What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a good one! I had to read that before I started my freshman year here at Michigan State Uni. They make all the incoming freshman read a book for Lansings “One book, one community” project…I think its a cool idea.

I just finish reading Richard Louv’s Last Child in the Woods. I would recommend every parent read it…its very eye opening about just how important nature is for both kids and adults. It mirrors a lot of what I want to do with my career.

I think I’m going to start on the Dexter series tonight, I got the first two books for Christmas but haven’t gotten to them yet. I’m overdue for some fiction reading…the last few books I’ve read have been non-fiction and rather scholarly, but I guess thats what I get for being a science geek. I really want to read Rachel Carson’s Silent Spring…but I have to locate a copy first. I also have to finish the Origin of Species…I’m only about 1/3 of the way through it.
If you do read “Silent Spring”, then also please visit www.junkscience.com and check the section of DDT. There is a lot of correction of erroneous science that needs to be done in the name of the tens of millions of people who died from malaria after DDT usage was stopped. Also read Carson’s bio; she was a public relations person, rather than a scientist.
 
The Catholic Church Through the Ages: A History by John Vidmar, OP.

It’s very good. 360 pp with index. Paulist Press. $18.98.

www.paulistpress.com

Mimi

PS I was browsing our small parish library recently, and found a book by Tim Lahaye (the Left Behind series author). I borrowed it and will see that it never gets returned. One parishioner didn’t realize this is not good reading material for Catholics and she was old enough to know better, IMO.
 
Island of the World by Michael O’Brien (reading slowly because I love his books and want to draw the experience out)
I think he’s is a great writer! I wish he would write some shorter books for youth.

Isn’t this his most recent book? I’ll have to get that to add to my collection.

Mimi
 
The Dark is Rising - Susan Cooper.

This one is kind of scary. I’m utterly surprised that one finds it in the juvenile section of the library.
 
The Fulfillment of All Desire by Ralph Martin
Duma Key by Steven King

They’re both fantastic.
 
This week I finally finished Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict. It was very deep, so I took my time with it over a couple of months. Plus I don’t find time to read as much as I used to.

Now I have begun Brother Odd by Dean Koontz (one of my favorite authors and I love this series of novels), very interesting so far.
 
This week I finally finished Jesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict. It was very deep, so I took my time with it over a couple of months. Plus I don’t find time to read as much as I used to.
Me, too. Jesus of Nazareth was one of my Lenten objectives and I’m going to have to do a lot of reading between now and the Easter Vigil to get it done.
 
Paddy Whacked:The Untold Story of the Irish-American Gangster. by T.J. English

Below its rough title is some very interesting stories and analysis of anti-Catholicism and anti-Irish in American History that contributed to the Irish gangs. It also helps for you to know that Irish-American history fascinates me, being my heritage and all.
 
“God Alone” by S.C. Biela all his books I highly recommend:thumbsup:
 
I have a lot on my plate right now.

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
Not Without My Daughter - Betty Mahmoody
The Complete Idiots Guide to Geography
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
 
The Year 1,000 by Robert Lacy & Danny Danziger, which covers an interesting time in English history in the context of a month by month account.

The author laments in passing that much of the documentation of the events of the era was lost when Henry VIII in the sixteenth century dissolved the monasteries and destroyed countless priceless ancient manuscripts.
 
Would Jesus Discriminate?: The 21st Century Question

Awesome book, I highly recommend it to all.
 
Two books right now:

Introduction to the Devout Life by: Saint Francis de Sales

and

The End of the Affair by: Graham Greene

Very different books but they are each great.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top