What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished:
Started to read Winning Our Energy Independence by S. David Freeman and decided it was not worth reading (too leftist in nature and its scientific and engineering theories flawed). Replacing it with The Four Cardinal Virtues by Josef Pieper
 
I have probably read this book a dozen times but as I go along the Path I understand it more and more…
 
Why not…I like Captain America:)
Um… well actually the comic books I read are more of the Japanese kind. ^^’

As to what I’m reading (and I’ll probably be not understood by more than half the people subscribed to this thread) here is a short list.
  1. D.Gray-Man
  2. Naruto
  3. Mahou Sensei Negima!
  4. Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
 
I’ve got three on my headboard right now, with a bookmark in each about halfway through. I should probably pick one and be done with it:

A Tour of the Calculus by David Berlinski.
(Borrowed this one from a coworker because I’ve forgotten most everything I learned in calculus classes. Apparently this guy left academia to be a writer. I’m thinking perhaps he shouldn’t have quit his day job. A sample that gives the flavor of the whole book: One of the book chapter titles is simply ā€œYo.ā€)

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo.
(I loved Hunchback so I decided to tackle this behemoth. It’s well-written, but my impression is that Hugo couldn’t decide if he wanted to write a novel or a historical account of the French revolution, so he did both. This means that sections of book are entirely fictional, interspersed with entirely historical sections. The effect is somewhat disjointed and IMO not as good as it could have been if he’d written the two separately or used a more fluid style. It’s still better than a lot of stuff out there, though.)

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.
(I was excited about this when I saw that the protagonist and many of the early characters were referred to by only one name, unlike those in other Russian novels, who are referred to by one name, two names, all three names, or a random nickname and require a running list to keep track. Unfortunately as I’ve gotten further and further in, the characters are piling up more and more names. Sigh. Good story, though.)
 
I’ve been getting BBC productions from the library and reading the books…sometimes I watch the movie first and then read the book or vice versa. Things like Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, (my little nephew wants to know why I’m always reading about orphans!), North and South, Middlemarch, Silas Marner, Persuasion, Emma. In high school, I was in AP English and somehow got by on not reading the books, just answering questions on the themes we discussed in class. I was never one for fiction until I read Harry Potter to be able to discuss the books with my nephews and then I read all of Jane Austen. From there I read Bridgette Jones Diary (a take on Pride and Prejudice) and was disgusted by modern novel crude sex talk so I’m sticking to losing myself in 19th century Britain!
 
Silver on the Tree by Susan Cooper - last in The Dark is Rising series.
 
power to save the world - the truth about nuclear energy - by gwyneth cravens
 
I just started ā€œOn The Back Road To Heavenā€. It’s about the Amish, Hutterites, Mennonites and Brethren.

Kathy
 
Witness to Hope, the biography of John Paul II by George Weigel. I’m more and more in awe of JPII with every page.

— Ben
 
I like to think I have eclectic reading tastes and read almost anything.

Kathy
That wasnt meant to sound offensive if it did, I am very sorry. But I am glad that there are open minded people that will read anything to get themselves closer to God. I just got through reading a book by Cindi McMenamin called When God Pursues A Womans Heart and let me tell you, If you read that book, you will never ever think of God the same.
 
My wonderful discovery of Evelyn Waugh, great English novelist, led to his most famous book, Brideshead Revisited. The first impression was a chronicle of the decadent gentry in World War II England, but it is really about the anguish even upper class Catholics suffer through persecution by polite circles who are usually Episcopalian. It is also about the mysterious workings of God’s Grace in the life of a Catholic family and the main character, a non-Catholic and best friend of the youngest son in deep moral crisis in the troubled family. Many similarities to pressures and problems faced by American Catholics in a mainly Protestant country.
I just finished ā€œScoopā€ by Waugh, his satire on journalists during the Italian invasion of Ethiopia before WWII, and am now reading ā€œAt War with Waugh, The Real Story of Scoopā€ by W. F. Deedes upon whom the main character in Scoop is VERY loosely based. Next in line is a new biography on Deedes.

Waugh is a brilliant and wicked writer (not such a great journalist, however). One of his great lines is, when asked how he could be a good Catholic and yet such a **#@!, he replied, "Ah, but were I not a good Catholic, I would be so much more of a **#@! " 😃
 
I have just started Pro LINQ: Language Integrated Query in C# 2008 by Joseph Rattz. šŸ¤“ It is for Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 and .NET 3.5.

I am also working on Crusades: An illustrated History by Thomas Madden. (I like the pictures šŸ˜› .)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top