What best discribes your spiritual direction situation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lifeisawesome
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the sense you are mocking my honesty or am I wrong? I am a good human what is that supposed to mean, is that like good dog a pat on the head that’s not what I am looking for I am only sharing. Sorry if my answers don’t fit into your thread perfectly and sorry I am not perfect. I am not sharing to be corrected or mocked :signofcross:God Bless
I was honestly expressing admiration for you. My apologies for the awkward approach.
 
I was honestly expressing admiration for you. My apologies for the awkward approach.
SORRY I am way to sensitive sometimes, it seemed quirky like sarcastic, Don’t ask how I assertained that from a few words my mind can get in my hearts way sometimes. Sorry I have now insulted you please forgive my rash judgments,:o:o:o I let emotions from something else effect how I read it.
 
SORRY I am way to sensitive sometimes, it seemed quirky like sarcastic, Don’t ask how I assertained that from a few words my mind can get in my hearts way sometimes. Sorry I have now insulted you please forgive my rash judgments,:o:o:o I let emotions from something else effect how I read it.
No offense or insults received here. Glad you allowed me to clarify.
 
No offense or insults received here. Glad you allowed me to clarify.
Sometimes in this format it is very difficult to accuratly express meaning. I have often misunderstood what someone writes as being negative or offensive when actually they meant the opposite. The smilies can help convey meaning. In this medium we have the disadvantage of not seeing facial expressions which usually are a great help in conversation to understand if a person is being sarcastic or genuine. But then again, with some people, even if you are standing right in front of them, it is still hard to tell.
 
Sometimes in this format it is very difficult to accuratly express meaning. I have often misunderstood what someone writes as being negative or offensive when actually they meant the opposite. The smilies can help convey meaning. In this medium we have the disadvantage of not seeing facial expressions which usually are a great help in conversation to understand if a person is being sarcastic or genuine. But then again, with some people, even if you are standing right in front of them, it is still hard to tell.
Joann - good thoughts. I have always thought the use of the emoticons was a bit silly. However, this is a great learning experience for me. I think I will use them more often now. 😊
 
Mine is an example of how someone who is a friend often cannot spiritually direct you.

I originally went to my pastor for spiritual direction, because I recognized him as a holy person and a friend. I felt he would be able to help me grow spiritually.

However, after a couple of months, he told me that he could not continue to direct me. He said that he was unable to correct me about some of the things I talked about because he did not want to cause me hurt. Thus I was not progressing as he thought I should. Our friendship proved a barrier for him in helping me.

I am aware that many pastors can deal with friendship and spiritual direction, but my priest could not. To lose his spiritual direction was quite a blow to me but my pastor sent me to a priest at the local abbey and I see a huge difference in how my spiritual direction is going. I am quite happy with my SD and have been seeing him every month for a year. I am making steady progress in my spiritual life.

I hope this is helpful to someone…
 
Mine is an example of how someone who is a friend often cannot spiritually direct you.

I originally went to my pastor for spiritual direction, because I recognized him as a holy person and a friend. I felt he would be able to help me grow spiritually.

However, after a couple of months, he told me that he could not continue to direct me. He said that he was unable to correct me about some of the things I talked about because he did not want to cause me hurt. Thus I was not progressing as he thought I should. Our friendship proved a barrier for him in helping me.

I am aware that many pastors can deal with friendship and spiritual direction, but my priest could not. To lose his spiritual direction was quite a blow to me but my pastor sent me to a priest at the local abbey and I see a huge difference in how my spiritual direction is going. I am quite happy with my SD and have been seeing him every month for a year. I am making steady progress in my spiritual life.

I hope this is helpful to someone…
This is fantastic feedback. I know it will be helpful as I have heard this issue from the side of concern. I just uploaded a post entitled “Concern about approaching a spiritual director” that includes this as a central issue.

Here’s the link if the other doesn’t work

rcspiritualdirection.blogspot.com/2009/03/concern-about-approaching-potential.html
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top