What book(s) are you reading?

• Thread starter Thread starter StudentMI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want something easy to read, try:

St. Thomas Aquinas: The Dumb Ox by G.K. Chesterton.

This is good too:

It’s the Summa in simplified form for laymen (yes, I have it 😉).

The Selfless Self; Finding Stillness, Silence and Simplicity, by Laurence Freeman

We had a copy of One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich (my brother had to read it in either high school or college). I read it and TBH it was extremely powerful.

“Hidden Mountain, Secret Garden” Dr. Anthony Lillies (A Theological Contemplation on Prayer - Catholic perspective)
https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Mountain-Secret-Garden-Contemplation/dp/0988627000

“This is a wonderful book. I’ve taught spiritual theology many years and I wish I had had this text use. In fact, I wish I had written this book. It is scriptural, patristic, historical, theological, mystical, experiential and user friendly. Dr. Lilles takes us through the spiritual journey of prayer, citing Fathers and doctors, saints and even sinners to guide us on our Christian way toward contemplation. Weaving many themes into a harmonious whole, he opens up the life of contemplation for all Christians, our baptismal birthright in a way that is accessible and attractive. This is a book one will read more than once.
FR. GILES DIMOCK, O.P., S.T.D University Parish of St. Thomas Aquinas At the University of Virginia”

‘Cool Gardens’ by Serj Tankian. It’s poetry that covers a wide variety of topics.

My hard copy of Fratelli Tutti arrived from the USCCB, so now I’ll be reading that too 👍
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

A Monk in the World; Cultivating a Spiritual Life, by Wayne Teasdale.

The Pope’s Legion by Charles A. Coulombe

Chelmno and the Holocaust: A History of Hitler’s First Death Camp by Patrick Montague.

Douay Rheims Bible

Last edited:
Mary and Satan: The Last Interview with the Well-known Exorcist (Fr. Gabriele Amorth)

I didn’t really struggle with it so much, but I honestly didn’t understand why the section on the grand Inquisitor was so esteemed. In my opinion, the chapter where Ivan talks to himself/the devil was much more entertaining and profound. When the devil said things like, “it’s not necessary to convince someone I’m real… just to cause a switching back and forth between belief and doubt is enough to drive a person to hang himself…” I really felt like it explained how the devil works. Of course, I’m paraphrasing. Just my opinion 😁.

The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World’s Religions, by Wayne Teasdale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back