What is your favorite book in the Bible?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cephas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
NT:
James becuase its soooo catholic.
Protestants get tongue tied trying to interpret it away from what it actually says.
OT Job Its the most catholic of the OT books becuase of the value of suffering.
Dueteros Maccabees of course its quite an adventure story kinds like a Jewish Braveheart and its sooo catholic with prayers for the dead and such these Jews were definitely prot catholics.

I love the Book of Proverbs, but I am particularly partial to Psalm 127!

I really like the book of Daniel, not because thats my name, but because of his faith and desire to do God’s will :love:, no matter what; and because of his beautiful songs praising God. :bowdown2: :amen:

40.png
Fidelis:
My favorite book has always been James because it’s so hard-nosed. The Book of Hebrews intrigues me and I’m learning more and more about it.
Tobit is great and Matthew I do enjoy reading. But all St. Paul’s books are great…😃

PROVERBS.
Here are some goodies:

17:5 Those who mock the poor insult their Maker

17: 6 Grandchildren are the crown of the aged

18:22 He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord.

19:17 Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and will be repaid in full.

20:29 The glory of youths is their strength, but the beauty of the aged is their gray hair.

22:2 The rich and the poor have this in common: the Lord is the maker of them all.

31:10 A capable wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels!

There are many good ones, what is your favorite?

40.png
Esperanto99:
The Acts of the Apostles.

Anyone interested in early Church history must start there.
:yup: :clapping: :bounce: I’m not quite sure what the “bounce” emoticon means, but I agree with you so strongly that I just thought I’d throw that in, too. I have always been an enthusiastic cheerleader for Acts. If we could only read one book (thankfully, not the case), Acts would be my choice, because it is so (relatively) comprehensive. Besides, I must admit: it is easy to read!

And, as you say, to learrn about the early Church here’s where one must start. What more can I say? I just love Acts!

:amen:

Anna

The Gospel of John is my favorite because the ‘beloved’ one was probably closer to Jesus & Mary than anyone else, therefore, having some very good first hand knowledge…

I like all the Gospels, Ecclesiasticus, Job, Acts. They all bring something different to the table for me.

Hard to limit it to one, but it would have to be the whole gospel of St John. I know bits of it off by heart, and chapter one and the “farewell discourses” just blow me away.

The psalms are my OT choice, I suppose, but I dearly love bits of Isaiah - how could we not be in awe of the “suffering servant” chapters?

I could not leave out the book of Hosea. Chapter 2 was instrumental in one of my re-conversions (if you can call them that!) but I love the latter chapters of that book too.

It would have been most interesting if this question had appeared in a poll!
With my mania for making lists of my preferences, I was caught off guard by this question!
My favorite from the Old Testament is Job. Particularly in the last 3 or 4 chapters, I am lost in wonder by seeing the infinite power of God compared to the puny powers of man.
My favorite New Testament book is Matthew. I find it particularly attractive because it concentrates on showing the connection between Christ and the prophecies of the Old Testament more extensively than any other, and ties together Judaism and Christianity in a way that makes anti-Semitism look ridiculous.
I am working on memorizing that gospel. If the guy who did Mark’s gospel (and performed it as a one-man show) could do it, I certainly ought to be able to–I have always been good at memorizing. So far, I am up to chapter 23. It really does get you to pay attention to the message in a way that mere reading over it doesn’t.

Glad I’m not the only one who loves Proverbs!! And I am a bit partial to Romans since I took a class on it this year. Paul was so full of energy!! I’m sure that each book of the Bible will have a turn as my “favorite” at different times in my life though.

I’m finding that I like the book of Sirach quite a bit. It has a lot of useful information on how to live.

Since I’m an apocalpyse nut, I’d have to say Genesis and Revelation because each outlines major eschatological history, Genesis of the beginning eschatology and Revelation the completing of eschatology: the Church age.

Scott

In the OT, I was partial to Sirach and Proverbs, but for the last 2 months I have been doing the Liturgy of the hours and have become a big fan of the Psalms.

NT it is John and Ephesians without quesiton.

Bless you all

40.png
Stylteralmaldo:
I’m finding that I like the book of Sirach quite a bit. It has a lot of useful information on how to live.
When I converted from Protestantism, I was amazed at the great quality of all the “extra” books I now had to read. Sirach and Wisdom have quickly become my favorites, though they would be even more useful if I followed their advice.

What is too sublime for you, seek not, into things beyond your strength search not. What is committed to you, attend to; for what is hidden is not your concern.With what is too much for you meddle not, when shown things beyond human understanding. (from Chapter 3)

This seems to mirror another book (Proverbs?) which says that too much knowledge leads to a heavy heart. Ah, that I would heed the Lord’s words.

The Macabees books are fun, too. Lots of warfare and removal of pagan oppression.

Job rates a top billing for me. No matter how tough I think I have it, no matter how bad things may seem in my life, I just have to read what Job went through, and my life seems easy after that. Plus, in the end, God rewards Job for being faithful. A great lesson for us all.

which flower is most beautiful? so many to choose from … personally i like the gospel of John for the High Christology that is found there…

choosing an OT book, would be a toss-up between the Psalms, Sirach, and Wisdom… but if pressed, i would probably pick the Psalms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back