What bugs you at Mass?

• Thread starter Thread starter Peace_Pilgrim
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not like people talking while mass is taking place, for me that is disrespectful.
People not singing when there is no choir, the priest is the only person singing, with you and a few others ( I don,t sing that well)and people leaving after communion.At our church, it happens every sunday.

Also people giving me funny looks, when my girl is crying. I seem to always end up in the entrance hall behind a glass wall. You do feel excluded sometimes,

God bless you all
jess

Priests singing (doing a solo). Most couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket. BTW, I mean no disrespect to priests; its just if singing is not their strong point, lets not advertise it.

In answer to why some don’t receive, I am currently awaiting the convalidation of my marriage, and I am not allowed to receive. So please try to understand that there are some of us who would LOVE to be receiving but may not at this time. Believe me, it is painful to have to remain seated.
In answer to what bugs us at Mass, dressing disrespectfully is definitely high on the list. This was the first thing my husband, who is seriously considering conversion, noticed at our Church. He is from a background where one wore a suit and tie every Sunday. I don’t think we need to dress to that level, but it would be nice to see fewer adults wearing crumpled T-shirts advertising their last vacation destination.

40.png
Joysong:
Dear Jimmy,

Sorry, I couldn’t resist . . . 😉

Eagles Wings is very appropriate during Advent, and I happened to think of this hymn when we had the reading recently from Isaiah during the week. It echoes his prophecy in Chapter 40, and concludes with verse 31:

“But they that hope in the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall soar with wings as eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”

Carole
40.png
jimmy:
It may have good theology and all, but it is not proper for a hymn during mass. If you read the old hymns they are all composed in a way that they praise God or exhort Him to have mercy or something along those lines. There are some that are prayers to Mary. On Eagles Wings is just a mishmash of statements.

I don’t bring this song up because I have heard it during Advent, I haven’t. I bring it up because it is the first to come to mind that fits the description.
tom.wineman said:
**Amen ! **

Soaring on eagle wings is best left to guitar strumming around night camp fires at folkie gatherings.

It seems a lot of people on this board love to bash On Eagle’s Wings by Michael Joncas as though it were a “liberal-hippie feel-good song.” I’d like to challenge those who do to read the Psalms, which is a book of hymns and prayers to God. On Eagle’s Wings is just an adaptation of Psalm 91:
Psalm 91:1-2:
You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
Say to the Lord, “My refuge and fortress, my God in whom I trust.”
On Eagles's Wings:
You who dwell in the shelter of the Lord,
Who abide in His shadow for life,
Say to the Lord, “My Refuge,
My Rock in Whom I trust.”
You may not like the tune, or the refrain, but it is perfectly good, entirely appropriate liturgical music. Jesus probably prayed it!

it bugs me that I can not say all the common prayers by heart, but I gues i will learn them eventually

40.png
ctybring:
it bugs me that I can not say all the common prayers by heart, but I gues i will learn them eventually
I hope that this cheat-sheet is of some help: catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/Mass.htm. Although I’m a cradle Catholic, as a foreigner, I needed it to figure out the wordings in English, as they’re probably among the worst versions of the Latin text.

:blessyou:

40.png
mikew262:
Priests singing (doing a solo). Most couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket. BTW, I mean no disrespect to priests; its just if singing is not their strong point, lets not advertise it

lol

What bugs me is calling it a celebration. It’s a sacrifice. Satan has won a big battle by getting so many priests and Catholics to forget about the sacrificial side of the Mass.
In the creed we say , “we believe” , it should be ,“I believe.”
I can’t speak for everyone.
The omission of the word man in some parishes during the creed.
The very short cues for confession, with evry man and his dog going to communion. The pope wanted this stopped.
The 1,000 kids receiving the sacraments of initiation and never coming back afterwards.
The fear most priests seem to have to preach about devils, hell, sin, the commandments, divorce, contraception and all the stuff most parishioners are doing that is against Gods law.

John Russell Jr:
What bugs me is calling it a celebration. It’s a sacrifice. Satan has won a big battle by getting so many priests and Catholics to forget about the sacrificial side of the Mass.
In the creed we say , “we believe” , it should be ,“I believe.”
I can’t speak for everyone.
The omission of the word man in some parishes during the creed.
The very short cues for confession, with evry man and his dog going to communion. The pope wanted this stopped.
The 1,000 kids receiving the sacraments of initiation and never coming back afterwards.
The fear most priests seem to have to preach about devils, hell, sin, the commandments, divorce, contraception and all the stuff most parishioners are doing that is against Gods law.
If you check the CCC the Church calls it the Eucharistic Celebration. Do you know better than the Church?

What’s your beef with the Creed?
The Nicene Creed starts We Believe.
The Apostles Creed starts I Believe.

Short queues at Confession and long lines for Communion. Do you presume to know if anyone apart from yourself is in a state of mortal sin or not. Its not for you to judge other people.

Most parishers are doing things against God’s law?? Oh really and I thought only God knew everything. It seems he has a rival in you!

=thistle If you check the CCC the Church calls it the Eucharistic Celebration. Do you know better than the Church?
The Mass is called a sacrifice as well…
some try inclusive language…thats wrong
The Nicene Creed starts We Believe.
so??

Short queues at Confession and long lines for Communion. Do you presume to know if anyone apart from yourself is in a state of mortal sin or not. Its not for you to judge other people.
**sure…one can judge behavior…I’d say Mr Russel is right on this one…**Most parishers are doing things against God’s law?? Oh really and I thought only God knew everything. It seems he has a rival in you!

It happens at my parish…and it doesn’t at yours…well…how bout that perfect now aren’t we 😉 :rolleyes:

40.png
thistle:
If you check the CCC the Church calls it the Eucharistic Celebration. Do you know better than the Church?
My handy little My Sunday Missal by Fr. Stedman calls it the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, the same term I have heard for oh, 56 years now.

The Nicene Creed starts We Believe. Again, in my old missal the Nicene Creed also starts with “I” and uses “I” throughout the prayer. Wonder why it was changed in the Pauline mass?

Short queues at Confession and long lines for Communion. Do you presume to know if anyone apart from yourself is in a state of mortal sin or not. Its not for you to judge other people. Making observations is not the same thing as being judgemental. I have heard priests making the same observation that there is a disconnect between the number of people going to Confession and the number of people at Communion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back