What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually have several books on the go. I leave them at spots in the house when I go to that room I pick it up and read it there.

Upstairs bathroom beside the throne I am reading The Preist & The Oracle. I kinda sorta remember the author’s name as Ellen Taylen Gun…and it drifts off there. Pretty cool tale dealing with Dead Sea Scrolls, A archeologist preist teaching at Oxford, the rebuilding of the temple in Jeruselum and thwarting white supremisist and international terrorists. (Not as trashy as DaVici Code, but The Code wasn’t bad either as pure fiction, it just played out like a movie for the mind – I could even see Tom Hanks in the starring role).
On deck I’ve been waiting all winter to get to Topaz by Leon Uris (He’s my favorite author: Trinity, Redemption, Exodus, Mila 18, Armegeddon, Mitla Pass, Battle Cry…loved them all).

In the living room coffee table I have The CCC and it is just bloeing me away… My preist gave it to me when I asked him if he had a copy and I never thought it would be as terriffic read as it is… I MEAN WOW! WOW!.. you know what I mean?

Down at my desk I keep a couple of biblesI have three books that I’m launching into soon concesutively. What Went Wrong by Bernard Lewis, Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Davis, and if summer hits before I finish them…then I may take in From Beirut to Jerusalem.

But my guilty pleasure is reading Catholic Answers Board…it takes me away from my other boooks …heh heh

emp
 
Just finished The Spirit of the Liturgy by Pope Benedict XVI and finishing up The Shape of Catholic Theology by Fr. Aidan Nichols, O.P. (This one I started a while back and needed to finish the last two chapters).

PF
 
“City of God” by St. Augustine
“The Spiritual Excercises” by St. Ignatius
 
Finished up The Shape of Catholic Theology by Fr. Aidan Nichols, O.P… Now reading Triumph by Harry Crocker.

PF
 
A lot of books by transcendetalists. They are really opening my eyes into following my heart and not society and institutions. I totally reccomend “Natue” by Ralph Waldo Emerson and “Self Reliance”
 
The Weight of Glory – C.S.Lewis

Can’t recommend the essay by the same name highly enough. An absolute must read. After reading the essay on the train, I couldn’t wait to get home to pat my golden retreiver. 🙂

Those of you who read it likely know what I mean. Those of you who haven’t I’ll leave this as bait. 😉

Hoenstly, wonderful book. But of course.
 
I am currently reading The Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican by J. P. Gallagher. It’s the book that the movie The scarlet and the Black was based on.
I’m also read This is Our Faith by Michael Francis Pennock for RCIA.
 
Just finished Triumph and am starting on Deep Conversion, Deep Prayer by Fr Thomas Dunay, S.M.

PF
 
The CCC…PRN. Like some of my prescriptions.
Same deal…The Catholic Girl’s Guide… circa 1905.
Beginning Apologetics vol I…
 
City of God by St. Augustine

St. Faustina - Diary

Salt of the Earth - Benedict XVI

Daily Readings - from the works of C.S. Lewis

Orthodoxy - G.K. Chesterton

I can never just pick one book and read until it’s finished. I always have several going at one time. It takes me forever to finish something! :rolleyes:
 
Right now,I’m reading “The dolorous passion of our Lord Jesus Christ” by Anne Catherine Emmerich for this Lent Season.👍
 
Theology of the Body - Human Love in the Divine Plan by JPII

and reading The Problem of Pain by C.S. Lewis in between.

Shalom…

Next in line after the two above are:

Good Bye, Good Men
 
With Confirmation just a week away(!), I’ve finally decided to resume some secular reading, beginning with The Kennedy Tapes: Inside the White House During the Cuban Missile Crisis by Ernest May & Philip D. Zelikow. It’s primarily the transcripts of recordings made by JFK while he and his advisors decided what to do during this time. The commentary by the editors May and Zelikow really helps put things in perspective and explains the more obscure references made during conversation. So far, a great book.
 
I’m currently reading “The Way of Divine Love” by Sr. Josefa Menendez. It’s a very good read, particularly the chapters about our
Lord’s Passion. Thank God for victim souls!

Might read the “Ratzinger Report” next.

God bless,
Noel.
 
Queen of the Cosmos, awesome book! Interviews from the visionaries at Medjugorje by Jan Connell. Highly reccomend it!
 
Rereading Rapture:The End-Times Error That Leaves the Bible Behind by David Currie (2003)

Because it is the best book on the Catholic teaching on the end times I have ever read…and I have to be able to answer a lot of questions put to me by protestant relatives. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top