K
KrazyKat
Guest
AVILA123, the quotes you posted have clarified everything to me, thanks. 
I agree. Things are happening just the way they’re supposed to.What you posted sounds so good! I too am excited about our Pope and the way He is responding to the Holy Spirit!
Yes, your quotations are consistent with my reading of it. Throughout Evangli Gaudium he is talking to the rich about the poor. He described Evangli Gaudium as an exhortation, like a sermon. I imagine it as if he were giving a sermon in a big cathedral in a rich diocese. The pews are filled with rich families. There are no poor in attendance, they are at a different church on the other side of town. If there are, by accident, any poor in attendance they might as well be sleeping through the sermon. He is not talkng to them.I suggest that you read Evangli Gaudium (vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20131124_evangelii-gaudium_en.html#II.%E2%80%82The_inclusion_of_the_poor_in_society) where Pope Francis advocates on behalf of the poor. He teaches to the poor through living and speaking the faith, others go out to the most miserable parts of the world and start schools and hospitals etc. The Church provides more schools than any other organisation in the world. I have put a couple of quotes from Evangli Gaudium below. The most interesting (to my mind) is the fact that Pope Francis actually said we have much to learn from the poor (I underlined and in bold).
As one poster said, the Pope (and the Church) teaches the same message to all. I am getting confused about the purpose of your question given that people have answered it from different angles but unless you elaborate, we are not going to understand what you really mean by it.
I am not sure of your sources but thanks to another poster I can immediately offer one glimpse into his life as a Bishop washingtonpost.com/world/…888_story.html and I am sure that you will discover that many of his parishioners were poor (physically and/or spiritually). I would add that just because someone has a materially comfortable life, doesn’t mean they do not, or cannot help the poor e.g. St Nicholas. When I say help the poor, I mean by treating everyone with respect and dignity and finding ways to help and not just tossing money at them.Yes, your quotations are consistent with my reading of it. Throughout Evangli Gaudium he is talking to the rich about the poor. He described Evangli Gaudium as an exhortation, like a sermon. I imagine it as if he were giving a sermon in a big cathedral in a rich diocese. The pews are filled with rich families. There are no poor in attendance, they are at a different church on the other side of town. If there are, by accident, any poor in attendance they might as well be sleeping through the sermon. He is not talkng to them.
I intentionally framed the question broadly. I thought perhaps I had missed something in my less than careful reading of Evangli Gaudium.
I intend now to find some of his biographies and look for answers there but I am not confident of finding anything different. I know from what I’ve found on the internet that he did not grow up poor. He has never served as a pastor of a poor diocese. He has always lived and worked among those of ability and means who, at most, have chosen a life of poverty.

This link is broken.I am not sure of your sources but thanks to another poster I can immediately offer one glimpse into his life as a Bishop washingtonpost.com/world/…888_story.html and I am sure that you will discover that many of his parishioners were poor (physically and/or spiritually). I would add that just because someone has a materially comfortable life, doesn’t mean they do not, or cannot help the poor e.g. St Nicholas. When I say help the poor, I mean by treating everyone with respect and dignity and finding ways to help and not just tossing money at them.
Now that we understand where you are coming from, I am sure that many helpful CAF members will be able to give you links to help you discover more about Pope Francis.
Yes, he served various roles in the Argentine capital city of Buenos Aires culminating in archbishop. While I’m sure that there are plenty of poor in Buenos Aires it is not a poor province of Argentina and it is easy to imagine his sermons there also being to the rich about the poor. In fact, Buenos Aires being the capital of Argentina, I’m sure that the government was an important part of his audience.Here is another source you might like to consider : From the Vatican Site: vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/biography/documents/papa-francesco-biografia-bergoglio_en.html

Thank you. While this does not answer my primary question, it does indicate where I should look for an answer.Sorry about the first link. I’ll try again. washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/ap-photos-argentine-slum-honors-blue-virgin/2013/12/12/9a0f37e6-62eb-11e3-af0d-4bb80d704888_story.html
I think that you will discover that the Pope wasn’t popular with the government due to his irritating habit of speaking up for the poor and upholding the teachings of the Church
As a parent, it would depend. If my family was destitute and my children were cold and starving, fixing that situation would take priority over just about anything.As a parent I would put that way down on my list of responsibilities. First and formost my teaching is directed at my children.
I do think you make some valid points. It has been pointed out by others more eloquent than I that there are qualitative differences between what we Americans call poverty and that of other nations (and times). I have traveled enough internationally to have seen it myself.As a parent, it would depend. If my family was destitute and my children were cold and starving, fixing that situation would take priority over just about anything.
I believe that you are American (after all, you go by “Bubba”). Americans don’t understand poverty. Most of us have never seen it. Our “poor” people often have color TVs (an average of 2.1 per household for families below the federal poverty line), drive cars, and eat three meals a day.
Most Americans have never actually seen, with their own eyes, emaciated children. This is a common sight in many parts of the world. This is poverty.
Pope Francis is doing triage. He’s identifying the people who need the most help, and doing what he can to provide it. He sees the Church in crisis, and is operating in crisis mode.
It is possible to be both (and even at the same time). But, remember, the poor have pastors - there are MANY good and devout priests and Bishops who minister to them, but with very limited resources. Human psychology implies that the poor ought to be the most resentful of God, and the rich ought to be the most grateful. But human experience clearly shows us that this is largely reversed. So it seems that the poor are being more effectively served pastoralilly, and the pastoral “gap” is with the more-fortunate. That ought to be the focus of the Pope’s attention. How many of these effective Bishops of poor congregations spend 43 MILLION DOLLARS renovating their homes?What I have concluded is that Pope Francis is, and has always been, a benefactor to the poor, not a pastor to the poor as I had originally thought.
I deleted a good portion of your post and encourage others to go back and read it. I hope my answer will not be out of context.I won’t fault you for your suspicion but why not indulge the question? Do you think it an unworthy or improper question?
…
I can safely say that I find many opportunities to give advice and instruction in my daily activities, particularly when I encounter others with less experience in various subjects. But I have never tried my hand at teaching the poor.
I should have added that the greatest health risk of the American “poor” is obesity. How many other nations can make this claim? How many other nations are worried that their “poor people” are overly fat?Most Americans have never actually seen, with their own eyes, emaciated children. This is a common sight in many parts of the world. This is poverty.
PS If other nations subsidized the raw ingredients of junk food the way we do, to the point that junk food is the cheapest and easiest source of calories, yes they would have fat poor people too.I should have added that the greatest health risk of the American “poor” is obesity. How many other nations can make this claim? How many other nations are worried that their “poor people” are overly fat?
I would suggest you look up the mist common meaning of the word benefactor, and then consider that the Pope is a Jesuit, and therefore a man of poverty, and you would see your conclusion is wrong.I do think you make some valid points. It has been pointed out by others more eloquent than I that there are qualitative differences between what we Americans call poverty and that of other nations (and times). I have traveled enough internationally to have seen it myself.
What I have concluded is that Pope Francis is, and has always been, a benefactor to the poor, not a pastor to the poor as I had originally thought. There are important differences between the two roles.
I’m having a hard time following your logic here. If I seperate my children to give them age-appropriate lectures (potty training vs. sex education, say), I don’t think I’m insulting either.I would suggest you look up the mist common meaning of the word benefactor, and then consider that the Pope is a Jesuit, and therefore a man of poverty, and you would see your conclusion is wrong.
The premise of this thread seems to be that none of the pope’s teachings apply to the poor unless he specifically addresses them. To use the OP’s analogy, it is as if I have two age groups of children in my family: teens and toddlers. Obviously most, if not all, of my teaching of teens would not be well understood by my toddlers. So to teach them, I have to address them directly with age appropriate instructions.
I see no other way of interpreting the OP’s position. It seems insulting, in the extreme, to the poor.
Yes, teaching your children in an age appropriate manner is not insulting, but applying that same logic to the poor is insulting. Of course I would not deny that at times Popes, Bishops, and Priests provide teachings directly targeted at specific groups due to various needs of the Church. But much of the Pope’s teachings are targeted to the universal Church, not any specific group in specific. However, your position is that the poor are like your toddlers, they are only being taught if they are being specifically addressed with teachings that can only apply to them. It is insulting (in the extreme,IMO) to the poor to state that the Pope’s teachings do not apply to them.I’m having a hard time following your logic here. If I seperate my children to give them age-appropriate lectures (potty training vs. sex education, say), I don’t think I’m insulting either.
One reason that we have bishops and pastors in addition to a pope is because there are differences among people. Not only do the rich and poor face different problems and have different needs, the poor in one place have different needs than those in another place, as was noted in the post I was replying to (and several others).
The word benefactor has a more general meaning than simply donating money. See e.g.:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benefactor_(law. Whether or not “benefactor” is the most appropriate word, the distinciton I drew is a real one. Interestingly, the only quotations of Pope Francis so far offered in this thread confirm my observation.
Yes, Pope Francis is a Jesuit who took a vow of poverty. But that’s not the same as growing up poor or being the pastor of a poor diocese. If you with to crucify me for making simple observations, go right ahead.