G
gracelife
Guest
Mike, it’s more personal that academic.
Hi GracelifeMike, it’s more personal that academic.
Marantha(love your username),I think the Catholic Church teaches the opposite.
OK, thanks for that. Let me just say that one sense in which the Catholic faith is remarkable is how it all ties together, holds together, and surprises and delights you with insight after insight. So rather than “what else must I believe”, it is more a matter of “what other truths do you have for me? Gimme gimme!” Or, to use another analogy, rather than asking “how much of my dinner do I have to eat?” one finds oneself asking “please, may I have some more?”Mike, it’s more personal that academic.
OK, I think I misunderstood. We don’t want to through out the creeds. The dogma to Church’s teaching authority is one dogma. It is understandably an important one.Marantha(love your username),
What do you mean opposite?
What I meant was that it comes down to whether you are willing to recognize the valdity and submit to the teaching authority of the Church.
NO No, we dont want to throw out the Creed or change it at all… We understand eachother.OK, I think I misunderstood. We don’t want to through out the creeds. The dogma to Church’s teaching authority is one dogma. It is understandably an important one.
Here is a short version.What must one believe to be Catholic? A checklist would be great!![]()
to become Catholic you must make a profession of faith in the dogma expressed in the Nicene Creed. that is the checklist.Got the catechsim and the compendium. lol
Believe the Nicene creed, albiet not sure about Catholic with the capitol C.
For starters, which dogmas must one believe.
Cardinal Shoenburg points out the opposite of what is posted here. If you look at the creed in the latin you will see that is says:This is why essentially the Apostle’s Ceed could be stripped down to the one sentence- I believe IN the Catholic Chuch.
Did you mean to say errant with regard to the scriptures? What do you mean by that?The Creeds Apostles and Nicene
Trinity
The Catholic Church is the Church founded by Christ
Scripture is the errant Word of God
Salvation: Best of all, the promise of eternal life is a gift, freely offered to us by God (CCC 1727). Our initial forgiveness and justification are not things we “earn” (CCC 2010). Jesus is the mediator who bridged the gap of sin that separates us from God (1 Tim. 2:5); he bridged it by dying for us. He has chosen to make us partners in the plan of salvation (1 Cor. 3:9). Since no gift can be forced on the recipient—gifts always can be rejected—even after we become justified, we can throw away the gift of salvation. We throw it away through grave (mortal) sin (John 15:5–6, Rom. 11:22–23, 1 Cor. 15:1–2; CCC 1854–1863). Paul tells us, “The wages of sin is death” (Rom. 6:23). Source: catholic.com/library/Pillar.asp
Seven Sacraments: Baptism, Eucharist, Confirmation, Holy Order, Marriage, Anointing of Sick, and Reconciliation (Confession)
The Eucharist (after consecration) IS the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus
Sin: Mortal; Venial
Mary: Mother of God, always virgin, Immaculate Conception and Assumption
The Magisterium
Heaven, Hell, Purgatory
Social Things: No Abortion; No ABC; No death penalty
That is all that comes to mind now… if I thought about it more about I would think of more:
I just did think of more the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: wisdom, understanding, knowledge, counsel, fortitude, piety and fear of the Lord.
OP, you mention have a copy of the CCC, everything I mention is in the CCC and of course we know there is a much more to the CCC then just this small list.
May I suggest the book: Catholicism for Dummies It has helped many of my non-catholic friends understand the Catholic Faith much better. I have a few that don’t agree with some of it, such as abortion and ABC, however they do understand my faith better, which has helped them understand me better.
This web-page may also help you.
amm.org/chss/chss.htm
Hmmm…Is that true? Consider the abolitionists in 1830. They disagreed with the slavery laws of the U.S., yet they still remained U.S. citizens.If one’s going to be something, I think, they should believe all of it.
He meant “inerrant.” “Errant” was just a typo, no doubt.Did you mean to say errant with regard to the scriptures? What do you mean by that?
Good stuff, by the way.
Thanks everyone for your (name removed by moderator)ut.
However, if you were to ask what we must believe to be baptized, then we would have to say that it is the the content of the Apostles’ Creed, because the person to be baptized has to confess to those truths.ACT OF FAITH
O MY GOD, I firmly believe that Thou art one God in Three Divine Persons, Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I believe that Thy Divine Son became Man, and died for our sins, and that He will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe these and all the truths which the Holy Catholic Church teaches, because Thou hast revealed them, Who canst neither deceive nor be deceived.
First, I’d like to say your inquiry is one that many Catholics have to answer too when their ideas begin to conflict with the Church’s. It’s a major swallowing of pride to conform to the Church (I know, I’ve had to do it many times). That catechism isn’t required reading, but it is a sign of following the Holy Spirit if you go to it for answers when a teaching troubles you. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth and Paul calls the church the Pillar of Truth.As a protestant I believe those 10 things, except #4 is interpreted differently.
Do we have any historical evidences for how
One, Holy Catholic, Apostolic is to be understood
I could say and realized Catholics may disagree to an extent.
One church (including “separated brethren”)
Holy (holy in Christ)
Catholic (universal, including “separated brethren”)
Apostolic (based on the Apostle’s teaching)
Sorry type-oDid you mean to say errant with regard to the scriptures? What do you mean by that?
Good stuff, by the way.
Thanks everyone for your (name removed by moderator)ut.