our special day. Yes, we did get a couple of inappropriate shots from the adult guests. The pics by the kids, were actually cute. I am sooooo glad we were able to have this option at our wedding. Just my two cents.
Maybe people could have a combination? Leave a couple disposable cameras to get unique shots and aska friend/relative who is good at taking pictures to take some more traditional photos at the wedding as well? They don’t have to be professionals to get decent photos that will bring back wonderful memories. 🙂
 
I wasn’t expecting to post about this but since you have been so helpful, perhaps some fresh perspective can help.

The other night I called my older sister up to let her know what the plans are and to find out what her and her husband’s favorite song is to dance to. I have the idea that every married couple should hear “their” favorite song as I feel that a wedding is somewhat about the guests too to a certain extent.

Early on I could tell that she was feeling mad at me with some sniping at me but near the end of the call it got downright vicious. For starters we are both 42 years of age and being faithful Catholic still hope that possibly we could have a child(ren) of our own. We are also open for adoption. To my sister, it is very wrong for us to try to conceive for a child as my soon to be wife will be having miscarriages every month, no check that, every 3 months.

We had also asked if 1 of her 2 daughters would agree to be a bridesmaid. My fiancee has 2 others chosen and to me that is something that is entirely up to her. To my sister it was wrong to just ask one, both should be asked. My sister is a floral designer but lives 3 hours away by car and we were looking at centre pieces using stuff from the dollar store. While my sister is a floral designer, she currently doesn’t work in any florist shop.
My sister is also mad that we didn’t ask her to have a bridal shower. Well its not something we feel that we should ask of someone as there is a quite a bit of work and where she lives nobody would come as its too far away.

My brother, sister and I were all adopted and my sister has made contact with her natural mother and her kids. Apparently her brother is also getting married the same day as us and I can’t help but feel that she would rather go there than come to mine. While I would like for her to be there, if she really doesn’t want to come, I want to find out soon so that a replacement for my niece as a bridesmaid can be made. The wedding is 3 months away as of this Friday.

Does my sister have some valid points?
 
I wasn’t expecting to post about this but since you have been so helpful, perhaps some fresh perspective can help.

The other night I called my older sister up to let her know what the plans are and to find out what her and her husband’s favorite song is to dance to. I have the idea that every married couple should hear “their” favorite song as I feel that a wedding is somewhat about the guests too to a certain extent.

Early on I could tell that she was feeling mad at me with some sniping at me but near the end of the call it got downright vicious. For starters we are both 42 years of age and being faithful Catholic still hope that possibly we could have a child(ren) of our own. We are also open for adoption. To my sister, it is very wrong for us to try to conceive for a child as my soon to be wife will be having miscarriages every month, no check that, every 3 months.

We had also asked if 1 of her 2 daughters would agree to be a bridesmaid. My fiancee has 2 others chosen and to me that is something that is entirely up to her. To my sister it was wrong to just ask one, both should be asked. My sister is a floral designer but lives 3 hours away by car and we were looking at centre pieces using stuff from the dollar store. While my sister is a floral designer, she currently doesn’t work in any florist shop.
My sister is also mad that we didn’t ask her to have a bridal shower. Well its not something we feel that we should ask of someone as there is a quite a bit of work and where she lives nobody would come as its too far away.

My brother, sister and I were all adopted and my sister has made contact with her natural mother and her kids. Apparently her brother is also getting married the same day as us and I can’t help but feel that she would rather go there than come to mine. While I would like for her to be there, if she really doesn’t want to come, I want to find out soon so that a replacement for my niece as a bridesmaid can be made. The wedding is 3 months away as of this Friday.

Does my sister have some valid points?
She does have one valid point, concerning the bridesmaids situation. It is inappropriate to ask only one niece. Either you ask both, or you ask neither. Especially if they are young and close in age, it is rude to include one and exclude the other unless you have another way of including the one excluded as a bridesmaid in the weding day.

As far as your ages and trying to conceive a child, she’s way off the mark on that one. Its none of her business and women have given birth at that age and even older. She needs to butt out, that’s a decision that you and your future wife make together.

I can understand your sister being a little irked at not being consulted about floral arrangements. You have a designer at your disposal, I would certainly use her knowledge as much is possible.

The engaged couple doesn’t ask people to throw bridal showers. People close to the couple ask the couple if they can throw them a bridal shower. I don’t know where she got the idea that you needed to ask her to throw a shower. I certainly hope though that someone is throwing a shower for your bride. They can be a lot of fun and a memory she would treasure.
 
She does have one valid point, concerning the bridesmaids situation. It is inappropriate to ask only one niece. Either you ask both, or you ask neither. Especially if they are young and close in age, it is rude to include one and exclude the other unless you have another way of including the one excluded as a bridesmaid in the weding day.

As far as your ages and trying to conceive a child, she’s way off the mark on that one. Its none of her business and women have given birth at that age and even older. She needs to butt out, that’s a decision that you and your future wife make together.

I can understand your sister being a little irked at not being consulted about floral arrangements. You have a designer at your disposal, I would certainly use her knowledge as much is possible.

The engaged couple doesn’t ask people to throw bridal showers. People close to the couple ask the couple if they can throw them a bridal shower. I don’t know where she got the idea that you needed to ask her to throw a shower. I certainly hope though that someone is throwing a shower for your bride. They can be a lot of fun and a memory she would treasure.
My 2 nieces are 16 and 20 years of age. We are kinda distant from both of them. The youngest one (16) is the one that is included. The older niece doesn’t even live at home anymore and we also said that their respective bf’s can come to the dinner as well.
 
Update:

We decided to have both nieces as bridesmaids and we are glad for that.

Now that is behind us there is something that I would like to ask. The night before the Wedding,we are having our rehearsal and we were planning on meeting at a nearby restaurant for the traditional “rehearsal dinner”. My fiancee initially wanted the 2 of us to pay for everyone’s dinner at the restaurant but with approximately 20 people it becomes WAY too expensive. My question is, what should we do? Let it “slip” that each person would be expected to pay for their own dinner?

Also, I would like to ask people to paste a link for great wedding program covers.
 
Update:

We decided to have both nieces as bridesmaids and we are glad for that.

Now that is behind us there is something that I would like to ask. The night before the Wedding,we are having our rehearsal and we were planning on meeting at a nearby restaurant for the traditional “rehearsal dinner”. My fiancee initially wanted the 2 of us to pay for everyone’s dinner at the restaurant but with approximately 20 people it becomes WAY too expensive. My question is, what should we do? Let it “slip” that each person would be expected to pay for their own dinner?

Also, I would like to ask people to paste a link for great wedding program covers.
Whoa, no, do NOT invite people to a restaurant for your rehearsal dinner and then expect them to pay for it. NO, NO, NO!

If you do not have the funds, then you do not do the restaurant. How about a casual cookout at your parent’s home? Or even pizza delivery? If it all is too much, skip the rehearsal dinner all together. Just do not ask guests to pay.
 
Whoa, no, do NOT invite people to a restaurant for your rehearsal dinner and then expect them to pay for it. NO, NO, NO!

If you do not have the funds, then you do not do the restaurant. How about a casual cookout at your parent’s home? Or even pizza delivery? If it all is too much, skip the rehearsal dinner all together. Just do not ask guests to pay.
I agree with this. It is definitely a NO-NO to expect guests to pay for their meals at a rehearsal dinner. Also, traditionally, the groom and his family usually pay for the rehearsal dinner. I know that has been the case for almost every wedding I’ve been too or worked for. Have your parents offered any help or would it be a possibility to ask your parents to help pay for the rehearsal dinner? I understand if that isn’t a possibility at all.

A cookout or something more affordable like he pizza idea is a better option than asking people to pay, especially if the budget is small.
 
We are all in agreement. No, asking people to pay. The rehearsal dinner as I see it is a thank you for their being in your wedding and coming to the rehearsal. If there are twenty people in your party, that is a huge wedding… Regardless, why not have a get together at your house or a relative or friends and you make or order small finger foods or appetizers in advance, but enough to make a meal. Then, some drinks and a few desserts and you are all set. It’s much more relaxed that way too.
 
Gotta love the internet. Get great advice that otherwise you would be too chicken to ask people face to face!!! Just to answer your question though, both my parents have passed away as well as my fiancee’s dad as well.
 
Now that is behind us there is something that I would like to ask. The night before the Wedding,we are having our rehearsal and we were planning on meeting at a nearby restaurant for the traditional “rehearsal dinner”. My fiancee initially wanted the 2 of us to pay for everyone’s dinner at the restaurant but with approximately 20 people it becomes WAY too expensive. My question is, what should we do? Let it “slip” that each person would be expected to pay for their own dinner?
As everyone else said, definitely do not invite people to a rehearsal dinner and ask them to pay. If you can’t afford to pay for everyone’s meals at a restaurant, you can either have a casual get-together somewhere, or not do anything. Though you aren’t obligated to do anything, something small or casual would be a nice way to thank them for all the time and money they’ve put into your wedding.
 
Wedding planning is something definitely not my forte. The last wedding I attended was June 1994. The last wedding that I was a part of was my older Brother and that was 1984. At that time there was no rehearsal dinner, but a small reception after the rehearsal at my parent’s home.

People are saying that the dinner is a courtesy on our part to the people part of the wedding party. Just for the record, we are already giving small gifts to each person in the Wedding party over and above any reherasal dinner.

Links for nice Wedding program covers?
 
People are saying that the dinner is a courtesy on our part to the people part of the wedding party. Just for the record, we are already giving small gifts to each person in the Wedding party over and above any reherasal dinner.
It’s good that you are giving them gifts, but it still doesn’t mean that you should ever invite them to a rehearsal dinner and ask them to pay for their own meal. The wedding party typically spends a lot on a wedding- between getting gifts, showers, paying for tuxes/dresses, transportation/hotels if necessary, and so forth. So, if you do have a rehearsal dinner it’s not so much a courtesy, it’s a huge thank you for all their invested time and money in your wedding. That’s not to say you have to have one, just that no one should ever ask their wedding party to pay their own way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top