What Begat Trump

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nepperhan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably true in some places. Around here, most recent immigrants have their own businesses or work in industry of various kinds. I would say anti-immigrant sentiment is actually pretty rare except for Somalis. Hispanics “go American” fast in this part of the country.
 
stopped limiting membership to those related by race to former members?
My impression has been that membership in some unions is a “legacy” thing, but not for race reasons. Lots of union jobs pay very well and people want their sons and daughters to have preference over everybody else. That does end up being racial since most “legacy” members of those unions are white. But the purpose is to make it inheritable.
 
My impression has been that membership in some unions is a “legacy” thing, but not for race reasons.
The historic union legacy rules limited membership to those in a member’s family. Those ended in the seventies and were surely a racial thing.
 
If you say they ended, I can’t say you’re wrong. But I really do think the individuals meant it as a hereditament, not as a “keep blacks out” thing. Lots of us don’t think of a union card as something to inherit, but if it carries a $100,000 salary with it, it would sure seem like one.
 
“We’re all Rhodesians, and we’ll fight through thick and thin to keep our land a free land. Stop the enemy coming in. We’ll keep them north of the Zambezi, till that river’s running dry, and this mighty land will prosper for Rhodesians never die.”
 
The construction workers merely wanted to take down a symbol that was deeply offensive to them. I thought that was cool, judging by recent events.
 
Should have pulled out of Vietnam and should have slain the Communists in Rhodesia, but that is a discussion for another time.
 
The NY Times is the paper that died and no one cared to have a funeral.
You can tell they are lyin when you see their chest movin.
I can get more honest information from Morty at the buck-a-beer bar behind my shop.
 
Last edited:
Vietnam was winnable with proper dedication. Rhodesia just needed sanctions lifted.
 
Are you saying the bankers were conservative? Care to provide some evidence for that?
 
I am not so sure. The communists were able to successfully leverage nationalism by casting the war as a struggle against Western imperialism. Combined the fact that heavy-handed US tactics proved ineffective to protect our friends while alienating others, we had a situation similar to Afghanistan today.
 
The construction workers merely wanted to take down a symbol that was deeply offensive to them. I thought that was cool, judging by recent events.
Their motive was negative and a backlash to protests on college campuses and to the anti-war movement. There was nothing about their protests that had all races involved in their movement. Anti-war protesters were beaten while the police stood by. Racist solgans were chanted in the streets.

See the difference?
 
Last edited:
Their motive was negative and a backlash to protests on college campuses and to the anti-war movement.
Hard to see how anti-communism is negative unless you are a communist sympathizer.
There was nothing about their protests that had all races involved in their movement.
TIL that assault and vandalism are justified if the perps are diverse.
 
Last edited:
“Marxist/Leninists” is probably closer to the truth. Many of the leaders were, and there’s no question about that.
 
I was convinced by Philip Abbot Luce’s THE NEW LEFT, roughly in the 1967-68 period. When I was running conservative activist groups on campus.
 
Ha! I was on the other side of it back in the day; thinking myself quite the radical for awhile. I was at the meeting in Chicago in which the strategy to disrupt the Dem convention was formulated. And lots of those folks, the real leaders, were very much Marxist/Leninists.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top