What is your favorite Classical Music piece?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jimmy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m partial to Holst’s “The Planets” and Mussorogsky’s (sp?) ‘Pictures at an Exhibition.’
 
What classical music peice do you guys like and who is your favorite musician?
anything by domenico scarlatti or j.s. bach. i also like john dowland as a composer. honorable mentions go to beethoven, mozart, chopin and rachmaninoff. oh and avro part.

my favorite pianists are mitsuko uchida, ivo pogorelich, and glenn gould. favorite violinist: hillary hahn.
 
  1. And although I think Wagner had a lot of evil traits, I love his biggie, Der Ring des Nibelungen. 20 plus hours of really good story and music.
15-16 hours, more or less, depending on the conductor.
 
You can tell that to my violin teacher who is Jewish.

The roots of Nazism are this:

Eugenics
The Volkischer and Pan-German mvts
The Occult
German anti-semitism
Russian anti-semitism
THE WAGNERIAN Bayreuth Cult
The Thurle Society
It doesn’t matter whether your violin teacher is Jewish or not. Otto Klemperer was Jewish, too. And so was Gustav Mahler. Both were major Wagner conductors.

The fact remains that Wagner was a genius. And Hitler was far from his only admirer.
 
I don’t think Wagner’s opera’s are very good. Too pagan. I’ve played the violin parts to those things, the music stinks to high heaven. Hitler of course love those opera’s. 😛 Wagner was pretty much everything a person shouldn’t be. Not to mention he was an adulterer.
Your musical judgement leaves much to be desired.
 
What classical music peice do you guys like and who is your favorite musician?

Right now I think Rossini might be my favorite. I like his The Barber of Seville Overture and The theiving Magpie Overture.
Oh yes, I fell in love with Rossini when I played (in orchestra) the Theiving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra) :love: Gosh I haven’t listened to him in a while, I think I’ll go pop him into the CD player! 👍 After playing that piece I also fell in love with the L’Italiana in Algeri Overture–especially the first fast part–it just has so much JOY in it! This is definitely my “feel good” CD! 😃

I also love Smetana’s Ma Vlast pieces as well as some piano concertos (Nos. 2&4, mostly) by Camille Saint-Saens. He (S.S.) was a very conceited individual, but I still love his music! When I was younger I actually gave up some of these CDs for Lent and it was a VERY hard Lent for me!!!

I am biassed against Mozart and Wagner, though. It’s sort of like seeing a really good movie but knowing that the main actor is living a very immoral life in real life. It just sort of takes away from it, and you can’t get really into the movie thinking they’re the hero. I was also devastated to learn that Smetana died of syphillis, I believe. But by the time I learned that I was already too much in love with his music for it to have too much of an effect. I pray for all of their souls! :gopray:
 
Oh yes, I fell in love with Rossini when I played (in orchestra) the Theiving Magpie (La Gazza Ladra) :love: Gosh I haven’t listened to him in a while, I think I’ll go pop him into the CD player! 👍 After playing that piece I also fell in love with the L’Italiana in Algeri Overture–especially the first fast part–it just has so much JOY in it! This is definitely my “feel good” CD! 😃

I also love Smetana’s Ma Vlast pieces as well as some piano concertos (Nos. 2&4, mostly) by Camille Saint-Saens. He (S.S.) was a very conceited individual, but I still love his music! When I was younger I actually gave up some of these CDs for Lent and it was a VERY hard Lent for me!!!

I am biassed against Mozart and Wagner, though. It’s sort of like seeing a really good movie but knowing that the main actor is living a very immoral life in real life. It just sort of takes away from it, and you can’t get really into the movie thinking they’re the hero. I was also devastated to learn that Smetana died of syphillis, I believe. But by the time I learned that I was already too much in love with his music for it to have too much of an effect. I pray for all of their souls! :gopray:
what was immoral about mozart’s private life? just curious what you’re referring to.
 
Kill the Wabbit.
LOL

Seriously though, I dont know much about classical music, but I like Handel’s Messiah very much. Ive listened to the highlights cd so many times. I especially like Worthy is the Lamb that was slain and the final Amen.

Btw does anyone know what are the individual “songs” called in classical music? Is it a movement? I am quite sure the overall piece is called an oratorio.
 
Mozart’s Jupiter Symphony is my favorite single piece. It always gives me chills when I hear it. My favorite classical musician is probably Arthur Rubenstein (pianist)
 
what was immoral about mozart’s private life? just curious what you’re referring to.
I’m not referring to immoral behavior but rather the political convictions of both of those men. Actually, I’m not too familiar with their private lives. I just mentioned the analogy to the immoral actors to try to explain why some people don’t love Mozart as much as they would if he had been more Godly. 🙂
 
Jesu, joy of mans desiring, and the hallelujah chorus have always been my favorite…
 
Mozart’s Jupiter Symphony is my favorite single piece. It always gives me chills when I hear it. My favorite classical musician is probably Arthur Rubenstein (pianist)
The Jupiter was given the name to that symphony because of the frequent banging of the Timpani. The nickname came long after Woflie had died. 😉
 
Right now I’m listening to a few different recordings of Martin Lauridsen’s Lux Aeterna. The one that moves me most deeply is Salamunovich’s with the LA Master Chorale. …Whew! Talk about refulgent.
 
I think i will have to tell you here that my favourite is depend on the kind of occasion or the situation I found myself at a particular peiod of time. so, any well compossed music is my music
🙂 🙂 🙂
👍 I hail you
 
my first exposure to classical music was Fur Elise by Beethoven. I was so impressed by it that my Aunt gave me an album of his “Greatest Hits”. It was then i discovered Moonlight Sonata and his 9th symphony, with it’s very powerful choral movement, which is still one of my all time favorites.
speaking of powerful choral …Carmena Burana 👍

i also really like the Slavonic Dances of Dvorak and Schubert’s Ave Maria.
 
What classical music peice do you guys like and who is your favorite musician?

Right now I think Rossini might be my favorite. I like his The Barber of Seville Overture and The theiving Magpie Overture.
I took piano for years growing up…I would have to say Debussy is by far, my fave composer. I also love Bach–hands moving so fast, and the sounds are so rich…the whole Baroque period is so…filled with majesty and richness. It’s like eating a filling piece of rich chocolate cake–while Debussy, is like a light creme brulee.😛 That helps me when I’m playing, don’t ask why.🤷

I love to play classics, more than listen to them…strange, no?
 
What classical music peice do you guys like and who is your favorite musician?

Right now I think Rossini might be my favorite. I like his The Barber of Seville Overture and The theiving Magpie Overture.
What a difficult question. My husband and I do this all the time to each other. 🙂

As to having a problem of liking a certain composers’ music because of personal moral problems with the person’s character, if you do research on many composer (and your average Joe) they all had some kind of disappointing sin(s). I totally understand feeling that way though, because as much as I love the gems within the hours of music of Wagner, he is a hard person to like as a man.

I really have too many to mention, but here are some that I can think of now:

Opera:
  • Almost anything by Rossini. I LOVE singing Rossini. The ensembles in Il Barbieri di Siviglia and La Cenerentola are incredible!!! And for obvious reasons as I am a mezzo, “Una voce poco fa” and “Non piu mesta”. 😃
  • Almost all Mozart operas - in particular the trio Soave sia il vento from “Cosi fan tutte”, Dove Sono from “Le Nozze di Figaro”, Parto, Parto from “La Clemenza di Tito”, the duet La ci darem la mano and the ensembles from “Don Giovanni”.
  • Richard Strauss - his opera “Der Rosenkavalier” is absolutely sublime, especially the trio and duet at the end of the opera. I was a total blubbering mess when I first saw it. (As to his Nazi tendancies - yes hard to handle - but as my former Jewish voice teacher and other Jewish colleagues have pointed out - it’s the music not the man. “We just don’t talk about that. His music brought you closer to Heaven” as I’ve been told. Kind of surprised me, actually, to hear Jewish musicians say that.)
  • Puccini operas - So Italian - Molto Bello!!! 🙂
  • Handel - “Ombra mai fu”, “Verdi Prati”, His 9 German Arias, gosh just about everything.
  • Connais tu le pays from “Mignon”
  • Flower duet from “Lakme”
Lieder/Songs:
  • Practially everything by Schubert, Schumann, Brahms, Richard Strauss (his Morgen and Allerseelen are gorgeous)
  • Oh, how I LOVE Faure, especially “Le Secret” and “Chanson from the Shylock Suite”
  • Duparc
  • “Oh! Quand je dors” by Franz Liszt
  • “The Salley Gardens” arranged by Benjamin Britten
Oratorio:
  • Elijah by Mendelsson
  • Messiah by Handel
Masses:
  • Mass in b-minor - Bach
  • Vespers Mass - Mozart
  • Byrd Masses
  • Palestrina Masses
  • Requiem - Durufle
  • Requiem - Faure
    list goes on and on
  • Exsultate Jubilate - Mozart
  • Laudate dominumn - Mozart
  • Cantate Dominum - Monteverdi
  • Ich Habe Genug - Bach
Piano:
  • Definitely Chopin and Debussy, but many others too
Guitar
  • Barrios Mangore
I can go on and on. I won’t even get into orchestral music.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top