B
Big_Dummy
Guest
what languagues did Moses and Elijah speak?
I think this is not a good comparison. The culture in the US today is not representative of the middle east 4000 years ago. If you look at Africans today, most of them would speak a good number of languages because of the close proximity to other tribes/countries that speak other languages. Its quite possible that those who lived at the time of Moses and even Elijah that they more around between their land and interact with many other people, that they would speak a number of languages.We see 2nd and 3rd generation Spanish folks in the US that speak very little of their native language. 10 generations would be difficult but with a little help from Above they could pick up their language again.
If you are referring to the transfiguration on the mountain – where all three were together – it is noted that what was witnessed was a “vision” in one account; eg: Jesus tells them not to reveal the “vision” until after the crucifixion. A vision doesn’t have the same rules of dialog that people would normally have in the flesh. The language that was heard is not necessarily the language that was spoken – eg: the speaking in tongues is a similar situation. (See acts 2:9 and count the languages listed, there are clearly more languages and dialects than disciples speaking.)So, what language did Jesus use with them?
That one’s easier than the last question! God called “SAUL” – so one language he heard was clearly Hebrew on the Road. I don’t recall PAUL (Greek) telling us any words he heard in heaven, even the third heaven.what lanuage did paul hear either on the road and in heaven?
I don’t think that “Paul” is the Greek transliteration of “Saul” in Hebrew. Of course, I’m wondering if I’m putting my foot in my mouth, as I remember that you have a pretty firm grasp of ancient Greek, eh?That one’s easier than the last question! God called “SAUL” – so one language he heard was clearly Hebrew on the Road. I don’t recall PAUL (Greek) telling us any words he heard in heaven, even the third heaven.
![]()
I never claimed it was.I don’t think that “Paul” is the Greek transliteration of “Saul” in Hebrew. Of course, I’m wondering if I’m putting my foot in my mouth, as I remember that you have a pretty firm grasp of ancient Greek, eh?
To be more specific, it would have probably been the Galilean dialect of Western Aramaic, one of the many dialects that existed in the region (the Samaritans, the Judaeans, and folks east of the Jordan have their own peculiar lingoes as well). It is by the way now long extinct, as most dialects of the Western Aramaic family are now. The sole exception here is Western Neo-Aramaic, spoken nowadays in only three villages in the Anti-Lebanon mountains of western Syria.Aramaic at times (Matthew 16, for instance). He probably addressed the crowds in Greek and Aramaic, depending on the number of gentiles in the audience, I presume.
Well, there is a Latin word paulus meaning ‘small’…I never claimed it was.
Saul is transliterated into Greek letter for letter. Where exactly the name change to Paul comes from, I am not sure. Some people had Hebrew names, but so the Greeks could pronounce a name – often a Greek “nick” name would be used instead. It seems to me, however, that Saul changed his name to Paul, as he is called Saul up and until a short period of time after being knocked off his horse. Perhaps it was to indicate that God had changed him, and had power over him – ? I’d have to look it up, or study it to be sure – but I’m too tired tonight; Possibly both of them are non-Greek names and trans-lettered (transliterated) into Greek … hmm… good question.
God bless you,
–Andrew.
I’m sorry, I thought you were indicating with your parenthesis (Hebrew) and (Greek) that the two names were simply different languages. My bad.I never claimed it was.
Saul is transliterated into Greek letter for letter. Where exactly the name change to Paul comes from, I am not sure. Some people had Hebrew names, but so the Greeks could pronounce a name – often a Greek “nick” name would be used instead. It seems to me, however, that Saul changed his name to Paul, as he is called Saul up and until a short period of time after being knocked off his horse. Perhaps it was to indicate that God had changed him, and had power over him – ? I’d have to look it up, or study it to be sure – but I’m too tired tonight; Possibly both of them are non-Greek names and trans-lettered (transliterated) into Greek … hmm… good question.
God bless you,
–Andrew.
Wow!!! Thanks for that info. Sometimes I forget that the United States is NOT the only place that has dialects.To be more specific, it would have probably been the Galilean dialect of Western Aramaic, one of the many dialects that existed in the region (the Samaritans, the Judaeans, and folks east of the Jordan have their own peculiar lingoes as well). It is by the way now long extinct, as most dialects of the Western Aramaic family are now. The sole exception here is Western Neo-Aramaic, spoken nowadays in only three villages in the Anti-Lebanon mountains of western Syria.![]()
I don’t know about that. Such seems to require that there would have been a base language in the first place. However, we should, as always, consider what scripture has to say on the matter.After living in Egypt for 200 years. I would suspect that the local language would have been the primary one. 10 generations is a long time to maintain your native tongue. However since Egypt was located so close to to the Semetic peoples who they traded with its not a stretch for people to keep some understanding of that language
So, what language did Jesus use with them?
Right, if that is the basic question, then it seems to me that all bets are off on this. Those events are miracles. Um, not much to work with for those scenes just on that basis alone.what lanuage did paul hear either on the road and in heaven?
It was sloppy of me none the less. You were right to ask.I’m sorry, I thought you were indicating with your parenthesis (Hebrew) and (Greek) that the two names were simply different languages. My bad.
Regarding the name change, you’ll notice that Saul is not called “Paul” until the Holy Spirit sets apart Saul and Barnabas to send them to Crete. In other words, He is not called “Paul” until he become and Apostle (is Sent).
I agree, that fits with my expectation of a name change. It doesn’t quite explain why “P” is used in place of S. There is no etymology (history of the name) given in those verses .In Acts 13:
2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
…4 So they, sent forth by the holy Spirit, went down to Seleucia and from there sailed to Cyprus
…9 But Saul, also known as Paul, filled with the holy Spirit, looked intently at him