I
Image_of_God
Guest
Excellent analogy!If I have the text book, but I never go to class and never hear the lectures, I won’t pass the final exam.
The Bible is our “text book.” The Church is our “school.” We need both.
Excellent analogy!If I have the text book, but I never go to class and never hear the lectures, I won’t pass the final exam.
The Bible is our “text book.” The Church is our “school.” We need both.
Hi,Excellent analogy!![]()
I couldn’t have said it better myself. The church that Jesus bestowed upon Peter WAS the church of the body of Christ. Jesus told Peter to gather up all the believers to glorify and praise God, in His memory.The title pretty much says it. I was reading a catholic’s post wherein he/she said that anyone who rejects the church will go to hell. I thought that was interesting because as far as I know the church is the body of christ, and anyone who believes in christ is of the body of christ. Christ himself says, “that which you do unto the least of these, you do unto me”.
But isn’t the whole point of having a denomination, in the first place, to reject what came before?I don’t think the “church”, as Catholics define it, is what Jesus intended. I respect what Catholics believe but I think it doesn’t matter what denomination you belong to as long as your denomination holds the Truths that are mentioned in the Bible.![]()
Hi,But isn’t the whole point of having a denomination, in the first place, to reject what came before?
It’s not as if people create denominations out of friendship and love for the church that they are splitting away from. Normally, it’s because they hate the teachings they’ve been given in their old church, and they want to come up with new ones that they like better. “Inspired by the Holy Spirit” of course - but either there are 60,000 Holy Spirits, or else the Holy Spirit has a learning disorder of some kind, with all the contradictions in doctrine between all the different denominations.
I understand how you could think that but it’s not how I view it. I believe we go to church to glorify and praise God and also to seek fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ. As long as the church denomination does not contradict scripture (God’s Holy Word), then it is acceptable to attend.But isn’t the whole point of having a denomination, in the first place, to reject what came before?
Exactly!Hi,
I am wondering if we have a different definition of where the Holy Spirit is residingThe bible says the Holy Spirit is in people not a “Church institution”. The people in the church institution or denom hopefully have the Holy Spirit in them.
The Holy Spirit first came to the Church at Pentecost, and was given to the Apostles and their followers.Hi,
I am wondering if we have a different definition of where the Holy Spirit is residingThe bible says the Holy Spirit is in people not a “Church institution”. The people in the church institution or denom hopefully have the Holy Spirit in them. Do you or the CC believe that the Holy Spirit lives inside those who are saved or do you believe the Holy Spirit is within the CC walls(so to speak)?
We have all this in the Catholic Church, without any necessity to divide up the Church - Charismatic Catholics, Latin-Mass Catholics, Ignatian Catholics, Carmelite Catholics, Eastern Rite Catholics, “Novus Ordo” Catholics, and all the rest are all still under the same Church authorities, and all following the same teachings, without having to divide into denominations.(ex. Someone likes a more charismatic style and another might like a more traditional one.)![]()
Hi,Obviously, the Holy Spirit can also work outside the Church, but only for the purpose of bringing people into the Church. The Holy Spirit would never inspire anyone to leave the Church, or to start up their own man-made church in its place.
Without a higher authority than your personal opinion, how would you actually know which ones are “teaching truth” and which ones are misinterpreting Scripture?I understand how you could think that but it’s not how I view it. I believe we go to church to glorify and praise God and also to seek fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ. As long as the church denomination does not contradict scripture (God’s Holy Word), then it is acceptable to attend.
Sorry about that then.Hi,
Yes it is , because I know people who have done this! They would make me so angry that they could pass a class with only reading the tex.I worked overtime and didnt do as well.
![]()
Hi,
The bible says the Holy Spirit is in people not a “Church institution”.
That’s where you turn to a church family to help you.Without a higher authority than your personal opinion, how would you actually know which ones are “teaching truth” and which ones are misinterpreting Scripture?
How would you know that it wasn’t you that was misinterpreting Scripture, if you disagreed with someone else’s view of it?
I couldn’t agree more, Blue Serenity.That’s where you turn to a church family to help you.
A good church will have good leadership that serves the congregation and educates them in the Truth, according to Scripture.![]()
Hi,Without a higher authority than your personal opinion, how would you actually know which ones are “teaching truth” and which ones are misinterpreting Scripture?
How would you know that it wasn’t you that was misinterpreting Scripture, if you disagreed with someone else’s view of it?
Yes I agree 100%That’s where you turn to a church family to help you.
A good church will have good leadership that serves the congregation and educates them in the Truth, according to Scripture.![]()
The Church is that community of followers of Jesus which was at one time led by the Apostles, and is now led by their successors.Hi,
Although I dont agree with what you say I understand what you say except the above where I quoted.
What do you mean by the Holy Spirit can work outside the Church?Would you agree then people outside the CC then have the Holy Spirit in them or is the Holy Spirit somehow outside of them hovering? Sorry Im trying to understand.
![]()
You personally? Just you alone, or everyone, each individually? And if everyone, then why are there so many different denominations?Hi,
I am going to write this then I have to go. We believe that the Holy Spirit is our authority guiding us to the truth.
I agree with that. When human beings think they know more than God does, we get divisions in the Church.When man’s word is added into the mix(tradition) that is where I believe things start to go wrong.
The Book of Genesis stands alone just fine, too, but you probably don’t just restrict yourself to the Book of Genesis.Honestly, if you take away Sacred Tradition, the bible stands alone just fine!!
I think that if you keep praying about it and studying it, you will find that Sacred Tradition not only doesn’t contradict the Scriptures, it puts blazing lights on them that make even the most obscure passages to suddenly make sense.… I have discovered that I can not rely on Sacred Tradition to necessarily be the truth.Im sorry and I dont mean to sound disrespectful, it is just how I am seeing it.
![]()
Ya know, something struck me when I read this. What “you believe” you go to church for is actually not what God has taught us to do from the beginning of salvation history. I probably won’t get my point across but I’ll try:I understand how you could think that but it’s not how I view it. I believe we go to church to glorify and praise God and also to seek fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ. As long as the church denomination does not contradict scripture (God’s Holy Word), then it is acceptable to attend.
Each person was made different and one Trinitarian denomination might appeal to one person over another. (ex. Someone likes a more charismatic style and another might like a more traditional one.)![]()