what is the REAL reason why protestants reject mary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 6glargento
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the looked at the excesses that amounted to Mary Worship and supersitition and were repulsed.

There are many things that set them off: Mary Queen of Heaven smacks of the pagan diety; co redemptrix unbiblical; and seeing Catholics parading statues of Mary through the streets and attaching money to the statue (Third World) looks pagan. At any rate, that is partially why. It is the excesses and diefication done by some to the exclusion of Christ that set Protestants off.

RevDrNorth
You have hit the nail on the head. Many of the Marian dogmas, beliefs and practices are seemingly so far removed from anything we see in scripture that it just seems wrong. I know you guys distinguish between latria and hyperdulia (I think those are the terms) but for an outsider they both seem like worship of a supposed deity. I know you guys don’t worship Mary but again, from the outside looking in, it sometimes appears that way.

The other thing is that when you take the writings of such people as Louis de Montfort, who used extremely flowery language when discussing Mary, it’s hard to not think he worshipped Mary or at the very least went too far in his devotional practices and he is a saint I do believe.

I don’t have an issue with the perpetual virginity or even calling her the mother of God but it seems senseless to try to designate her as co-anything.

I don’t mean any disrespect to you guys but to an outsider, many of the issues surrounding the Catholic church and Mary seem very strange and just blatantly unscriptural.
 
I think they looked at the excesses that amounted to Mary Worship and supersitition and were repulsed.
Then they totally misunderstood what they were reading in the context of what we actually believe, since there is no mariolitry in Catholic teaching.
There are many things that set them off: Mary Queen of Heaven smacks of the pagan diety;
So I guess it also “sets them off” that pagan kings are called King of Kings in the OT too, yet they have no problem using that term for Our Lord?
co redemptrix unbiblical;
This is not dogmatic teaching and is anything but “unbiblical” if properly understood. Here again…those who criticize the loudest are the ones who have least researched the discussion.
and seeing Catholics parading statues of Mary through the streets and attaching money to the statue (Third World) looks pagan.
Only if you do not take the time to understand it. So far as I know there are no pagan rituals such as you describe and if there are they are very obscure. Why would a simple act of devotion and charity be so misrepresented unless someone had an agenda to criticize and find fault?
At any rate, that is partially why. It is the perceived
excesses and diefication done by some to the perceived exclusion of Christ that set Protestants off.Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
 
I think they looked at the excesses that amounted to Mary Worship and supersitition and were repulsed.

There are many things that set them off: Mary Queen of Heaven smacks of the pagan diety; co redemptrix unbiblical; and seeing Catholics parading statues of Mary through the streets and attaching money to the statue (Third World) looks pagan. At any rate, that is partially why. It is the excesses and diefication done by some to the exclusion of Christ that set Protestants off.

RevDrNorth
It appears that protestants get set off by anything. And how do you speak for protestants anyway? Ask any of them a question and they can’t agree on anything.

We Catholics have always honored The Blessed Mother. We don’t change our minds or disagree on every aspect of the Bible like the blowing of winds.

If anything, we don’t honor Her enough! The Blessed Mother leads us to Her Son and it is through Her intercession that we pray.

Be aware that you are speaking about the Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Our Savior who one day we will have to stand before.

“Oh Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee.”
 
Be aware that you are speaking about the Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Our Savior who one day we will have to stand before.

“Oh Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee.”
So Mary’s opinion of us will somehow influence our judgement?
 
Do you really believe that Our Lord who died for us on Calvary is singing praises for those who malign His Mother the Blessed Virgin?

:tsktsk:
 
Do you really believe that Our Lord who died for us on Calvary is singing praises for those who malign His Mother the Blessed Virgin?

:tsktsk:
Do you really think we, who don’t believe she was born sinless or was assumed into heaven malign her? Is this what you are saying?
 
It appears that protestants get set off by anything. And how do you speak for protestants anyway? Ask any of them a question and they can’t agree on anything.

We Catholics have always honored The Blessed Mother. We don’t change our minds or disagree on every aspect of the Bible like the blowing of winds.

If anything, we don’t honor Her enough! The Blessed Mother leads us to Her Son and it is through Her intercession that we pray.

Be aware that you are speaking about the Mother of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Our Savior who one day we will have to stand before.

“Oh Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to Thee.”
I am answering the question, I did not claim to be the Protestant Pope. I have worked around clergy from many…many denominations and have an accredited seminary degree so I have some idea about the objections (I am NOT saying I agree with all of them).

Also, I have tremendous respect for the Catholic Church (I am listening to EWTN as we speak). I have argued on other boards against the “Don’t call anyman father nonsense” and the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon nonsense. So I am no enemy of the Church. Love Life on the Rock, Life Worth Living, and Fr. Pacwa.

As to am I worried about Jesus being mad at me…no not in the least. I would not disrespect Mary in the same way I would try and not dispresect any other human being. She was a human being in my opinion who certainly was a model of service and sacrifice but no one in NT times bothered to keep too much track of her and what she said after a few Gospel Passages. Not too much dedicated to her. Paul did not go on about her and he wrote most of the NT. I advise you to look at scripture. I have no problem your being devoted to her just as people are devoted to St. Francis, Padre Pio and soon. It is however, Jesus Christ upon whom I believe and trust for my salvation. There was no caveat in John 3:16 atating I must accept papal directives on the assumption and immaculate conception.

***Side note. Early in life I converted to the RCC. In RCIA I asked about the Marian doctrines and was concerned because I did not accept them. The well respected man leading the calss told me not to worry about it it was not necessary to my becoming a Roman Catholic.

RevDrNorth
 
Do you really think we, who don’t believe she was born sinless or was assumed into heaven malign her? Is this what you are saying?
The comment was directed to RevDrNorth and his pagan diety response to The Blessed Mother.

Whether you believe or don’t believe in the Immaculate Conception or The Assumption doesn’t change the truth. But respect for the Mother of Jesus Christ should not just be a Catholic thing. I defend Her strongly and pray that one day all those who are indifferent will open their eyes and call Her Blessed.:yup:
 
The comment was directed to RevDrNorth and his pagan diety response to The Blessed Mother.

Whether you believe or don’t believe in the Immaculate Conception or The Assumption doesn’t change the truth. But respect for the Mother of Jesus Christ should not just be a Catholic thing. I defend Her strongly and pray that one day all those who are indifferent will open their eyes and call Her Blessed.:yup:
Sorrows,

Thank you for your response. While I do disagree with your church on various issues I don’t think I have ridiculed your faith, much less maligned Mary. Anyway, I appreciate your response.
 
So Rev DrNorth,Do you have a rosary? Do you say the Hail Mary? Are you saying that you are just on the fence or what?I see Mary as a saint as the others who have suffered much and do treat her as such! return from the desert
 
I am answering the question, I did not claim to be the Protestant Pope. I have worked around clergy from many…many denominations and have an accredited seminary degree so I have some idea about the objections (I am NOT saying I agree with all of them).

Also, I have tremendous respect for the Catholic Church (I am listening to EWTN as we speak). I have argued on other boards against the “Don’t call anyman father nonsense” and the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon nonsense. So I am no enemy of the Church. Love Life on the Rock, Life Worth Living, and Fr. Pacwa.

As to am I worried about Jesus being mad at me…no not in the least. I would not disrespect Mary in the same way I would try and not dispresect any other human being. She was a human being in my opinion who certainly was a model of service and sacrifice but no one in NT times bothered to keep too much track of her and what she said after a few Gospel Passages. Not too much dedicated to her. Paul did not go on about her and he wrote most of the NT. I advise you to look at scripture. I have no problem your being devoted to her just as people are devoted to St. Francis, Padre Pio and soon. It is however, Jesus Christ upon whom I believe and trust for my salvation. There was no caveat in John 3:16 atating I must accept papal directives on the assumption and immaculate conception.

***Side note. Early in life I converted to the RCC. In RCIA I asked about the Marian doctrines and was concerned because I did not accept them. The well respected man leading the calss told me not to worry about it it was not necessary to my becoming a Roman Catholic.

RevDrNorth
My dear sir, she was more than just a human being. Jesus included her in many of the ministeries he did and treated her like she was an apostle. She was a saint as much as John and I even suppose she may have tended to John to the very end so who took care of who? You need to come up with some better arguements on her behalf as you say you stated for the father image thank you very much!!! RETURN
 
So Rev DrNorth,Do you have a rosary? Do you say the Hail Mary? Are you saying that you are just on the fence or what?I see Mary as a saint as the others who have suffered much and do treat her as such! return from the desert
Yes I own two rosaries. One I bought in Nuernberg at a shop run by nuns. I have said the rosary even now as a liturgical clergyman (non Roman Catholic). I say it in the sense of the Communion of Saints as supported by the Book of Revelation. As an addition to the side note, I used to teach catechism classes when I was Roman Catholic.

I disagree with some Roman Cath practices and doctrines but have tremndous respect fro the church. I really am listening to EWTN and have books by Fr, Groeschel.

RevDrNorth
 
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 1 tim 2:5

Yes, mary is blessed. She is the mother of the flesh and blood of jesus. She is not the mother of god. God created mary not the other way around. When i am standing before the great white judgement I will have my faith in jesus christ not mary.

I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
 
Yes, mary is blessed. She is the mother of the flesh and blood of jesus. She is not the mother of god.
Jesus was God made man on earth. If you believe in the Blessed Trinity, how can you say this?
God created mary not the other way around. When i am standing before the great white judgement I will have my faith in jesus christ not mary.
Before dying on the cross Jesus said “Son this is your mother. Mother this is your son.” He ment that for all of us. It always amazes me, this lack of love for the Blessed Mother. Who loved Jesus more than she?

She had a relationship with him that no one has come closer to. What suffering she must have gone through, as she watched her only child that she gave birth to, nursed, and cared for His whole life, die a death that you won’t wish on your worst enemy. Knowing all the time that He could put a stop to it, if He only had said the word. Still, she never asked him to stop his suffering, why? Out of love for all mankind.
 
Odell,
In your response there is a lot of “you are wrong” - often without backup. I am presenting material you should understand if you wish to know why Protestants think a certain way - you should not just immediately correct what you see as error.
NO BACKUP are you reading what I post

I am going to call you out on this and then I want you to respond to my rebutal and then again I dare you to say I have no back up.

it says “**Yea **rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God and keep it.”

first of all you said NO rather that is not what the bible says it is not what KJV says

than I give you

(Luke 11:28) Jesus respond to a woman who says “ blessed is the womb that carried you and the breast at which you nursed. Jesus response was. “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it,”
Jesus isn’t saying his mother is not blessed we know she is blessed because scripture says she is. Jesus is showing us that Mary was the one obedient to the Lord. Mary says in (Luke 1:38) “May it be done to me according to your word.” That is the message that the author Luke is pertraying. Luke goes on to write that Jesus says blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it. Keep in mind also that Luke earler says that all generation will call Marry blessed (Lk 1:48), so Luke would not contradict himself. Jesus is showing that we should do as Mary did. To hear his word and keep it.

Luke says she is blessed in (Lk1:48) but then you say Jesus in Luke says she is not. Hello read why Jesus was not saying she is not blessed read why Jesus was not rebuking her. read why we must keep the word as mary did

Know instead of saying I have no back up. explain to me how you still get what you say out of this passage.

YOU CANT DO IT.

NOW WHO GOES BY THE BIBLE:thumbsup:

Then I give you

( Luke 8:21) “Who are my mother, and sisters and brothers?,” some Protestants like to use this verse to rebuke Mary. They claim that Jesus is rebuking Mary. But if you read scripture as a whole just before this verse in (Lk 8:5-15) Jesus is showing that Mary has rich soil and bears good fruit. Jesus shows us that we must be like Mary. Who is a perfict example of the parable verses 5-15. Who are my mother and sisters and brothers? Those who do the will of God.

You say Jesus does not see her as his Mother here or is rebuking her but yet Jesus is saying somthing totally oposite of what you actually claim.

WHO is the one with no back up?
deity. I know you guys don’t worship Mary but again, from the outside looking in, it sometimes appears that way.
And I can understant why but you should not have a problem with co anything we are all co redemtrix not co redemer big difference. we help by spreading the gospel. Mary is co redemtix but so are we.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top