What book are you reading? #1

  • Thread starter Thread starter buzzcut
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Joyce Meyers … Approval Addiction: Overcoming Your Need to Please Everyone…I’m almost finished with it…very good:thumbsup:
I have that book here yet to read as well as Be Anxious For Nothing, and Battlefield of the mind. Is the Approval Addiction really what they make it out to be? I know that the Life Without Strife is pretty good. Let me know what other books of hers that you have read please and what you have thought of them. Thank you.
 
I have that book here yet to read as well as Be Anxious For Nothing, and Battlefield of the mind. Is the Approval Addiction really what they make it out to be? I know that the Life Without Strife is pretty good. Let me know what other books of hers that you have read please and what you have thought of them. Thank you.
I like it and find it to be helpful…I find her books speak especially good to women. She has been thru a lot of what we have…it makes me feel better reading them and I think a better Catholic.
Some of the things in her books…although not wrong… are just not completely right…but thats mostly how I see the protestant view of religion. I am Roman Catholic and read many authors…

for example I like Scott Hahn but find him too ‘text book’ sometimes.
My fave apologist is Jesse Romero…

🙂
 
Originally Posted by bon saul
My wonderful discovery of Evelyn Waugh, great English novelist, led to his most famous book, Brideshead Revisited. The first impression was a chronicle of the decadent gentry in World War II England, but it is really about the anguish even upper class Catholics suffer through persecution by polite circles who are usually Episcopalian. It is also about the mysterious workings of God’s Grace in the life of a Catholic family and the main character, a non-Catholic and best friend of the youngest son in deep moral crisis in the troubled family. Many similarities to pressures and problems faced by American Catholics in a mainly Protestant country.
I just finished “Scoop” by Waugh, his satire on journalists during the Italian invasion of Ethiopia before WWII, and am now reading “At War with Waugh, The Real Story of Scoop” by W. F. Deedes upon whom the main character in Scoop is VERY loosely based. Next in line is a new biography on Deedes.

Waugh is a brilliant and wicked writer (not such a great journalist, however). One of his great lines is, when asked how he could be a good Catholic and yet such a **#@!, he replied, "Ah, but were I not a good Catholic, I would be so much more of a **#@! " 😃
You might (now or eventually) be interested in a wonderful book about Waugh’s writings called The Picturesque Prison, by a Canadian professor named Jeffrey Heath. You’ll have to hunt a used copy down, but if you love Waugh’s writings you will love this book.

Oh, good–late add—check out a preview on google:

books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=uAZF4MszzoUC&dq=picturesque+prison+waugh&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=Xmc2DsTxJz&sig=Fzii4EppP_gLLv3xkSmpyoOUGX8
 
Can anyone recommend some good books on cd…by any Catholic authors?
 
Can anyone recommend some good books on cd…by any Catholic authors?
**
There are always J.R.R. Tolkiens books, especially the LOTR series and The Silmarillion. C.S Lewis’ books are great, fiction and nonfiction, although he never actually joined the Catholic church. I will check for some others to see if they actually made it to CD. Does mp3 work for you as well?**
 
**
There are always J.R.R. Tolkiens books, especially the LOTR series and The Silmarillion. C.S Lewis’ books are great, fiction and nonfiction, although he never actually joined the Catholic church. I will check for some others to see if they actually made it to CD. Does mp3 work for you as well?**
thanks for the suggestions! i’d rather have cd version, because i was thinking of listening on my way home from work. i listen to the rosary on my way to work, so it would be nice to have a Catholic authored book to listen to…I have Screwtape on cd, and it was very good.
 
just finished…

upstream: the ascendance of american conservatism

and started…

stonewall jackson : great generals biography
 
Behold the Pierced One by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger aka Pope Benedict XVI (just started it)😃
 
Currently reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. Very good book.
 
I got this book here because I was told it was good reading for Catholics who are married or thinking on getting married. It is called The Good News About Sex And Marriage by Christopher West. Has anyone read this and if so, what did yall think about it?
 
Actually, my summer reading (on and off) is:

Authority In The Church

-David J. Stagaman

0-8146-5945-4

It is very good so far, deep but good. 👍 :cool:
 
Catch–22 by Joseph Heller–I loved it when I read it decades ago and it seems even better now.
 
I started “Hidden” by Shelly Gray yesterday and am about half way thru.

Kathy
 
Just finished: Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters
by Meg Meeker, MD


Just started: God Came Near
by Max Lucado
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top