What would you like to see improved at your parish?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ilovebingcatholic123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ilovebingcatholic123

Guest
Which ministries do you see as needing the most improvement, how so, and why?

This is a question for seasoned Catholics and those considering Catholicism as well.

I’m asking as a council member at my own parish hoping to help improve various ministries in order to better serve the members of my parish family. 💕

This is not a “modernize” the Church kind of question. This is about ministry, community, and helping one another. I appreciate all honest responses 🙂
 
Last edited:
I think communication. You can have the best resources and ministries but if no one knows about them or people enquire and no one gets back to them then what’s the point
 
That’s a really good point. I completely agree. Thank you for sharing! Communication is definitely something I believe my own parish needs improvement on as well.
 
Less buzz, less activity, less focus on lay-ministries, less organisation and more quiet before and after Mass. Less Martha and more Mary.
 
I think that these days, a good website can help with ministry, communication, etc. But it has to be kept up-to-date, and the contacts listed gave to be responsive.
 
It just looks bad and incompetent when communication isn’t done well. I have seen it on here when people who have no luck with email get told to track down the relevant person, keep chasing and stalk and grovel if necessary.

Most people don’t want to do this and many will find other avenues where the organisers do bother to reply to emails and provide up to date information on ministry or volunteering.
 
More weekday afternoon Mass options. It makes no sense to me why 35 area parishes need to have Mass at 8 am, or 6:30 am and 8 am, every single weekday, and only about 5 have either a noon or a late afternoon/ evening option.

Some of the parishes I visit in other dioceses trade off days and have a 5 or 6 pm on two weekdays and an 8 am the other three. That seems like a good plan to me.

And POST YOUR MASS TIMES in big print on your website so it’s the first thing I see when I pull up the page. I don’t want to have to hunt through your page menus, pictures of your youth group, welcome messages or anything else to find the times for Mass.
 
Last edited:
Our parish is humming. there are almost too many ministries.
Re music ministry:
My preference would be to have one organist, one singer. But I’m a trad when it comes to music.
 
An increase in the ability to come together as a community to offer devotions I. E. Rosary, divine mercy, prayer group or such and regular adoration. Outside of weekday mass and Sunday Mass there is not a great deal going on in my local parish
 
I want us to have an actual Church building! We are currently using another parish’s chapel.
 
Less buzz, less activity, less focus on lay-ministries, less organisation and more quiet before and after Mass. Less Martha and more Mary.
You put it more succinctly than I was about to do. I recently had to make a change of parishes. This may sound nearly unthinkable to many, but the one change I would want is to have communion under one species only.

Both my old parish and my new one are very large parishes. My old parish had communion under one kind only. We never had more than 4 EMHC’s. Communion went smoothly. The new parish has 14 EMHC’s, making the communion quite unwieldy.

Also, there are just way too many people at the altar.
 
Before a pastor makes changes to a parish-and this is something you do on you parish council?-ask parishioners what they need the most. Because pastors come and go.
 
Yes. A mass at 9am or even one parish with a 12n mass. I’ve been lazy about getting up for early mass; 7/8 nearby
 
My preference would be to have one organist, one singer. But I’m a trad when it comes to music.
Probably ought to eschew the organ and go for acapella, then. I’m a traditionalist of a different sort - acapella congregational plainchaint. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top