L
Lifeisawesome
Guest
If you are not in spiritual direction now but desire to be, what is inhibiting your progress?
I mean faithful to the magisterium. It seems to be not very easy to find nearby.By “orthodox” do you mean “faithful to the magisterium” or Orthodox as in Eastern Orthodox?
Are looking for folks that have a dedicated Spiritual Director, like a priest? Or folks that seek out spiritual advice and direction from others that they look up to for various reasons?If you are not in spiritual direction now but desire to be, what is inhibiting your progress?
I don’t know if I understand your question - I will take a shot at an answer - let me know if it makes sense…Are looking for folks that have a dedicated Spiritual Director, like a priest? Or folks that seek out spiritual advice and direction from others that they look up to for various reasons?
Just curious - how does your relationship with your associate pastor look in comparison to this post (below)? Would you say that your relationship accurately reflects Father John’s definition of Spiritual Direction or is your experience very different?My associate pastor is my spiritual director and confessor. It is very important to me to have his guidance - he helps me grow. I would definitely recommend everyone to have one.
Yep, answered it completely. ThanksI don’t know if I understand your question - I will take a shot at an answer - let me know if it makes sense…
I am not asking if folks have someone they get advice from on a spiritual level. What I am asking is how many people are in a regular relationship (usually monthly) with someone who is specifically trained to do “Spiritual Direction” The definition I use can be found here: rcspiritualdirection.blogspot.com/2009/01/spiritual-direction-what-it-is-and-what.html
Spiritual direction is a specific practice. The director and directee meet regularly, often monthly. It’s different from occasionally consulting someone about a spiritual issue and there’s a sense of it being something long-term. I know today that I will meet with my spiritual director next November, but obviously I have no idea today what we will discuss then.Are looking for folks that have a dedicated Spiritual Director, like a priest? Or folks that seek out spiritual advice and direction from others that they look up to for various reasons?
First, pray. The Holy Spirit is the real spiritual director and will help you find one.How does one go about finding Catholic Spiritual Directors in their state?
Scanning quickly through the post above, I would say that is my experience with my spiritual director. For some examples: he isn’t there to make decisions for me but only to guide me, to help me recognize my weakness and my strength, to encourage me and help me think more clearly when I am confused, to face what is real and learn how to deal with it, and to share his life experiences with me so that I may learn from them too. The bottom line - he is helping me follow Christ.Just curious - how does your relationship with your associate pastor look in comparison to this post (below)? Would you say that your relationship accurately reflects Father John’s definition of Spiritual Direction or is your experience very different?
rcspiritualdirection.blogspot.com/2009/01/spiritual-direction-what-it-is-and-what.html
Well saidSpiritual direction is a specific practice. The director and directee meet regularly, often monthly. It’s different from occasionally consulting someone about a spiritual issue and there’s a sense of it being something long-term. I know today that I will meet with my spiritual director next November, but obviously I have no idea today what we will discuss then.
You are never aloneI haven’t had a spiritual director since 1994. It seems that everytime I find one [preferably a priest], he always gets transferred or has more responsibilities piled on top of him.
I go to the EF Mass now, but the priests who come from outside to say it can’t always stay after Mass to talk to anyone.
Where I live, there are no monasteries or convents. We had religious Order priests a long time ago, but they all go pulled out because of the shortage of vocations.
I think it’s my lot in life to be without a spiritual director…to be alone in this world.
If you love me, keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father: and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him. But you shall know him; because he shall abide with you and shall be in you. I will not leave you orphans: I will come to you (John 14:15-18 DRV).
Hmm. That must be very difficult to feel. Have you ever considered correspondence with a religious? This was very common at one time. It might be slow but better than nothing. What part of the country do you live in?I haven’t had a spiritual director since 1994. It seems that everytime I find one [preferably a priest], he always gets transferred or has more responsibilities piled on top of him.
I go to the EF Mass now, but the priests who come from outside to say it can’t always stay after Mass to talk to anyone.
Where I live, there are no monasteries or convents. We had religious Order priests a long time ago, but they all go pulled out because of the shortage of vocations.
I think it’s my lot in life to be without a spiritual director…to be alone in this world.
Amen - even when we don’t feel like it - He is with us.You are never alone. This is a promise from Jesus:
Perhaps that’s a small hint from the Holy Spirit that you should consider someone other than a priest. Have you asked around to see if someone else might be available? Would you consider driving a distance to see a director if there isn’t someone close by?I haven’t had a spiritual director since 1994. It seems that everytime I find one [preferably a priest], he always gets transferred or has more responsibilities piled on top of him.