What to do during receiving communion in the hand?

  • Thread starter Thread starter StillWondering
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Polish Catholics are more bound by tradition than the Holy See :getholy:
Actually, what happens is that a national conference of a nations bishops petition the Holy See, which either grants the indult or declines it. So Poland’s bishops requested it.
 
Actually, what happens is that a national conference of a nations bishops petition the Holy See, which either grants the indult or declines it. So Poland’s bishops requested it.
I am not questioning the facts. It is of course allowed to receive communion in the hand in Poland, but I suppose people are simply not willing to.
 
Of course, receiving on the tongue or in the hand there may be a chance that small fragments are left on the priest’s (or deacon’s or EMHC’s) hand…then what would you do?
The only time I ever saw ‘flaky’ hosts (when I was visiting a parish), the deacon distributing just rubbed his fingers together over the ciborium, so any crumbs fell into it.
 
If you constantly see fragments left on your hand then maybe the pastor needs to buy hosts from another source. The ones we get rarely leave crumbs or even the tiniest visible fragments, even in the ciborium.
With the hosts that are made today, crumbs are rarely a problem. The only time I ever had issues with That that appeared to be crumbs (I now receive on the tongue) was when I was given a portion of the Host the celebrant had fractioned (and if he had consumed the whole of It, it wouldn’t have been an issue).
The only time I ever saw ‘flaky’ hosts (when I was visiting a parish), the deacon distributing just rubbed his fingers together over the ciborium, so any crumbs fell into it.
I know we’ve been over this in other similar threads but another thing to consider are all the particles that cannot be seen.
Some have suggested that if the particles are too small it is no longer Jesus.
Well, here’s the cut-off point? Before being consumed, when does the Blessed Sacrament stop being the King of the Universe? Due to this uncertainty I feel that communion in the hand is basically ‘risky business’ so to speak. How do we know that we are not leaving our Lord behind on the back of the pew or on our pants?

An aside:

I’m really disappointed with the casual treatment of the Blessed Sacrament.

Imagine a Mass where only consecrated hands touched our Lord
… where everyone knelt and received on the tongue
… where the Blessed Sacrament was kept front and centre on the high altar
… where we didn’t use everyday language because we want to show reverence and great love and respect for our Lord and Saviour.

What have we today? I cannot look up as my fellow parishoners receive. And I know that most of them are more holy than I am. But the diminished reverence really, really gets to me.
 
Why don’t you gust receive the Eucharist on the tongue. Like most orthodox Catholics do.
In all the parishes I’ve attended the vast majority in the U.S. receive in the hand. Where are you from? Or where do you experience the majority of Catholic receiving on the tongue? Just curious.
 
I’m not:)!

And the indult to receive Communion in the hand was extended by the Holy See to Poland in 2007.
In the United States it’s not an indult. It’s part of liturgical law, not an exception to it.
 
I

Again, this is just my own personal choice. I do not believe that it is against the Church’s teachings to take Christ in the hand.
You can believe what you want, but in the U.S. Church law allows communion to be received in the hand or on the tongue.
 
Some have suggested that if the particles are too small it is no longer Jesus.
And they’re wrong. I’ve posted under a thread on the other forum that I have read these comments as well. But I point out that the electric circuitry which can store this entire thread on your computer can be the size of a few angstroms (how do they manufacture this?) so how can anyone say that very small particles of Jesus don’t count? 👍
 
I was accustomed to both personally, until I understood the importance of receiving Christ rather than taking Him and ‘feeding’ myself with Him. This is just a personal ‘pet peeve’ of mine. I do understand why most Catholic Churches today give communion on the hand. Rather than risk “missing the mark” and having Christ tumble to the ground, people have started receiving on the hand. But that was only after Vatican II passed and many western parishes began giving it in the hand and took away the need for altar servers with patens, or diskos, used for just this purpose. Also, communion rails were taken out as well, which made it MUCH easier with the communion rail for the priest to give communion on the tongue. People were kneeling and the paten was directly under the person’s mouth, leaving little room for a ‘spill up’. After these things were taken out, people just flocked up directly to the priest standing there, and not bowing or kneeling to honor our Savior, Jesus Christ. It has become so impersonal and just another ‘ritual’ that has no meaning anymore. That’s just my beef… 😉

I attend a Catholic Parish that still has those traditional sacramentals, which in my mind and soul, makes sense. It gives the person the CHOICE to take Christ or, receive Him on the tongue.

Again, this is just my own personal choice. I do not believe that it is against the Church’s teachings to take Christ in the hand. They accept either or. And to lick your hand? That’s usually what I do if I receive communion from a Eucharistic minister. It’s hard to tell if they’re accustomed to giving it that way and they seem to get angry when I do receive from them on the tongue. So I usually do my best to judge which side the priest will be giving communion and go to him instead, rather than frustrate someone by my own personal choices as a Catholic.

Hope that helps, or maybe it doesn’t and I just rambled on for nothing! Thanks for reading anyhow! 🙂 God bless!
As a long time server I saw more hosts flying around when the priests were putting them into mouths (in a shorter time period as well) than into hands.

Besides we can’t hurt Jesus and He doesn’t get hurt when He is in little tiny bits etc.etc.

Don’t worry about Jesus, worry about doing what He taught us to do.

Peace
 
As a long time server I saw more hosts flying around when the priests were putting them into mouths (in a shorter time period as well) than into hands.

Besides we can’t hurt Jesus and He doesn’t get hurt when He is in little tiny bits etc.etc.
What, you belong to some circus? What do you mean we can’t hurt Jesus? :confused:

Why bother going to Church at all?
 
I know we’ve been over this in other similar threads but another thing to consider are all the particles that cannot be seen.
Some have suggested that if the particles are too small it is no longer Jesus.
Well, here’s the cut-off point? Before being consumed, when does the Blessed Sacrament stop being the King of the Universe? Due to this uncertainty I feel that communion in the hand is basically ‘risky business’ so to speak. How do we know that we are not leaving our Lord behind on the back of the pew or on our pants?

An aside:

I’m really disappointed with the casual treatment of the Blessed Sacrament.

Imagine a Mass where only consecrated hands touched our Lord
… where everyone knelt and received on the tongue
… where the Blessed Sacrament was kept front and centre on the high altar
… where we didn’t use everyday language because we want to show reverence and great love and respect for our Lord and Saviour.

What have we today? I cannot look up as my fellow parishoners receive. And I know that most of them are more holy than I am. But the diminished reverence really, really gets to me.
The Church teaches that any particle too small to retain the appearance of bread no longer retains its identity as the Blessed Sacrament. That’s the cut-off point. That it might differ, depending on your eyesight, was undoubtedly considered. You are bound to do your best, and not bound to do better.
 
In all the parishes I’ve attended the vast majority in the U.S. receive in the hand. Where are you from? Or where do you experience the majority of Catholic receiving on the tongue? Just curious.
I’ve been to MANY parishes where they still follow the Holy See and give communion on the tongue, where MANY true Catholics understand that the Holy See ASKS us to receive the traditional way, but that there are a few ‘flakes’ (more than ever) that receive in the hand. It’s not enforced, whatsoever, by the parish priest and not mentioned at all. I’ve seen the results of a parish priest asking his fellow parishioners to follow what our Catholic Church asks of us and receive on the tongue if they are able, and what does he get? Shipped off to a third world country. Their reasoning. “We don’t want things to change. We like things the way we’ve made them to be and nobody’s going to change that!” We call these people heretics.

I don’t make it a point to watch every single person going to communion to see if they receive one way or the other, do you? By your obvious statement, you must. If you know, it is a western tradition to receive communion in the hand. Not eastern. We started it without permission of the Holy See. It would be like allowing guns to be distributed freely, and people using them on each other when it is well stated that, “thou shall not kill”. Of course, it’s not enforced by western parishes. Those that do have communion rails, patens for the alter ‘boys’ (who are dressed in their alb.) still have communion given on the tongue. Of course you can go to any parish and ask to get communion on the tongue, because it is the norm, it’s what’s asked of us, so to be refused is wrong.

I went to Mass in Toronto, Canada, and was told this as I approached a female eucharistic minister. “In THE HAND!”, she said. She even looked at me with scorn in her facial experssion! I said, “Oh, is it because of H1N1?” She didn’t answer. I later found out that the parish bulletin said it WAS because of this. They also took out the holy water as one enters the Church because of ‘fear’ of transmitting disease. Goes to show how much they believe in Holy water and the Eucharist and their healing powers! Makes me sick in the pit of my stomach.

Of course, the Holy See doesn’t accept much of what the Conference of Canadian Bishops passes as ‘legitimate’ in our Faith, but then, if the Holy See did, what kind of SCHISM would there be? It’s like raising a child and giving them what they want, then trying to reprimand them for their bad behavior, when in the end it was allowed. Can you say rebellion? Ha ha (no laughing matter).

Here’s a website you may be interested in. Maybe it will help one to understand WHY communion is asked to be received on the tongue. God bless and stay Catholic!

scripturecatholic.xanga.com/703038688/9-what-are-we-to-think-of-%E2%80%9Ccommunion-in-the-hand%E2%80%9D/

A quote from this site:

“According to Memoriale Domini (promulgated under the pontificate of Paul VI in 1969), the only time Communion in the hand is permissible is when the practice (which the pope calls a “contrary usage”) has already been established (usually through disobedience), and only then where the appropriate episcopal conference approves the usage by a secret 2/3 vote, which must then be reviewed and approved by the Holy See. Communion on the tongue (sub lingua) is still the universal law of the Church. Incidentally, even though Communion in the hand is now a pervasive practice throughout the United States in Novus Ordo parishes, the United States was not one of those places where Communion in the hand was an established practice before Memoriale Domini.”

Hope this helps! God bless!👍
 
You can believe what you want, but in the U.S. Church law allows communion to be received in the hand or on the tongue.
I know that it does. Hence me saying it’s okay to receive in the hand, as long as your intention is to actually receive Christ. The Holy See promulgates receiving on the tongue.

“According to Memoriale Domini (promulgated under the pontificate of Paul VI in 1969), the only time Communion in the hand is permissible is when the practice (which the pope calls a “contrary usage”) has already been established (usually through disobedience), and only then where the appropriate episcopal conference approves the usage by a secret 2/3 vote, which must then be reviewed and approved by the Holy See. Communion on the tongue (sub lingua) is still the universal law of the Church. Incidentally, even though Communion in the hand is now a pervasive practice throughout the United States in Novus Ordo parishes, the United States was not one of those places where Communion in the hand was an established practice before Memoriale Domini.”

scripturecatholic.xanga.com/703038688/9-what-are-we-to-think-of-%E2%80%9Ccommunion-in-the-hand%E2%80%9D/

I felt compelled to repeat that, just in case some may not have seen it. 😉
 
And they’re wrong. I’ve posted under a thread on the other forum that I have read these comments as well. But I point out that the electric circuitry which can store this entire thread on your computer can be the size of a few angstroms (how do they manufacture this?) so how can anyone say that very small particles of Jesus don’t count? 👍
ever wondered what happened to the crumbs during the Last Supper?
 
I know we’ve been over this in other similar threads but another thing to consider are all the particles that cannot be seen.
Some have suggested that if the particles are too small it is no longer Jesus.
Well, here’s the cut-off point? Before being consumed, when does the Blessed Sacrament stop being the King of the Universe? Due to this uncertainty I feel that communion in the hand is basically ‘risky business’ so to speak. How do we know that we are not leaving our Lord behind on the back of the pew or on our pants?

An aside:

I’m really disappointed with the casual treatment of the Blessed Sacrament.

Imagine a Mass where only consecrated hands touched our Lord
… where everyone knelt and received on the tongue
… where the Blessed Sacrament was kept front and centre on the high altar
… where we didn’t use everyday language because we want to show reverence and great love and respect for our Lord and Saviour.

What have we today? I cannot look up as my fellow parishoners receive. And I know that most of them are more holy than I am. But the diminished reverence really, really gets to me.
That is exactly how I feel! Thank you! I thought at times to be alone! God bless you! 🙂
 
frankly i’m a little tired of this “better than thou” attitude of some people here who chose to receive on the tongue and looking down on those who choose to receive by the hand as if we who receive by the hand do not understand the Sacrament nor have as much reverence for The Lord as they do
 
It doesn’t matter what mechanical process is used to distribute the Eucharist. Eucharistic dust flies up when the priest breaks bread.And gets transported by the air currents in the church.

There are small pieces of the Eucharist in the air at church. Some of the dust on the pews is likely from the Eucharist.

Its in the trash bags at the church. It’s in garbage trucks on the way to the dump. Its in the laundry when the linens from Mass are washed, its in the water going down the drain to the sewerage treatment plant.

Its in the water evaporating into the air, its in the rain that falls on gardens, the Eucharist is in the blooms of flowers.

But we know God is everywhere so whats the big deal?

Peace
 
This is a perfect example of why the Eucharist should be received on the tongue only.

BTW, I found this elsewhere on this website:

*"Vatican II never mentioned receiving the host in hand. But when some countries introduced the practice illicitly Pope Paul VI surveyed the world’s bishops to see if it should be allowed where it already existed. Rather than suddenly suppressing reception in the hand, the pope granted an indult intended to let the practice continue for a time in those areas where it already existed. Oddly enough, the bishops of the United States—where the practice did not exist—asked permission of the Holy See to introduce it here. Even more amazingly, they got it.

Still, universal Church law does not permit reception of the Sacrament in the hand, and John Paul II disapproves of the practice. The indult that allowed it specified that reception in the hand “must not be imposed” (CSDW, En réponse, 1969)."*
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top