What do you think of NPR?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JChapel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to comparing stations that receive taxpayer funding versus those that don’t, it’s amazing how closed-minded and bigoted some people can be. If my words sound disturbing, that’s the truth talking to your conscience. Just because the liberal bias has gone unchallenged for years, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. People need to realize that the mainstream media has inherent liberal tones which attempts to try to skew public opinion to the left, which makes the truth seem almost wrong to the average unthinker. It’s Scary how much loyalty they’ve generated to hide their skew.
I have nothing against people ignoring the “truth”, whatever that may be, just as long as they are aware of the inherent biases of their news source(s). It’s these blind sheep that think that their news source is 100% unbiased (unless, of course, they are watching The Onion) that I can’t stand.
 
I have nothing against people ignoring the “truth”, whatever that may be, just as long as they are aware of the inherent biases of their news source(s). It’s these blind sheep that think that their news source is 100% unbiased (unless, of course, they are watching The Onion) that I can’t stand.
As long as they think and speak out against public funding of biased news, justice will be served.
 
why is everything “pro-homosexual” anti-catholic?

Why do you just practice your religion they way I practice my life?

I don’t lobby for you to have less rights, your church does when it comes to my life. I’d say that you church is anti-gay. Just because you want to irrationally legislate my life after telling me for as long as I can recall that I’m evil, does not mean I’m anti-catholic. I just want to be treated with respect and have the same rights that you enjoy.

In the context of the USA which does not allow for your religion to run my life, I am compelled to say that you have no reason to see yourselves in this position.
 
why is everything “pro-homosexual” anti-catholic?

Why do you just practice your religion they way I practice my life?

I don’t lobby for you to have less rights, your church does when it comes to my life. I’d say that you church is anti-gay. Just because you want to irrationally legislate my life after telling me for as long as I can recall that I’m evil, does not mean I’m anti-catholic. I just want to be treated with respect and have the same rights that you enjoy.

In the context of the USA which does not allow for your religion to run my life, I am compelled to say that you have no reason to see yourselves in this position.
The church is not ytrying to legislate against you What they are doing , rightly so IMO, is opposing the attepts by homosexual apologidsts to extend the same protected status of race,gender and country of national origin have to those who engage in homosexual behavior

If you feel your life is being ruined perhaps you should reflect on your behavior
 
The church is not ytrying to legislate against you What they are doing , rightly so IMO, is opposing the attepts by homosexual apologidsts to extend the same protected status of race,gender and country of national origin have to those who engage in homosexual behavior

If you feel your life is being ruined perhaps you should reflect on your behavior
Not this again…

What I think he’s talking about is not homosexual couple rights, but homosexual individual rights; in another words, doing away with discriminating against gay/lesbian/bisexual people just because they are gay/lesbian/bisexual. Issues like repealing DADT and allowing gay single people to adopt fall under this category. These issues don’t go against Catholic teaching, as they aren’t promoting homosexual relationships, just homosexual rights. In this way, I suppose someone could be pro-homosexual and pro-Catholic.
 
Not this again…

What I think he’s talking about is not homosexual couple rights, but homosexual individual rights; in another words, doing away with discriminating against gay/lesbian/bisexual people just because they are gay/lesbian/bisexual. Issues like repealing DADT and allowing gay single people to adopt fall under this category. These issues don’t go against Catholic teaching, as they aren’t promoting homosexual relationships, just homosexual rights. In this way, I suppose someone could be pro-homosexual and pro-Catholic.
People who engage in homosexual behavior have the same rights as do all Americans regardless of race,creed,gender or country of national origin
 
Look, I’m not in a position to challenge church doctrine, nor do I really want to, but while I’m not entirely for the democratic party in it’s current form, I see just as many flaws in the republican party, and I’m very fond of the idea, especially after my dealings in these forums, that church and state, religion and politics, need to stay divided. I see nothing wrong with the church expressing certain views on issues through its teachings, but more and more am I seeing its members seeking a political agenda, which is absolutely… perverted and contrary to the purpose of religion in the first place.
The inconvenient problem with all of these analyses and comparisons of left versus right or Democrat versus Republican is that the left and or Democrats have been consistently vehemently pro-abortion “pro-choice”] even in such aspects as partial birth abortion and parental notification. Whereas the Republicans have been generally consistently pro-life.

I’ll post a link here:

priestsforlife.org/elections/consequences.htm

And it’s not a matter of the Church being Republican. It’s a matter of the Democrats publicly and deliberately choosing abortion rights. They are vitriolic about demanding the right to have abortions.

The Democrats don’t give themselves ANY wiggle room.

That is the position freely chosen by Democrats in public.

On that basis, how can any Catholic organization endorse a member of the Democrat Party? [A few members have vacillated … personally against but publicly in favor. But they don’t even speak against abortion except occasionally to wish to make abortions rare, meanwhile shoveling approvals and money at Planned Parenthood. What they are doing is saying one thing, but doing the opposite.]

Then there is the issue of your First Amendment Free Speech rights … but you do NOT have the right to speak against abortion near an abortion mill … try it and you will learn the meaning of “pain-compliance”.

Where does NPR stand on the abortion issue?
 
The inconvenient problem with all of these analyses and comparisons of left versus right or Democrat versus Republican is that the left and or Democrats have been consistently vehemently pro-abortion “pro-choice”] even in such aspects as partial birth abortion and parental notification. Whereas the Republicans have been generally consistently pro-life.
(Further) off topic, this is why I’d particularly like to see more than just two major parties on the ballot, even if it comes down to a four-party system, with Democrats (far left), Republicans (far right), a moderate left and a moderate right party. The Democratic and Republican parties, in my opinion, have too much power, and are only able to represent a fraction of our population’s interests.

IIRC, the major news organizations made quite a big deal out of “the rise of the independents” after what happened in Alaska’s Senate race. Perhaps this has to do with a lack of options, for some people?
 
I suppose you are right. Nevertheless, I still find it a lot more educational and yes, palatable, than Fox News radio and the overwhelming conservative voice that seems to flood the airwaves.
The conservative voices have had to resort to radio, since they are essentially shut out of TV. As well, a high percentage of conservatives are working stiffs and small business owners who can listen to radio while they run their business.

Fox TV seems “conservative” only in comparison to the heavily biased liberal nature of TV. A liberal democrat, Bernard Goldberg, has written a series of popular books about the liberal bias in the media (print, audio, video).
 
The conservative voices have had to resort to radio, since they are essentially shut out of TV. As well, a high percentage of conservatives are working stiffs and small business owners who can listen to radio while they run their business.

Fox TV seems “conservative” only in comparison to the heavily biased liberal nature of TV. A liberal democrat, Bernard Goldberg, has written a series of popular books about the liberal bias in the media (print, audio, video).
The problem is that we have not spoken up sooner against the anti-conservative bigotry that has been present in the media for a few decades. Conservatives have been kicked to the AM radio curb while obvious bigotted shows like The View where 4 libs vs 1 conserv are self-promoted as quality programming. Sheesh. Some people have not lived in a time when it was more balanced, so they can’t “see” it because they haven’t experienced anything different. They actually believe that the liberal propaganda is somehow normal. Wow.
 
The problem is that we have not spoken up sooner against the anti-conservative bigotry that has been present in the media for a few decades. Conservatives have been kicked to the AM radio curb while obvious bigotted shows like The View where 4 libs vs 1 conserv are self-promoted as quality programming. Sheesh. Some people have not lived in a time when it was more balanced, so they can’t “see” it because they haven’t experienced anything different. They actually believe that the liberal propaganda is somehow normal. Wow.
Political liberalism is the most subtle of creatures. This media exclusion of conservatism did not happen overnight, but tiny little bit by bit over decades. Generally, conservatism is not nearly as polished in its approach, and is much easier to discern.

NPR woos you to progressivism using educated, erudite, syrupy voices and calm demeanors. They did not originate, but rather accelerate their point of view.

Our Lord stands between the sometimes brainless left and the sometimes heartless right (never thought I’d ever say that), leading both to the narrow path.
 
Generally speaking, the U.S. as a whole votes 50-50 Democrat - Republican. More or less.

The television media and NPR people by various surveys vote and contribute 95% Democrat.

So television media and NPR are unbalanced.
 
… "that church and state, religion and politics, need to stay divided. I see nothing wrong with the church expressing certain views on issues through its teachings, but more and more am I seeing its members seeking a political agenda, which is absolutely… perverted and contrary to the purpose of religion in the first place.
I’m not so sure people today understand what was meant by a separation of church and state. As Christians, we are required to stand up for what is right. If a certain politician or party will promote the protection of life, then it is important that we support that person if we want to protect life. It’s not only a privilege, it is a civic and moral duty because we are blessed to have a representative form of government.

The Catholic Church does not support any particular party or politician, but we as individual Americans with properly formed consciences can.

I have no opinion of NPR as I have never knowingly listened to it, but I do watch and listen to Fox News. In all the years I have, I don’t recall them attacking the Church for it’s religious teachings except for Geraldo (who is a liberal), but I have heard programs on the other networks and cable news channels do so on many occasions.

I prefer to listen to the Catholic radio station that comes in, although staticky, where I live. Best of all, I get Catholic Answers Live via iTunes at my desk all day - praise God!
 
Generally speaking, the U.S. as a whole votes 50-50 Democrat - Republican. More or less.

The television media and NPR people by various surveys vote and contribute 95% Democrat.

So television media and NPR are unbalanced.
Time to end their bigotry.
 
I also agree it’s a shame people on both sides of the spectrum often assume that you have to be a republican if you are a religious person with convictions.

.
Very insightful commentaries, GIR! I think it’s the human tendency to classify people into little boxes etc. That’s why I like Catholic radio - prefer to be free from all political labels, whether “liberal catholic” or “conservative catholic” or “socialist catholic”. Why not just a catholic who follows the teachings of the church when voting? I think political labels make everything relative: I’m liberal, you’re conservative and there’s no right or wrong - they are just different and everyone’s okay.

I like NPR for shows like Fresh Air, Wait Wait and Car Talk. They seem relatively free of any propaganda.

The news shows are a different matter: whenever I hear a sentence starting with “Catholic”, the story is always about the sex abuse scandal or the lack of women priests in the church. When the Pope visited the US and England recently, the focus of ALL NPR news coverage was on the scandal. There was very little discussion about Cardinal Newman and what he stood for. Even the recent canonization of the Australian nun focused on the scandal.

So I don’t donate to NPR anymore.
 
And where do NPR’s sympathies lie with respect to abortion? Abortion is a very important issue. We are not permitted to deliberately kill innocent people. And unborn babies are the most innocent of all. Yet killing babies is considered to be “sophisticated” by some.

And where is NPR with respect to capital punishment? That is, the execution of a person found guilty and after reviews and appeals confirmed guilty. Not exactly the deliberate taking of an innocent life.

So, where is NPR?
 
And where do NPR’s sympathies lie with respect to abortion? Abortion is a very important issue. We are not permitted to deliberately kill innocent people. And unborn babies are the most innocent of all. Yet killing babies is considered to be “sophisticated” by some.

And where is NPR with respect to capital punishment? That is, the execution of a person found guilty and after reviews and appeals confirmed guilty. Not exactly the deliberate taking of an innocent life.

So, where is NPR?
What?!?! Capital punishment is murder, just as abortion is murder. Innocence should not be the judge of who we choose to kill. Our children could just as well grow up to be serial killers, should we murder them to protect society? Should retirees, most long deprived of their innocence, be sent to out pasture like animals? Unless it is absolutely clear that lives will be saved, the death penalty should never be necessary.
 
What?!?! Capital punishment is murder, just as abortion is murder. Innocence should not be the judge of who we choose to kill. Our children could just as well grow up to be serial killers, should we murder them to protect society? Should retirees, most long deprived of their innocence, be sent to out pasture like animals? Unless it is absolutely clear that lives will be saved, the death penalty should never be necessary.
I’m with you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top