L
Lepanto
Guest
This is not true at all.With the hosts that are made today, crumbs are rarely a problem.
I have volunteered as a sacristan for years. My responsibilities include opening up the packages of hosts in our sacristy as they come in from the vendor. Many of the packages arrive with broken hosts and have many crumbs bouncing around. Mind you, these are mass-produced hosts made in modern factory bakeries, not by little nuns using 12th century technology. I routinely toss out numerous broken hosts and crumbs before Masses.
Mind you, these hosts are marketed as “Crumble Resistant,” not “Crumble Proof.” If you want “Crumble Proof,” you will need hosts made of iron, not bread.
I also see the ciboria after Mass. Their bottoms are FILLED with crumbs, but in this case the crumbs are the Eucharist, not just bread. I trust the priest to consume these.
But what about all the Eucharist crumbs that ended up on the floor? This is only one of the many reasons why I always receive on the tongue, as the Church has historically done universally.