What is your favorite book in the Bible?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cephas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cephas

My favorite book is the Gospel of Matthew (though my conversion to Christ came through reading the Gospel of John).

I love the Sermon on the Mount! đź‘Ť

Right now it is the Gospel of John. I am a recent convert so John 6 played a big part in that and I am reading Theology for Beginners right now and in the early chapters he recommends reading certain chapters in John. Couple that with the most beautiful beginning of any book and you have a winner …

I say right now because this seems to change at different parts of my life.

Revelation. I think of John all locked up and he could not even see the mold on the walls because of what God was showing him.

My favorite book has always been James because it’s so hard-nosed. The Book of Hebrews intrigues me and I’m learning more and more about it. The book that effected my conversion, however, was Acts.

OT? It’s gotta be Genesis.

Tobit. It has an exciting journey, a classic love story between Tobiah and Sarah, a cosmic battle between Raphael and the demon Asmodeus, a happy ending, and it even mentions Tobiah’s faithful dog. What more could you possibly ask for? 🙂

I’m a fan of John’s Gospel. He has some beautiful discourses in there which are unique to his gospel.

Actually John’s writings are complete chronologically: John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word…” right through to Revelation 22 “Amen”.
Who is my favorite writer of the Bible and that is John.

As for the OT, Pslams. Timeless prayers in song for all ocassions!

OT–Easy–Psalms

NT–a little tougher to choose, so I’ll break it down:
Code:
   Gospel--Matthew
   Epistles--Philippians (especially for the canticle in chapter 2)
   And, as a person with a historical bent, I also love Acts

After shoveling through the “so and so begot so and so who begot” junk in Genesis, its a pretty good book. Tobit is also one of my favorites, im a sucker for cosmic battles.

Ephesians! “stand fast with your loins girded in truth” Shout out for Theology of the Body!

Numbers, so many hidden secrets, the roots of our “confession”, the perpetual virginity of Mary, etc

My favorite Book of the Bible is the Gospel of John…because it’s the Book the Lord literally spoke to me from to draw me to study His Word. “In the beginning was the Word…”

God bless you

40.png
Cephas:
My favorite book is the Gospel of Matthew (though my conversion to Christ came through reading the Gospel of John).

I love the Sermon on the Mount! đź‘Ť
Galatians

I really have to read Peter, I always read short excerpts and love them.

OT-Genesis, and samuel 1-2

40.png
weunice:
Right now it is the Gospel of John. I am a recent convert so John 6 played a big part in that and I am reading Theology for Beginners right now and in the early chapters he recommends reading certain chapters in John. Couple that with the most beautiful beginning of any book and you have a winner …

I say right now because this seems to change at different parts of my life.
John 6 was important to my conversion also. I had never even focused on it as a protestant and never heard a sermon on the subject. When I read it during my period of inquiry I was floored by how much sense it made in light of the Eucharist.

I also go back and forth in which books mean the most to me. John is certainly my “favorite” Gospel but I’d say recently I’ve been getting a lot of comfort from 2 Timothy so I’d put that at the current top of my list.

The Gospel of St. Luke, because of chapter 2. I love the Christmas story. đź‘Ť

Book of James – full of such practical advice: “Count it all joy when you meet various trials…” My life verse is from St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans which soars in its theology, but I love the simple, practical advice in James.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back