What is your Confirmation name?

• Thread starter Thread starter Erin_Marie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sorry to hear that you suffer from depression/anxiety. I grappled with it throughout most of my childhood. Through the Grace of God, I’ve reached a point where I can deal with it without medication. I will pray that through the prayers of St. Dymphna you will be delivered from your trial if it’s God’s will.

I chose Pius as my confirmation name. I had in mind Saints/Popes Pius V and Pius X and I couldn’t decide between the two… St. Pius V was a humble priest around the time of Luther, yet he remained faithful to Holy Mother Church and ended up becoming one of the greatest reformers in Church history. Coming from a strict Lutheran body (the LCMS) I felt it was quite appropriate to seek the intercession of St. Pius V as I work with fellow Catholics to end the abuses present in many Masses across the country. I have sworn my allegiance to the Church, and I seek his intercession at times when I feel tempted to cavort with folks from the SSPX or SSPV.

St. Pius X was the other St. Pius that came to mind. The motto of his Pontificate was ‘to restore all things in Christ.’ He was an amazing guy. Codified canon law, lowered the age that children of the Latin church can receive communion, and he sought to end the feelings of hopeless unworthiness that many people had when approaching the Sacrament that sometimes scared people into receiving once or twice a year. He was the first pope to really encourage daily reception of the Eucharist.

Pius X had a great love of Sacred Music and pushed for the restoration of gregorian chant and an end to the corruption that had taken place (integration of profane music into worship, as is the case again today) in the world’s parishes, particularly American parishes… And lastly, Pius X foresaw the dangers of Modernism and the damage it would do (and in many cases, has done) to the Church and the Church’s credibility. It would do everyone a great deal of good to read the encyclicals of this great saint vatican.va/holy_father/pius_x/encyclicals/
as well as his Oath against Modernism ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P10MOATH.HTM To the best of my knowledge, priests and bishops are no longer required to swear this oath upon their ordination/elevation. Imagine what things would be like if they did… Perhaps the greatest thing about Pius X is that he was not all talk (well if he were, he wouldn’t be a Saint, I suppose). He carried out his pontificate living as a humble priest, wearing his monastic clothing beneath his grand papal vesture, and he regularly taught Sunday school to children as well as catechism classes. The Catechism of St. Pius X should be required reading in any home with Catholic children…

Sts. Pius V and Pius X, pray for us!!!

Even though I am Byzantine, I did attend Roman Catholic School, and when my classmates were preparing for Confirmation, I still chose a name.
Mine was for St. Jerome.
(BTW…Eastern Catholics are Confirmed at the time of Baptism).

Go with God!
Edwin

St. Patrick, as my father before me and his father before him.

John

I chose Catherine for St. Catherine of Siena. I made my Confirmation as a convert and didn’t know a whole lot about the saints at that time. In all honesty I only picked her name because @ my Confirmation, which was a whole group of adults from all over our diocese,the woman next to me was choosing it and I always liked the name Cathy.

However, If I had to choose now it would be Therese`…she’s been such an inspiration to me.🙂

I don’t have one. When I went thru RCIA, someone asked if we should choose a confirmation name & we were told “No, no one does that anymore.” I had no clue what they were talking about anyway.

But now my 14 yo daughter is being confirmed and they are choosing confirmation names…different parish.

I’m nto confirmed, but when i am, I’m gonna choose either St. Cecilia or St. Raphael (Raphaela). St. Cecilia because I’m a musician or St. Raphael because my nana used to call me Raphaela and there is probably a reason behind this but i never had the chance to ask her.

Like Edwin I was baptized in the byzantine rite. I also attended roman catholic school. But when my classmates received confirmation I was not permitted even to attend because of lack of space. I have always felt gipped that I didn’t get to pick a name. But if I could I would pick Mary, after our Blessed Mother.

My confirmation name is Cecilia which is very appropriate because I sing in the choir, love the symphony and the classical liturgical music of the great masters.

Elizabeth

I went through RCIA in 2001, and I chose Elizabeth because she knew the presence of the Lord when Mary came to visit her. Likewise, I knew the presence of the Lord when I was in the presence of the Eucharist.

God Bless,
Iguana

I choose St. Joseph, because of his humility. :cool:

What surprizes me is that most of the people I know, do NOT remember their confirmation name. 😦

I even had my confirmation name legaly added as a second middle name. 👍

:blessyou:

Like Edwin and Mary’s Lamb, I, too, am a Byzantine Catholic and was Chrismated (Confirmed) during infancy. I have, however, taught Roman Catholic Religious Education, specifically at the eighth grade level, with the preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation being the primary thrust of the kids’ training.

I would relate to my classes how I did not have a confirmation name, but if I were to choose one today it would be Theodore, in honor of Blessed Theodore Romzha, a Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic bishop who was murdered by the Communists while in the service of Our Lord. My prayers to Bishop Theodore were quickly answered with regard to a close childhood friend who was diagnosed with colon cancer… and who is now cancer-free! 👍

Blessed Theodore, pray for us!

a pilgrim

Sir Knight:
Peter.

Want Paul as well but could only pick one.
I teach the confirmation class, at our parish, and each year a few of our kids pick double names. Also every year one or two pick a name of a saint of the opposite gender, a saint they really admire. Both practices are allowed, however when I made my confirmation, in 1967, we were told we had to choise a neme of our own gender.

P.S.: I still would have taken St. Joseph, as my confirmation name.
:amen:

Do parishes record what the confirmation names were? I have no idea what mine was, I don’t remember even being given information to help choose one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back