Weddings Gowns

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sarabande
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you both. šŸ™‚

The catering hall where we had the reception had a gazebo…and the photographer insisted he wanted that shot. It was raining. While DH and I were dry, the photographer stood in the rain to get the picture.

It’s my favorite picture, I think, of the wedding.
It is a beautiful picture and what dedication your photographer had to get soaked in the rain!!! šŸ™‚
 
It is a beautiful picture and what dedication your photographer had to get soaked in the rain!!! šŸ™‚
I think he wanted a copy for his portfolio, but I am grateful he wanted the shot.

The same photographer did my cousin’s wedding. DS1 was about 3 months old so and he did a family portrait for us. Very nice man.
 
Sarabande, your Mom looked so lovely!

I also remember those square shaped snapshots from the seventies.
Thanks!! šŸ™‚ I know I’m absolutely and completely biased because she’s my mom, but I always thought as a little girl and now that she was the most beautiful bride I ever saw.
I found a pic of Princess Catherine’s reception gown. It was strapless but she wore an angora cardigan on top.

royalwedding.aol.com/2011/04/29/kate-middleton-second-royal-wedding-dress-reception/
I liked this gown as well. I think she can pull it off that kind of cut on the top because she is not well-endowed and has no cleavage to show. I never could wear a sweetheart neckline because I might as well be showing all of my goods. I was a little too blessed in that area. haha!
 
šŸ‘

That’s also why diamonds are the preferred stone for engagement rings. Some royal gave another royal a diamond ring instead of the usual ruby/sapphire/emerald. It started a trend.
Guess I went against the grain. First I didn’t want an engagement ring, I don’t wear jewelry. When DH insisted I said, well, if I have to I want ā€œthisā€ pointing to a very simple setting with a very small emerald flanked by a even smaller diamond on each side. That ring has sat in one drawer or another for most of the 37 years since our engagement.

My wedding band is a simple flat band of white gold - I searched for months for a ring like that finally telling my last hope of a jeweler, ā€œLook, what I want is simple, just take a pipe and slice off a thin piece. That’s the look I want.ā€ ā€œOh,ā€ says he, ā€œlike this?ā€ showing off his own wedding band which was exactly what I’d been looking for. ā€œNo problem, here are two.ā€ I’ve later learned that they’re known as ā€˜pipe-cut wedding bands’.
 
Thanks!!

I liked this gown as well. I think she can pull it off that kind of cut on the top because she is not well-endowed and has no cleavage to show. I never could wear a sweetheart neckline because I might as well be showing all of my goods. I was a little too blessed in that area. haha!
I think Kate just took off the top and put on a belt, no? šŸ™‚
 
I think Kate just took off the top and put on a belt, no? šŸ™‚
I thought it was a second dress she had made for the evening reception from what the article said. It looks like different material as well. The first dress I think technically had the sweetheart, but the lace pretty much covered most of the body above, so it looked more like a V.

If I wore the dress, I’d have to raise the V a little more because I would show a little cleavage.
 
Guess I went against the grain. First I didn’t want an engagement ring, I don’t wear jewelry. When DH insisted I said, well, if I have to I want ā€œthisā€ pointing to a very simple setting with a very small emerald flanked by a even smaller diamond on each side. That ring has sat in one drawer or another for most of the 37 years since our engagement.

My wedding band is a simple flat band of white gold - I searched for months for a ring like that finally telling my last hope of a jeweler, ā€œLook, what I want is simple, just take a pipe and slice off a thin piece. That’s the look I want.ā€ ā€œOh,ā€ says he, ā€œlike this?ā€ showing off his own wedding band which was exactly what I’d been looking for. ā€œNo problem, here are two.ā€ I’ve later learned that they’re known as ā€˜pipe-cut wedding bands’.
My sister is similar to you. She and her boyfriend are discussing marriage now and she has already made it clear to him that she does not want an engagement ring, let alone a diamond. Her ā€œjewelryā€ consist of mostly little leather necklaces with charms or beaded bracelets. All she wants is a band, which is lucky for him. haha!
 
I saw this article written back in March, but it shows a few royal wedding gowns and style equivalents for the ā€œregularā€ bride. The last gown for the non-royal bride by Renella de Fina is very lovely if you like lace. I like the neckline that the lace makes.

sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/825947/royal-wedding-gowns-for-any-budget
I like Princess Marie of Denmark’s gown a great deal!

Also love Princess Grace’s…but Grace Kelly would have looked gorgeous in a potato sack.
 
I thought it was a second dress she had made for the evening reception from what the article said. It looks like different material as well. The first dress I think technically had the sweetheart, but the lace pretty much covered most of the body above, so it looked more like a V.

If I wore the dress, I’d have to raise the V a little more because I would show a little cleavage.
I agree that it’s a different dress.

If you ever watch ā€œSay Yes to the Dressā€ seems like a few brides get 2, one for the ceremony and one for the reception.
 
I put a few pics on my profile page under albums with the title Wedding Pics. I chose the ones where you can see what I did with my mother’s headpiece and train. Then what the dress looked like. Unfortunately, my mother and I couldn’t find a gown with 3/4 inch sleeves (which was what I originally wanted), but we at least lucked out and found this dress that had the cap-like strap sleeves. The dress had the option of either taking them off or putting them on the side, but I didn’t want my shoulders bare.
 
Have any of you seen the show, ā€œSay Yes to the Dressā€? :eek:
Yes, and no one ever comes in looking for anything that isn’t strapless, unfortunately.
Some women really look terrible and yet everyone with them is crying about how beautiful the dress is on them. 🤷
 
I put a few pics on my profile page under albums with the title Wedding Pics. I chose the ones where you can see what I did with my mother’s headpiece and train. Then what the dress looked like. Unfortunately, my mother and I couldn’t find a gown with 3/4 inch sleeves (which was what I originally wanted), but we at least lucked out and found this dress that had the cap-like strap sleeves. The dress had the option of either taking them off or putting them on the side, but I didn’t want my shoulders bare.
You looked stunning… but I think you would have looked great no matter what you would wear, because you are very pretty.

To the other poster about strapless… I also think that sometimes strapless is boring… also those magazines are boring that feature one strapless dress after the other…its un-creative.
But I like strapless… They can look fantastic and also modest on the right women, and they should not be generelly critizised.
 
You looked stunning… but I think you would have looked great no matter what you would wear, because you are very pretty.
Awww… thank you. :o I often think of myself as a dork, so I appreciate that. At least I didn’t look like a dork that day. haha!
To the other poster about strapless… I also think that sometimes strapless is boring… also those magazines are boring that feature one strapless dress after the other…its un-creative.
But I like strapless… They can look fantastic and also modest on the right women, and they should not be generelly critizised.
I agree on both accounts. For a few of the weddings I’ve cantored, I have seen some beautiful strapless gowns on the sweetest of brides. They looked lovely and modest in them. It was their body type and the style of the dress, I believe. They kind of looked angelic to me as they processed down the aisle with their long, white veils and A-line cut or just soft and flowing dresses. Not to mention they had lovely personalities.

Not all brides can do strapless, though, and pull off looking modest, so I always thought it was unfair for those women who had not much to choose from.

I’m looking forward to seeing the trend for sleeves again or at least more variety in the bridal gown world.
 
I put a few pics on my profile page under albums with the title Wedding Pics. I chose the ones where you can see what I did with my mother’s headpiece and train. Then what the dress looked like. Unfortunately, my mother and I couldn’t find a gown with 3/4 inch sleeves (which was what I originally wanted), but we at least lucked out and found this dress that had the cap-like strap sleeves. The dress had the option of either taking them off or putting them on the side, but I didn’t want my shoulders bare.
I saw your pic, simply lovely!
 
I thought Kate’s wedding dress was beautiful. I bought my wedding dress a few months ago. It’s strapless which is something I would have never considered because my mom and I both thought we would be getting something with sleeves since the wedding is in a church. However, when I actually put it on the dress looked very classy and modest. Perhaps it is because I am very petite? Maybe it is because I have a veil and long hair that covers my shoulders? Maybe it is because of my tiny shoulders to begin with and the neckline of the dress is straight across and high so it doesn’t show cleavage? Anyway, we were really surprised that the dress didn’t really need straps at all to look modest. I have come to decide that individual body differences make a big impact.

I do hope stores begin to carry more dresses with sleeves though. It would be nice if I actually had some choices besides strapless, strapless, and more strapless!
 
I thought Kate’s wedding dress was beautiful. I bought my wedding dress a few months ago. It’s strapless which is something I would have never considered because my mom and I both thought we would be getting something with sleeves since the wedding is in a church. However, when I actually put it on the dress looked very classy and modest. Perhaps it is because I am very petite? Maybe it is because I have a veil and long hair that covers my shoulders? Maybe it is because of my tiny shoulders to begin with and the neckline of the dress is straight across and high so it doesn’t show cleavage? Anyway, we were really surprised that the dress didn’t really need straps at all to look modest. I have come to decide that individual body differences make a big impact.

I do hope stores begin to carry more dresses with sleeves though. It would be nice if I actually had some choices besides strapless, strapless, and more strapless!
Exactly. This is what happend to my sister too. She never thought she would want a strapless, but when she got it on in the shop, wow she looked soo cute.
I saw a fantastic picture which I must say started my own dreams… If I ever get married I wouldn’t mind going to this shop and trying on this precise look.

lilly.dk/Default.aspx?ID=21&GroupID=GROUP8&PageNum=6 the top-right with the huge veil.
 
Exactly. This is what happend to my sister too. She never thought she would want a strapless, but when she got it on in the shop, wow she looked soo cute.
I saw a fantastic picture which I must say started my own dreams… If I ever get married I wouldn’t mind going to this shop and trying on this precise look.

lilly.dk/Default.aspx?ID=21&GroupID=GROUP8&PageNum=6 the top-right with the huge veil.
That’s a very romantic dress! I like the ruffle and the basic draping around the body.
 
Yes, and no one ever comes in looking for anything that isn’t strapless, unfortunately.
Some women really look terrible and yet everyone with them is crying about how beautiful the dress is on them. 🤷
EXACTLY!

I love the wedding pictures everyone has been posting. You all look SO beautiful! :)šŸ™‚
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top