D
Dakota111
Guest
Yep, thats important for a Catholic to Consider alright.
You are asking me to prove to you that the Church once penalised Catholics for getting civilly divorced then remarried…and now refuses to hear an annulment unless the civil divorce is done?So where’s your Magisterial backup supporting divorce …?
No I don’t believe that.goout:![]()
My point was that, although the union of a gay couple through sexual intercourse doesn’t naturually produce children, it is uniquie in its own right. Their parts fit together, too, and they are of the same sex. Being of the same sex is the part the heterosexual couple isn’t able to accomplish.At the risk of being very repetitive:
The marriage of a man and woman is unique in that it participates in the creation of human life. Is that worth recognizing, or is it the “same as” the union of a gay couple?
Of course as a Catholic, you believe the purpose of sexual relations is first and foremost to pro-create. I don’t beleive that. We have to agree to disagree on that.
Of course it is of value. I never said it wasn’t. It is different. Two things can be different and still be of equal value.Is that of value or is it just another thing equal to other things?
I think that anyone would be hard pressed to disagree with you. But…allowing (or accepting) that two people of the same sex can enter into a lifetime partnership that will generally be referred to as ‘marriage’ does not detract from what you have said.Sexuality expresses the full unity of the body and soul of the married couple. Sexuality is designed for mutual and total self donation. Love is sacrificial and fruitful.
Only the marriage of a man and woman expresses this fully and uniquely.
This is not something to believe as a matter of faith. It is simply a fact.
Equal treatment under the law does not make two different things the same, and when you claim they are the same, you detract from the value of the thing.goout:![]()
Of course it is of value. I never said it wasn’t. It is different. Two things can be different and still be of equal value.Is that of value or is it just another thing equal to other things?
If someone doesn’t want to call the legal union of a same-sex couple “marriage,” then they don’t have to. But that doesn’t mean that society should not be able to extend all the legal protections and benefits of heterosexual marriage to other kinds of unions that are unique in their own right.QwertyGirl:![]()
Equal treatment under the law does not make two different things the same, and when you claim they are the same, you detract from the value of the thing.goout:![]()
Of course it is of value. I never said it wasn’t. It is different. Two things can be different and still be of equal value.Is that of value or is it just another thing equal to other things?
And that’s the elephant in the room: the claim that same sex unions are the same thing as marriage.
They will be equal in terms of the legal protections and benefits they will now have. That’s undoubtedly what they were most concerned about.I happened to catch a brief bit on the TV news. Two women were walking out of a room after getting their marriage license. One said, “Now we’re equal.” That is the type of confusion we’ll be seeing more of.
Surely SSUnions also have the goods of mutual support (it is not good for man to be alone) and also a partial remedy for concupiscence (promiscuity is a serious problem for the gay community).This might be true, but only in the sense that it is a major good for parents to feed their children and provide for their education, especially a Catholic education.
You lost me a little here sorry. I assume you are saying a hetero who entered marriage prepared to abort children after the first is committing an objective evil by marrying? Maybe but I dont quite see the relevance. Perhaps you are just saying SSUnions are immoral as a means to achieving most of the goods of marriage because biologically procreative sex is not possible and the sex that is involved is intrinsically evil.However, the parent that starts aborting…
This begs the very question at issue here I think. As above the Magisterium has never taught this as a general moral principle (it is denied re some remarried who may cohabit for the childrens sake).Likewise, no amount of good in these relationships will ever …
Change that to “a few of the goods” and I would agree. The ends cannot justify the means.Perhaps you are just saying SSUnions are immoral as a means to achieving most of the goods of marriage because biologically procreative sex is not possible and the sex that is involved is intrinsically evil.
Then call me foolish. Such a cohabiting couple are to live in abstinence. I have never heard this desire to live in a marriage involving abstinence from the homosexual community. Also, there is the difference that when the couple does this for the good of the children, one is the father, the other the mother, letting the child have both parents under the same roof.It is foolish to assert that if homosexual acts are intrinsically evil then gay Civil Unions must be also and in exactly the same way and for exactly the same reason. The Church has never taught this and in fact itself contradicts such a principle in the way it tolerates many irregular remarried couples who should not cease cohabiting for a greater good (sake of the children).
What do you mean “settled”? I have a list of articles from the USCCB on the subject here.Nor has the Church settled the matter for SSUnions so far as I am aware.
Alright. The quotes I provided state that homosexual acts are intrinsically evil. Intrinsically evil means that by its very nature, it is always immoral. It can never be moral. That same Magisterial document I provided states:So when you provide Magisterial statements that clearly state homosexual civil unions in themselves (rather than homosexual sex acts) are intrinsically evil always and everywhere please come back.
So the only moral way to have sex is within marriage. Homosexual activity, however, is always immoral. You can’t have something be immoral and moral at the same time. Ergo SSM can never be moral and will thus never be accepted by the Church.“This same principle [respect for the finality of the sexual act], which the Church holds from Divine Revelation and from her authentic interpretation of the natural law, is also the basis of her traditional doctrine, which states that the use of the sexual function has its true meaning and moral rectitude only in true marriage.[12]”
Two members of the same-sex claiming they’re married, acting like a married couple, and engaging in the marital act would certainly count as homosexual relations, would they not? And here this paragraph condemns them.“At the present time there are those who, basing themselves on observations in the psychological order, have begun to judge indulgently, and even to excuse completely, homosexual relations between certain people. This they do in opposition to the constant teaching of the Magisterium and to the moral sense of the Christian people. ”
No. You’re arguing that there is no basis for saying that SSM is not possible. You are arguing that it is in fact truth and thus part of the Deposit of Faith. That means that at the very least, there must be a strain of this thought that can be traced to the Apostles and their successors that was considered to be orthodox teaching. Which means you should be able to find an ECF who wasn’t condemned for arguing it as part of the Deposit of Faith. I’d like to see such a quote. Because I have a handy book with plenty of quotations from the ECF saying the opposite and what orthodox Catholic teaching has said for over a millenia: that homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered. And as I’ve just shown, intrinsically disordered homosexual acts cannot be reconciled with the only way that sexual acts can be moral.You are asking me to prove to you that the Church once penalised Catholics for getting civilly divorced then remarried…and now refuses to hear an annulment unless the civil divorce is done?
They can be two different things, of equal value to eachother.Equal treatment under the law does not make two different things the same, and when you claim they are the same, you detract from the value of the thing.
And that’s the elephant in the room: the claim that same sex unions are the same thing as marriage.
Not sure that the nuances involved re the different words you use interchangably in your posts are helping.So the only moral way to have sex is within marriage. Homosexual activity, however, is always immoral. You can’t have something be immoral and moral at the same time. Ergo SSM can never be moral and will thus never be accepted by the Church.
You have jumped from the ends of marriage to the ends of sex! Very similar but not the same.Yes, it is said sexual union is designed for two purposes: procreation and unity. However, that isn’t really what is emphasized. The procreation is emphasized far more heavily.
I do not believe this argument will ever fly in the Catholic Church. If you were trained in Catholic moral philosophy you would intuitively understand why.My point is simply that while sexual union between a heterosexual couple has specific meaning and purpose according to the Church, so does sexual union for a homosexual couple. It is not the same, but it can be equal.
I don’t claim to be a theologian. And it’s hard to admit that I’m not even good enough to be an amateur. There are people far well versed than me on this forum. But truth is truth. I don’t need credentials to affirm Church teaching. So which ones then did I use interchangably?You may not quite have the theological education to understand the nuances involved re the different words you use interchangably in your posts.
Immoral actions are always wrong. However, not all immoral/wrong actions are intrinsically evil. I made no such interchanges with that. The fact of the matter is, whether you like it or not, homosexuality is intrinsically disordered. So is incest, abortion, beastiality, pedophilia, etc. These actions are always immoral. But don’t let me tell you that. Here’s a quote from the Catechism:wrong, immoral, intrinsically evil,
Such actions are called intrinsically evil by the Church.“1753 A good intention (for example, that of helping one’s neighbor) does not make behavior that is intrinsically disordered, such as lying and calumny, good or just. The end does not justify the means. Thus the condemnation of an innocent person cannot be justified as a legitimate means of saving the nation. On the other hand, an added bad intention (such as vainglory) makes an act evil that, in and of itself, can be good (such as almsgiving).39
1761 There are concrete acts that it is always wrong to choose, because their choice entails a disorder of the will, i.e., a moral evil. One may not do evil so that good may result from it.”
Is this a dig at Amoris Laetitia? Well, I’m just stupid lay person who can’t appreciate the nuances of the words I’m using, so I won’t comment.then you must conclude Pope Francis (and his predecessors) teaches heresy when he allows some Catholic remarried heterosexuals to remain cohabiting (heterosexual relations?) and does not require them to undo their alleged (according to you) intrinsically evil, always immoral civil union (called State marriage)
“Some, I know, seek to avoid the serious problems occasioned by the abuse-prone language used by the pope in parts of Amoriset al. by claiming that the pope’s problematic assertions therein are not “magisterial”; I think at least some of them are, unfortunately, “magisterial”. Others seek to rally opposition to those assertions by invoking the label “magisterium” in a way that seems to exaggerate the significance of the weight of the pope’s assertions. I do not think they should be exaggerated. I describe those assertions for what I think they are: flawed, easily exploitable, expressions by a pope, which assertions nevertheless pale in the face of the Church’s unbroken enunciation of Church teaching and discipline in this area.”