What exactly is scrupulosity? How can we tell if someone has it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zynxensar
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

Zynxensar

Guest
Hi all,

I’m having a difficult time understanding what scrupulosity is so I’d appreciate some assistance in getting to understand this better.

Scrupulosity, from what I’ve seen so far, seems to be when a person is so careful on not committing sin such that he/she looks deep into the smallest aspects to ensure that no sin is committed. But, aren’t some normal Catholics like this too? As followers of Christ, all of us should be avoiding sin the best we can so I don’t see how this is an issue…?

Secondly, how can we tell whether someone has scrupulosity? As I’ve mentioned before, there are some normal Catholics who do the same but aren’t scrupulous. Of course, I’m not saying that scrupulosity definitely isn’t an issue at all because there are some cases where it is I.e the person feels he/she didn’t pray a prayer “good enough” so he/she prays it multiple times. Still, it can’t be true that some Catholics who dive deep even into the smallest aspects to avoid committing sin should be regarded as scrupulous? Provided that it doesn’t get into the extreme like the example I had given above, isn’t it alright?
 
Last edited:
Scrupulosity is the specifically Catholic form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (or personality disorder). It occurs because of chemicals in the brain and is not caused by religion. An atheist with OCD suffers as much as a Catholic but obsesses and worries about different things. All with this condition should seek psychiatric support through scientific medical experts. In many cases simple dress lie serotonin uptake inhibitors will solve the problem. Talking therapy is also effective.
 
It is a malady of the ego. An ego is wrongly developed by ignorance of the objective. Not that they do not assent to objective preaching or books, but rather not being able to make a proper order in their mission to exercise the virtue of love. The operation or mission we are entrusted to by our baptism needs to be seen real by penitent or right in the eyes of God through his church.

Without the proper operation even though the gospel is accepted, nevertheless there is lacking a mature distinction between what is inside and the universal mission of the Church they are called to. They are trapped in an ego that creates in his or her self their own church, and their own morality. And thus, they exhibit a false value or false disvalue of the moral acts. The ego that fails to accept the truth, will create its own truth. And disguise the guilt with objectivity, this seems to me what scrupulosity consists.
 
How can we tell if someone has it?
“No one judges of them but by them” (St.Augustine, Liber. II de Lib. Arb., 14. 38) This is cited by Bonaventure in his Itineratium mentis in deum; 2, 9

The judgment that is licit depends on the knowledge, and on an investigation that is well executed.
 
Last edited:
…
I’m having a difficult time understanding what scrupulosity is so I’d appreciate some assistance in getting to understand this better.
…
According to C. Alec Pollard, Ph.D., Psychologist, quoted from International OCD Foundation Fact Sheet on Scrupulosity, it is:
A form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) involving religious or moral
obsessions. Scrupulous individuals are overly concerned that something they thought or
did might be a sin or other violation of religious or moral doctrine.
and
Unlike normal religious practice, scrupulous behavior usually exceeds or disregards
religious law and may focus excessively on one trivial area of religious practice while
other, more important areas may be completely ignored. The behavior of scrupulous
individuals is typically inconsistent with that of the rest of the faith community.
 
Last edited:
It is a malady of the ego. An ego is wrongly developed by ignorance of the objective. Not that they do not assent to objective preaching or books, but rather not being able to make a proper order in their mission to exercise the virtue of love. The operation or mission we are entrusted to by our baptism needs to be seen real by penitent or right in the eyes of God through his church.

Without the proper operation even though the gospel is accepted, nevertheless there is lacking a mature distinction between what is inside and the universal mission of the Church they are called to. They are trapped in an ego that creates in his or her self their own church, and their own morality. And thus, they exhibit a false value or false disvalue of the moral acts. The ego that fails to accept the truth, will create its own truth. And disguise the guilt with objectivity, this seems to me what scrupulosity consists.
I do not know for sure how I got scrupulous. I want to accept the truth and be rid of this annoyance. I don’t know why my ego is like this, all I just want to be is free from sin temporarily (I know I’m not God and never will be, and can’t be free from sin until I die, but at least a week should be possible) and I wish to receive the Eucharist free from sin. I didn’t choose this. I know that while I’m on this Earth I will sin, but I wish to avoid it as much as possible. Is that so bad?

You said that I created my own Church and my own morality, I’d like to know more of what you mean by that. Also, you say that this is developed by the ignorance of the objective, would you say this is deliberate?
 
Last edited:
The behavior of scrupulous

individuals is typically inconsistent with that of the rest of the faith community.
I do not understand. What am I doing that is inconsistent with that of the rest of the faith?
 
Last edited:
I think the notion that scrupulosity is a “malady of the ego”, while maybe technically correct, is not a helpful way of describing it. I think of scrupulosity as a failure of Catechesis. The scrupulous person wants to be pure and holy – this is a great thing! But the desire to be pure and holy is also a secondary thing in the religious life. We must want God first, and be willing to ourselves be failures if only God will be exalted. Thus, the desire to be “good enough” gets replaced by the understanding that I am never good enough, but God is glorified through my paltry attempts at holiness. (“We have this message in cracked jars of clay, to show that this power is from God, and not from us.”)

The litany of humility helps here:

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved…
From the desire of being extolled …
From the desire of being honored …
From the desire of being praised …
From the desire of being preferred to others…
From the desire of being consulted …
From the desire of being approved …
From the fear of being humiliated …
From the fear of being despised…
From the fear of suffering rebukes …
From the fear of being calumniated …
From the fear of being forgotten …
From the fear of being ridiculed …
From the fear of being wronged …
From the fear of being suspected …

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.

That others may be esteemed more than I …
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease …
That others may be chosen and I set aside …
That others may be praised and I unnoticed …
That others may be preferred to me in everything…
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may become as holy as I should…

Also, we should realize that many people are called scrupulous incorrectly. In the end, what matters is relationship with God. Anything that gets in the way of that – including the zealous desire to avoid sin – is something that needs to be chastened.
 
Last edited:
But I should note one worry I have about that litany of humility: I think we should ask God to deliver us from the desire of being loved by people – but not from the desire of being loved by Him. And surely being loved by others is a wonderfully good thing; it is just not what we should organize our lives around.
 
If a person asks if their scrupulosity is acting up - good hint. It manifests itself mostly in self doubt, but extends to doubts even in God’s mercy, but as a reflection on the self once again. It is unreasonable worry about the tiniest of details. And yes, it does seem to be OCD related, very closely related to various forms of anxiety disorder. Degrees of it are manifested in various aspects of life, but it can be the flip side of belief.
 
The remedy to any ego is the activation of pastoral responsibility with spiritual direction and confession. What benefits the scrupulous person is self-knowledge, brought about by a journey of humility and acceptance of circumstances. St. Philip Neri taught that the most effective means to pursue humility is by the sacrament of confession.
 
I’m open to there being multiple causes and brain chemistry involved, certainly. (Of course, our brain chemistry can also be changed by our experiences).

But just to be clear, my point about Catechesis had NOTHING to do with teachings about mortal sin. I was saying that God’s love has been insufficiently felt by people in this circumstance, possibly because of bad teaching.

That said, everything you said about your situation, as you understand it, is surely more helpful than anything I might say. You sound very insightful. 🙂
 
And that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ll speak to my pastor next time I see him
 
Scripulosity is not a Catholic only thing. It happens in various forms of religion and even just moral codes.
It involves not wanting to offend God even the tiniest bit (which is GOOD), but to the effect that things that are not sinful are scrutinized, or that which should be clearly venial is considered mortal sin.

It is a form of OCD, I suppose, and one aspect of it is intrusive thoughts. Like about morality or about God. Heretical things, evil things may go through the mind and the one suffering may think it is a problem with them. But we are not always in control of our thoughts. You are not a thought but much more.

My suggestion is to read up on what sin actually is, know the difference between venial and mortal sin, realize that you are not your thoughts and that you are not culpable for thoughts you do not indulge in, focus your background thoughts on Jesus (like a mental icon of His Crucifixion), pray, and do not worry. I think, as weird as this may sound, a good antidote to Scripulosity is a bit of legalism.
 
The confessor could accept the sickness of the penitent and do penance for the penitent. “Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.” (Jas 5:16)
 
My suggestion is to read up on what sin actually is, know the difference between venial and mortal sin, realize that you are not your thoughts and that you are not culpable for thoughts you do not indulge in, focus your background thoughts on Jesus (like a mental icon of His Crucifixion), pray, and do not worry. I think, as weird as this may sound, a good antidote to Scripulosity is a bit of legalism.
I have a friend who has the most detailed knowledge imaginable on these distinctions, and it doesn’t help him with his experience of scrupulosity. There is always gray area: “I didn’t do X, but I probably would have given the opportunity, since I wanted to (Matt. 5) – so I must be guilty of the sin.” This gray area isn’t dispelled by knowledge, but by God’s love.
 
Last edited:
In a way, but an improper one.
When one has strict guidelines to follow to label something sinful or mortally sinful, then it helps to realize that they are not something else.
 
Of course, all things are done by God. I am just sharing what helped me.

A lot of prayer should also be involved, as it is a spiritual disease.

I presume that your friend is worried about venial sin, as that wouldn’t at all be near mortal sin, which by definition cannot be an accident. But if it is so, then it is a great thing that it is forgiven by going to a proper Mass and saying the penitentiary prayer
 
Last edited:
I presume that your friend is worried about venial sin, as that wouldn’t at all be near mortal sin, which by definition cannot be an accident.
Nope, he’s worried about mortal sin. You see, as he understands it – and I have seen theologians agree, sadly – there are no venial sexual sins. (Or rather, all sexual sins are grave matter).

I vehemently disagree, and think that many sexual sins are venial.
 
Last edited:
What does he mean by sexual sins? I can see saying all sexual sins are grave matter as possible, but it depends on what is meant by “sexual sin”.

If he is fornicating or something, then yes, it is important he go to confession. But if he is just getting thoughts by looking at someone attractive, then this is a very different matter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top