What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been re-reading the Narnia series, and am now on “The Last Battle.” Next I’d like to re-read “Till We Have Faces.”
 
40.png
MarthaMartha:
I’ve been re-reading the Narnia series, and am now on “The Last Battle.” Next I’d like to re-read “Till We Have Faces.”
“Till We Have Faces” !!! I have that on my shelf, it was a great story, I will have to pull it down again. Thanks for the reminder! 👍
 
Soon to finish 1491. Anyone who perceives pre-columbian America as a natural paradise should make this book required reading. It’s an eye-opener.
 
My life with the Saints by James Martin, SJ
Very interesting, part lives of the saints, part autobiography (how the saints helped Fr Martin throughout his life). My only nit to pick is he included a couple non-saints: Thomas Merton, Pedro Arrupe (Father-General of the Society of Jesus during the 70s & 80s) and Dorothy Day, though in her case I think at least a Cause has been initiated.

He does include many I am sure are dear to CAFers: the Blessed Mother, Therese the Little Flower, Joan of Arc and Ignatius Loyola. Btw, I never knew Ignatius’s birth name was Inigo – I just imagined him saying (before his conversion), “My name is Inigo Loyola. You killed my father. Prepare to die.”

Good review:
catholicmom.com/br_martin.htm
 
Left to Tell by Imaculee Ilibagiza. It’s a story of a Rwandan Catholic who survived the genocide in her country. A beautiful story of faith.
 
I adore naval fictionilised history…currently reading Alexander Kent with his hero Richard Bolitho coming up to the Battle of Trafalger…never knew that no Catholic could hold officer position in the old British Navy, shoulda but didna…

Read most days a section from Divine Intimacy, the Daily Missal and the Holy Bible.
 
I adore naval fictionilised history…currently reading Alexander Kent with his hero Richard Bolitho coming up to the Battle of Trafalger…never knew that no Catholic could hold officer position in the old British Navy, shoulda but didna…

Read most days a section from Divine Intimacy, the Daily Missal and the Holy Bible.
You should read the Horatio Hornblower books by CS Forrester - I got into them by first watching the wonderful series with the drewlworthy Ioan Gruffud playing Hornblower 😉
 
I’m reading ‘Islam in the World’ by Malaise Ruthven, I have to say it gives an excellent objective and thorough explanation of Islam. I’m also reading ‘Memory and Identity’ some of John Paul II’s thoughts about the world. He moves me to tears.
 
I’m currently reading Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrel, can’t seem to remember the name of the author though. It’s a very good book about wizards in turn of the century England. It’s almost a cross between Tolkien and Jane Austin. I hightly recomend it. You have to get past the first fourty pages before it starts to pick up. Oh, and it is about 800 pages long, so keep that in mind too.
 
“Coming Soon”, Unlocking the book of revelation by Michael Barber. I’m halfway through, and it’s good reading…
 
Current, extremely slow speed reading:

Robert Sungenis - Not by Bread Alone
Padre Pio - Letters of Padre Pio (volume 1)
Xavier Rynne - Letters from Vatican City

and last, but by no means least:

William Goldman - The Princess Bride
 
Mostly I only read Chesterton, Belloc, Baring, and Aquinas. Also some CJ Cherryh science fiction. These are the inspiration for the novels I write, which is why I don’t have much time to read.

OK, I also read comic books, mostly Japanese (Bleach, Peacemaker, and Trigun, especially) but also Hellboy, which I think is based on the medieval legend of Robert the Devil. Also Jhonen Vasquez’ hideous yet oddly sweet Johnnie the Homicidal Maniac. I can’t recommend it to 99% of humanity, though. It’s gross.
 
Trappist: Living in the Land of Desire by Michael Downey

Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis. This is a forum Book Club selection which I am doing about a year after everyone else. 😛
 
You should read the Horatio Hornblower books by CS Forrester - I got into them by first watching the wonderful series with the drewlworthy Ioan Gruffud playing Hornblower 😉
Great stuff LilyM, I have the boxed set of gorgeous Ioan Gruffiud as Hornblower. Loved the books too, went on after a couple of years to read Patrick O’Briens Captain Aubrey of “Master and Commander” fame…

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum…throw him the scuppers with a hosepipe on him…
 
Great stuff LilyM, I have the boxed set of gorgeous Ioan Gruffiud as Hornblower. Loved the books too, went on after a couple of years to read Patrick O’Briens Captain Aubrey of “Master and Commander” fame…

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum…throw him the scuppers with a hosepipe on him…
I’m so jealous … the DVD budget is a little tight at the moment 😦

Avast ye lubbers! Last one up the yardarm’s a scurvy seadog! 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top